Oh dear, oh dear, another 1250 dies

So how many dead 1250s so far?

Given the issues with the gs versions over the years, eg servo, feul pump controller, ring antennae, corrosion on the front engine case etc, seems odd that this site has not evolved a scheme to capture such data for the latest gs (this comment is made by someone fighting a daily irrational urge to get a 1250 and looking for sensible excuses not to commit....must....not.....test....ride......must....not.....test....ride.....must....not.....test....ride....)

74. No more, no less.

Not too bad then, but I think they may have cut costs on the battery, Bike mag had a total electronic failure, also that teapot beardy weirdy chap had the same.

So I’ll wait a year for BMW to realise their error and return to Brembos and reliable batteries ;)

Not too bad then, but I think they may have cut costs on the battery, Bike mag had a total electronic failure, also that teapot beardy weirdy chap had the same.

So I’ll wait a year for BMW to realise their error and return to Brembos and reliable batteries ;)

Lets hope you make the next 12 months , bodies fail as well as bike you know lol the clock never stops ticking ……..tick tock .. i'm off on my yet to fail 1250...:bounce1:thumb:thumb

Where have those figures come from and have you the total production figures so far. I ask as not to chide but of interest as an overlook on other makes would make good reading.

Wappings Mum told me. :D

Not just 1250, my mates 2018 1200 GSA has just died - same thing, new battery fitted and back to life. All been good, just went out to it at the weekend and completely dead.

Shit-can :D

To be fair though, these are accurate examples of the 'beta-testing' program new buyers are subjected to.... they are not field ready yet.

R1250 will be ready in 3 years time :D

It's been the same for years. It's well known in the trade that the MK2 of any vehicle is the best version to have.

MK1- is the beta/test vehicle.

MK2- has all the teething problems sorted out.

MK3- the bean counters have moved in and start cutting costs.

Ok, putting the shiftcam tech to one side, is all the rest of the 1250gs at the Mk2 phase ie well developed / sorted components carried fwd from previous generation of the gs? The shiftcam system maybe a Mk1 'subsystem' but surely a 3yr warranty suggests a decent safetynet is in place????

It's been the same for years. It's well known in the trade that the MK2 of any vehicle is the best version to have.

MK1- is the beta/test vehicle.

MK2- has all the teething problems sorted out.

MK3- the bean counters have moved in and start cutting costs.

Does this mean that my now sold 2017 triple black GSA was the best if 1200s?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1250 fail

meanwhile ill just get my 05 r1200gs out press the button and ride off into the ICE, like I did today, as usual enjoyed every minute, of my 2 hour ride, with my grips ON, got back felt great, is it me?? do you need a new BMW???? WITH PROBLEMS????:friday:friday:friday

meanwhile ill just get my 05 r1200gs out press the button and ride off into the ICE, like I did today, as usual enjoyed every minute, of my 2 hour ride, with my grips ON, got back felt great, is it me?? do you need a new BMW???? WITH PROBLEMS????:friday:friday:friday

Is 2 bikes with potentially battery issues out of thousands even a problem ? Probably no different if not better than your 2005 model as a problem rate when they were first introduced as a new model. I bet when your bike came out, people with earlier bikes were saying the same thing about yours.

I guess you either embrace technology or u don’t, neither is right or wrong, just different choices.

Every GS I’ve owned had an average to poor battery. Had a number replaced under warranty. Used to replace them as a matter of course with odyssey batteries as they would crank so much stronger particularly when the engine was hot.
The LC was the first Gs I’ve had where the standard battery felt any good but that was probably down to the LC engine and how it turned over than the battery.

Yeah, gotta agree, Spoonz.

Take any bike, google "problems with...." and you will find a plethora of information; stories, publications and guides to tell you what to look out for and possible problems. In some cases you can even find historical data from forums etc.

Take a bike, like a 2005 BMW GS, for example, and FF 14 years. The ones that are left are the ones out of a fair number of them sold that haven't had a fuel pump failure, an ABS pump replaced, a leaky gearbox seal, a failed shock after 15K miles or, maybe, they have had these and possibly other problems, and they have been fixed and are good to go for many miles yet. In some cases, owners are just lucky and never see any of these problems, ever. So they are now running around reliably with owners on high horses telling everyone what great bikes they still are when the reality is nothing has changed.:rolleyes:

Yeah, gotta agree, Spoonz.

Take any bike, google "problems with...." and you will find a plethora of information; stories, publications and guides to tell you what to look out for and possible problems. In some cases you can even find historical data from forums etc.

Take a bike, like a 2005 BMW GS, for example, and FF 14 years. The ones that are left are the ones out of a fair number of them sold that haven't had a fuel pump failure, an ABS pump replaced, a leaky gearbox seal, a failed shock after 15K miles or, maybe, they have had these and possibly other problems, and they have been fixed and are good to go for many miles yet. In some cases, owners are just lucky and never see any of these problems, ever. So they are now running around reliably with owners on high horses telling everyone what great bikes they still are when the reality is nothing has changed.:rolleyes:

I don’t see how riding around on a 14 year old bike, trying to convince people that new bikes are no better will hold much water on here tbh.

I don’t see how riding around on a 14 year old bike, trying to convince people that new bikes are no better will hold much water on here tbh.
You obviously don't ride a 1954 Panther then.

It is clear the world went down hill markedly when one no longer lit the headlight or that clutches were installed.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

I'm not sure I understand that, Nutty? You're either missing my point or we're saying the same thing.

What I'm saying is that when the 2006 GS came out it also had its fair share of problems just like any bike that's ever been made. To come on here saying you ride one and it's better than any modern bike is hogwash because you aren't comparing like with like. Comparing the first year of launch for each bike would be more equitable. In 13 years time some bod might come on here who owns my bike and scoff at our children who have just bought a new GS and yet...... some of the bikes running around today that were bought at the same time as mine will not because they have had problems, been scrapped, whatever. They will just happen to be one of the lucky ones who got a good one. As I say, nothing changes.

I'm not sure I understand that, Nutty? You're either missing my point or we're saying the same thing.

What I'm saying is that when the 2006 GS came out it also had its fair share of problems just like any bike that's ever been made. To come on here saying you ride one and it's better than any modern bike is hogwash because you aren't comparing like with like. Comparing the first year of launch for each bike would be more equitable. In 13 years time some bod might come on here who owns my bike and scoff at our children who have just bought a new GS and yet...... some of the bikes running around today that were bought at the same time as mine will not because they have had problems, been scrapped, whatever. They will just happen to be one of the lucky ones who got a good one. As I say, nothing changes.

We’re saying the same thing. :thumb

Back
Top Bottom