Exhaust studs what to do with this mess

dub 24

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hey folks looking for the collective wisdom on how to tackle this next issue on the rebuild please see below what's left after mother nature has attacked the studs.
As always all advice and suggestions are most welcome

Cheers Dub 24

Attachments

• IMG_20190120_203053[1].jpg
    IMG_20190120_203053[1].jpg
    259.5 KB · Views: 692
  • IMG_20190120_203123[1].jpg
    IMG_20190120_203123[1].jpg
    244.1 KB · Views: 678
  • IMG_20190120_203215[1].jpg
    IMG_20190120_203215[1].jpg
    258.8 KB · Views: 668
Looks familiar.

In my experience, the best course of action was to take the head off and deal with it using engineering techniques, or find someone who can do it for you.

It took me a long time to come to that conclusion, sadly.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

If you had the requisite skills and tools you would not need to ask So take it to someone who has This will be more cost effective than (a) buying tools and drill bits and taps etc and (b) scrapping the head attempting to do it

Just my 2p and in no way meant other than friendly advice for which you asked

:beerjug:

:popcorn

If you have the welder this would be my thought, clean up the area first to see what is really left over, then apply technique in video below.

Chip it back to sound metal and weld a bolt onto it, then get it hot hot and it will maybe unscrew. A bit of hammering directly in line with the stud axis usually helps as well. Looks like it may have rotted through to the stud in which case you need to be careful not to be welding onto that instead of the nut. There's very little you can't get off with heat although it does look like an extreme case!

Hammer the clamp to try and loosen it up first.

Or maybe if you can get in with a Dremel and shave the side of the nut down either side of the stud with a cutting disc till the stud threads are exposed.

Be very patient, the nightmare scenario is shearing the stud off flush with the alloy of the head, it's very difficult to get the broken bits out.

Have fun...:D

Concur with the reply from Bisbee - get someone else to sort it out. Don't make more of a mess than it already is!

Bike is old.

Unless you need to dismantle for a reason which absolutely requires the removal,
leave well enough alone.
Then you do not have a problem.
Myke

Clean them off and weld nuts onto the remains, if that won’t work, centre punch, make sure the punch is in the centre, you can move the punch mark, by angling the punch towards where you want it to go, then use a good quality cobalt drill, making sure you drill it square, don’t drill it to deep, the new studs should give you an idea,

If you drill a bit of wood using a pillar drill, you can use that to ensure you’re drilling it square,

Then drill progressively bigger up to the tapping hole size, then re tap the hole, if you get it slightly off, you may have to helicoil it,

It’s hard to get it square and on centre, so the welding a nut on trick is always worth doing first, and it’s worth paying someone who is used to doing that kind of work competently.

Folks thanks for all the advice as I have said before £12.00 a year subscription is a tiny price to pay for the information and advice you'll receive. I will let ye know how I got on.
Many thanks
Dub 24

Warning, be very careful.... Do not drill too deep, there is an oil way behind the exhaust stud .

it’s worth paying someone who is used to doing that kind of work competently.

This. I had the same issue on my 1100 and eventually admitted defeat and found a professional to replace the studs for me. Didn't cost that much either.

Good luck.

Looks familiar.

In my experience, the best course of action was to take the head off and deal with it using engineering techniques, or find someone who can do it for you.

It took me a long time to come to that conclusion, sadly.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Yup! Lots of grief thereby body swerved! :thumb

As has already been suggested, unless you have the proper workshop facilities, tools, welder and the engineering skills then take it to a small local engineering firm. Good luck.

Yea, those rotten studs are hidden behind nice shiny chrome domed nuts...
Been there .
If you are indeed in Dublin, I can recommend calling Bert at:

http://www.motoengineering.com

Top work for sure .

Sent from my BND-L21 using Tapatalk

Didn't know that place existed :blast looks like top work alright :thumb2 wonder if it's the 'Bert' i'm thinking of. :confused:

Didn't know that place existed :blast looks like top work alright :thumb2 wonder if it's the 'Bert' i'm thinking of. :confused:
Sound bloke, a biker himself too. Got several jobs done, small and huge.
He's in Clontarf.

Sent from my BND-L21 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom