Clothing hints for Spain.

Deleted account 220214001

Reaction score
A friend of mine asked me recently for a recommendation on what gear to bring next summer for our annual Picos tour.

I'm no expert, so please take whatever you read with a large pinch of salt. I do, however have some experience riding here (in fact almost all my experience consists of riding in Spain)

Many of you just bring what you have. I know, I can see it; riders wearing Rukka, Halvarssons and many wear the whole BMW shabang. I have no criticism to make; I think it's fine and everyone has their reasons. Even Spaniards wear leather here sometimes. For some, nothing less will do. Again, fine. I'm not trying to change anyone's mind or preferences. This is just for anyone who perhaps hasn't ridden in Spain before and who isn't wed to laminate or leather.

For Spain I use a mesh drop liner suit and If anyone is interested I'll tell you why I think it's the perfect suit for Spain.

Riding home from our annual Picos tour last September through Burgos, Guadalajara, Cuenca and Teruel all I needed was the mesh outer. At times I encountered well over 30 degree heat even at night, and the airflow a mesh suit gives is just ideal for comfort and endurance. I rarely ever use the warm liner, especially in the summer months and actually I prefer a woolly jumper or fleece anyway when I do need it. The waterproof liners fit easily inside a 1l freezer ziploc and crush down very easily to much less as do the warm layers if necessary. The WP liner is often a necessary windbreak, though, in temperatures below 20 degrees. Adjust that to suit your individual temp comfort range; for the penguins among you the range will be much lower, of course.

The major disadvantage of a drop liner suit is that if you encounter heavy rain, it is totally unsuitable if it goes on for a prolonged period of time. For that, you will need a rainsuit as well. Again, a rainsuit can be put in a slightly larger ziploc bag and crushed down to less than half its volume. For Picos riding this applies at any time of year, sadly. Another disadvantage over a laminate is the requirement to carry the liners and, possibly, a rainsuit which can be a faff and a deal-breaker for some. But I really can't overstate the importance of ventilation in the summer heat.

If all you have is a laminate, then so be it but except between Nov - March it really is too much for these climes. There are many advantages to a laminate suit but I guarantee you that no matter how much ventilation it has, it won't be enough between May and October south of the Picos/Pyrennees. July and August..... even Goretex won't save you.

Use & Lose.

A great idea for touring (shorter than 2 weeks) is to save your old smalls. Wash them one last time and save them in a box in a garage. As you go, use and lose. Same with old T shirts.

Wicking T layers.

Obviously you can use the old ones mentioned above to use and lose but Uniqlo do a fantastic range called AIRism. For hot summer riding under the jacket they are the dog's!

Other options.

I invested in a pair of ROKKER Revolution jeans a couple of years ago. They are pretty awesome and well worth their money. For anyone who isn't familiar with them they are single layer, waterproof, windproof and pretty tough with a good slide rating, and very comfortable to boot. The comfortable temp range is from about 8 - 24 degrees where you feel neither hot nor cold. Outside of these ranges they are just like any other jean, though, so no use in Jul - Sept. They come with all the armour.

Totally agree on the use it & lose it as well as wicking base layers. Even on a long trip I ‘use & lose’ for the first day or so when I tend to do long days or spend time on the ferry when drying washed clothes isn’t practical.

I’ve used both mesh gear and laminate in Spain in July & August and much prefer laminate (Klim Badlands) with a hydration bladder. Even drinking constantly when wearing mesh I found I dehydrated too fast. Main benefit of the mesh clothing was weight, much lighter than the Badlands but when riding this doesn’t really make a difference, only when walking around is it better. I found I was more comfortable in the Badlands overall, although in both it’s hot, hot, hot.

I’ll be in Spain again in June/July this year and I suspect it will be the Badlands again especially if it’s going to be high 30’s when keeping the hot air away from my skin is important.

Yep, like I said, no criticism and all good if that is what you like. For sure you will get more protection with the Badlands but they are a bit like Rukka (I've heard, no experience), pretty stiff (and expensive, so you have to use it :D ). I'm a slight build. I also find being hot very uncomfortable which affects my riding and I do long days mostly.

Horses for courses, of course, for the type of touring/riding I do, I prefer light gear and riding in rain accounts for about 5% of my riding in a year so Gore-tex is all but wasted on me.

Always good for others to put their view on this, though, because we are all different.

:thumb2

Yep, like I said, no criticism and all good if that is what you like. For sure you will get more protection with the Badlands but they are a bit like Rukka (I've heard, no experience), pretty stiff (and expensive, so you have to use it :D ). I'm a slight build. I also find being hot very uncomfortable which affects my riding and I do long days mostly.

Horses for courses, of course, for the type of touring/riding I do, I prefer light gear and riding in rain accounts for about 5% of my riding in a year so Gore-tex is all but wasted on me.

Always good for others to put their view on this, though, because we are all different.

:thumb2

Slight build ? Fuck off !!!

Thanks for this guide. I will be in Spain late May and found this very useful.
The Rokker jeans look a tad too rich for me but I'll certainly look at the Uniqlo kit.:thumby:

Done a few trips to the Pyrenees in the summer first time i was fully kitted up in Klim latitude jacket and trousers all vents open and sweating like a P I G.

Since then I use a Richa vented summer jacket and kevlar jeans way more comfortable. The Jacket comes with a waterproof spray top Im guessing showerproof and i take Gul waterproof over trousers.
I usually go with a group of 8 - 10 others who also ride with similar gear some carry waterproof over suit.

Done a few trips to the Pyrenees in the summer first time i was fully kitted up in Klim latitude jacket and trousers all vents open and sweating like a P I G.

Since then I use a Richa vented summer jacket and kevlar jeans way more comfortable. The Jacket comes with a waterproof spray top Im guessing showerproof and i take Gul waterproof over trousers.
I usually go with a group of 8 - 10 others who also ride with similar gear some carry waterproof over suit.

When it’s in the high 30’s you’ll still sweat in mesh gear it just evaporates quickly so you feel dry, but then dehydration can set in. In none mesh vented gear the sweat stays around longer, so you feel it, but it is then doing its job and cooling you down with less risk of dehydration.

Mesh is great in the mid to high 20’s up to body temp when the breeze cools you down, once the temp is above 34 the breeze heats you up.

Revit Poseidon jacket with the cooling liner you soak, wring out and wear. Worked great in 34 degree's.......... Just as long as you keep moving that is.

Lasts for around 3 hrs with all the vents open fully.

Sweat needs to evaporate, that’s how it cools you

A mesh jacket is much better than even a well vented jacket that leaves you soaked

It gets hot over here in the summer
Each to their own, I’ve used both Mesh & vented and in temps above 30c I prefer vented gear with a cool vest on occasions, but only when it’s above 34c less than that I find the open vents sufficient. Never going to be cool but comfortable will do.

May also depend on ratio of time riding v time spend in the bar/cafe, mesh gear I’d much better when stopped.

We tend to wear Jeans with protection and mesh jacket.

I do admit to being reckless at times and often don't wear a jacket - yes I know the risks...

When it’s in the high 30’s you’ll still sweat in mesh gear it just evaporates quickly so you feel dry, but then dehydration can set in. In none mesh vented gear the sweat stays around longer, so you feel it, but it is then doing its job and cooling you down with less risk of dehydration.

Mesh is great in the mid to high 20’s up to body temp when the breeze cools you down, once the temp is above 34 the breeze heats you up.

Its personal preference really, some of the guys who came on our 2017 trip had jackets with vents it was particularly hot in the Pyrenees 35+ they ended up buying mesh jackets in Andorra.

I’ve just bought Rev It Airwave 2 jacket and pants for Spain this year . Great fit as always with Rev It

+ ! for Revit Airwave 2.

I used their jacket and trousers combo when I lived in Southern Spain and for my tour of Morocco. Good kit at a reasonable price. I did need a "short" fit in the troos dept as the standard were way too long. Bought from FC Moto using one of their regular discount codes.

I'm doing a three day ride in Southern Spain (Malaga, Ronda etc) end of April, start May. First time I've done this. I was gonna wear my Atlantis 4 trousers & BM Comfortshell jacket.

Will I boil in those trousers?

Should I invest in a pair textile trousers or maybe some single layer bike jeans?

Back
Top Bottom