Exhaust studs what to do with this mess

If you fancy doing it yourself Ollie there's a place in Ballymount that sells the cobalt bits and taps.
You need to be bang on centre and have lots of patience.
It took me 2 hours per stud on the CBR

Depends on whether you are into engineering , if you are , clean off ( really clean ) then mig weld a nut on from the inside of the nut . Then I would heat the nut till it's really hot , not dripping but bright red , then I would let it cool completely , then tap the nut in a good few times so see if the grip can be broken ,,drown it in plus gas ,, leave for an overnight then try loosening by tapping it again then tightening a wee bit first , then give it a go at winding it back , If you are not accustomed to drilling and tapping , take it to someone who is .

Depends on whether you are into engineering , if you are , clean off ( really clean ) then mig weld a nut on from the inside of the nut . Then I would heat the nut till it's really hot , not dripping but bright red , then I would let it cool completely , then tap the nut in a good few times so see if the grip can be broken ,,drown it in plus gas ,, leave for an overnight then try loosening by tapping it again then tightening a wee bit first , then give it a go at winding it back , If you are not accustomed to drilling and tapping , take it to someone who is .

I think if you weld a nut onto the stud, it will be red hot, by the welding process.

Folks thanks again for all the advice and suggestions it's great to have this at the end of a keyboard . I have a mate who's helping me on this project and he worked in the tool making engineering field before he retired and is definitely more blessed with his hands than me. Our plan is to look at all the suggestions here and try and remove them ourselves, however if we are unsuccessful and before we make a pigs ear of it we will admit defeat and take the heads to somebody else for them to sort.
Cheers
Dub 24

is dub 24 living in Dublin?
I could help if you have the head off.

Hey Pat we met at Leenane last year I had the pleasure of seeing your workshop and the work you do so if I am unsuccessful in my own efforts I will certainly make contact with you and thanks a million for your offer of help

Yea, those rotten studs are hidden behind nice shiny chrome domed nuts...
Been there .
If you are indeed in Dublin, I can recommend calling Bert at:

http://www.motoengineering.com

Top work for sure .

Sent from my BND-L21 using Tapatalk

Hey super 10
Thanks for the suggestion if it's the Bert I know who was a mechanic for an Italian brand he is certainly the dog's under carriage when it comes to all matters pertaining to two wheels
Dub 24

If you fancy doing it yourself Ollie there's a place in Ballymount that sells the cobalt bits and taps.
You need to be bang on centre and have lots of patience.
It took me 2 hours per stud on the CBR

Cheers CBR

Looks like there is nothing much holding on the exhaust headers...
... check the photos on first post?

Yep .......

zsvkfr.jpg

:D

sorry couldn't resist

Looks like there is nothing much holding on the exhaust headers...
... check the photos on first post?

I would humbly suggest that I did, and this was the reason for saying: Leave well enough alone. If disturbed, it might mean a heads off job, left alone, may well outlive the bike. More than secure enough as it is.
Until BMW learn to copy the Japanese on how to attach exhaust pipes to bike cylinder heads, this will be an ongoing problem.
Note that, on the new 1250, they have finally recognised that an inverted tooth cam chain is superior to a roller one. Something the Japanese realised 40 years ago.

I would humbly suggest that I did, and this was the reason for saying: Leave well enough alone. If disturbed, it might mean a heads off job, left alone, may well outlive the bike. More than secure enough as it is.
Until BMW learn to copy the Japanese on how to attach exhaust pipes to bike cylinder heads, this will be an ongoing problem.
Note that, on the new 1250, they have finally recognised that an inverted tooth cam chain is superior to a roller one. Something the Japanese realised 40 years ago.
Cheers mate appreciate your suggestion but unfortunately I am committed to a full on resto and don't want to leave that mess as it is and I realise I am probably giving myself serious ball ache but sher what the hell.
Cheers
Dub 24

I went through this with a ground up restoration of an R1100RS a few years ago, with something such as the cylinder heads and the cost of potential replacements (even used) you really are best off taking them to an engineering workshop to get them done properly. Then if they have the problem it is down to them to sort out and you don't have twice the hassle and cost if you bugger them up. You could be lucky with one or two that come out with little persuasion but there will be others which will sit tight as if they had been welded in.

Good luck with the restoration, once it is all done you will have piece of mind in that it is all sorted and hopefully have a keeper.

This may or may not work but I’ve removed seriously damaged nuts by using a cam type stud extractor on the nut to remove it, wind a new nut on part way and use that as a drill bush to put a good centre dot in the middle of the stud. Once you’re confident you’ve got that dead centre go up in stages to drill it out. If you’ve got access to a set of left hand drill bits once you’ve got a good hole in the middle floor it with Plusgas, go for dinner then return and hit it with the left hand bit. About 70% of the time the stud will spin out with the drill.

Andy b11 karlread cheers lads for.your help and advice

spark erode ? years ago a company in Wigan had one of these, SUTCLIFFE ENGENEERING. but sadly I have no idea were they went? they sorted a Z1000 head out for me and it cost £10,them were the days????

I drilled the studs out on my 1150 GSA and retapped them in situ. A cordless dremel is your friend to grind the studs flat, then punch the centre and go handy with a box of cobalt bits. The studs are proper hard.

If you're restoring the bike then those heads look like they need a good blast and re-powdercoat. I would get them off and send them to a machine shop, then clean up using aqua or soda blasting.

Note Steptoe's oilway comment as very important! I read a few threads here before doing mine.

Back
Top Bottom