Athy Heritage Centre & Museum

Bin Ridin

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi,

Went to Athy Heritage Centre & Museum yesterday with large group from DMTC. Very enjoyable, interesting place.

There is a Shackleton exhibition there, on loan from Norway, until 1st March. Quite a lot of info, you would be amazed at the rivalry between Scott and others over who had the "right"to explore the Antarctic!

They have a video about the Gordon Bennett race in 1903 (who knew that this is where the BRG colour came from?). Did not see much info other than the video, but maybe it was covered over by the Norwegian exhibition.

Another exhibition on Religions around Athy, especially the Quakers there and in Ballitore.

4th slot is given to the WW1 men from Athy. Some heroes for sure. Poignant.

As a way to spend a Sunday afternoon, I can think of worse!

Bin

It was a bit crowded with 25+ bikers - they opened specially for us! I'll go another time and do the photies!

Attachments

• Endurance 1-15 Scale Model 20Jan2019.jpg
    Endurance 1-15 Scale Model 20Jan2019.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 154
  • Shackleton Bronze 20Jan2019.JPG
    Shackleton Bronze 20Jan2019.JPG
    237.9 KB · Views: 152
His resting place - a hero of mine (with Tom Crean)

Attachments

• PB160214.jpg
    PB160214.jpg
    253.5 KB · Views: 140
He sure covered a lot of ground in his almost-48 years here on Earth. Even pre-Endurance, he had a huge score on the board. Imagine the Antarctic trips by him and others, it would be like Apollo going to the Moon.

Incidentally he featured in a BBC Heroes episode recently but one major untruth crept in - it was clearly said that he took the potential trouble makers (5) in the boat with him lest they demoralise the Elephant island crew left behind. Manifestly untrue & a major injustice to the men in the boat. He had a difficult relationship with McNish apparently but taking the carpenter was not a decision based on potential negatives.

Yeahbut ...

I like the sound of that for a day trip. :)

It was a bit crowded with 25+ bikers - they opened specially for us! I'll go another time and do the photies!
So if us mere mortals go on a Sunday it'll be closed then? :(

So if us mere mortals go on a Sunday it'll be closed then? :(

It used to be a case that they only opened Mon-Fri which I always thought was great for a tourist attraction :rolleyes:
But if you Google it you'll find they're now open Sat & Sun 12-4
Must visit again before March....

It used to be a case that they only opened Mon-Fri which I always thought was great for a tourist attraction :rolleyes:
But if you Google it you'll find they're now open Sat & Sun 12-4
Must visit again before March....

Ooh, Ta for that. :)

Back
Top Bottom