Value?

King Rat

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
X reg 1100RT with 60,000 miles.... I know, condition etc... reasonable nick. What would be a realistic price? £1250?

They are great bikes when well sorted, but can be a money pit if needing the usual repairs, like clutch, gearbox, (Leaky rear gearbox seal getting on clutch down pushrod tube DAHIK) stainless lines, abs, para-lever bearings, final drive, discs, under fairing corrosion dodgy wiring, HES, upgrade weedy horn,

Had mine 10 years and have done most the above, and before that had another one, same colour

This years jobs are full service, brake fluid change, new fork seals, fuel filter, upgrade fuel lines as modern fuel is softening them, side stand switch not working, new tyres & front brake pads and various cosmetic tinkering jobs

R1100RT Service by Mark Handley, on Flickr

But all worth it as when well sorted these are great bikes and straightforward to work on, but be prepared to pay pay £2.5 - £3k plus for bikes as sorted as this.

Cheers chaps - why is the RT1150 so much less reliable than the Gs1150? My GS 1150s have all been very reliable, no clutch woes in 125,000 miles on one, 98,000 on the other - and current one is a baby at only 35,000. :D

In fact on the others I hardly had any trouble at all - none of those big jobs you have mentioned. Maybe my mechanical sympathy when riding (Midshipman Slow) means I am not putting the same amount of strain on everything? Who knows. Big problem was the servo brakes on both... servo removed, standard hydraulic brakes, no problem! :thumby:

Cheers chaps - why is the RT1150 so much less reliable than the Gs1150? My GS 1150s have all been very reliable, no clutch woes in 125,000 miles on one, 98,000 on the other - and current one is a baby at only 35,000. :D

In fact on the others I hardly had any trouble at all - none of those big jobs you have mentioned. Maybe my mechanical sympathy when riding (Midshipman Slow) means I am not putting the same amount of strain on everything? Who knows. Big problem was the servo brakes on both... servo removed, standard hydraulic brakes, no problem! :thumby:

Theoneandonly, Thanks but much prefer the access allowed by my current method:thumb2

King rat, my mechanical sympathy is fine thanks, done about 100000 miles on 2 R1100RT's 35000 on a R1200RT and 150000 including courier mileage on a R100RT.

A bit of background on the big jobs, My bike has only had some of the big jobs mentioned the rest are jobs often found on higher mileage R1100's my discs, HES, are all original and OK,

The final drive was replaced just before a brought the bike because the previous owner did not fix a oil leak and let it run dry.

The 2p oil seal failure at the back of the gearbox which then oiled the clutch via the push rod tube just happens sometimes, its not due to unsympathetic riding :D

Fixing it requires a strip of the box, which in turn allowed some bearings and selectors to be changed, to cure crunching between 2nd & 3rd.

Inspection of the para-lever bearings showed wear so the were changed also, some mods were done to prevent another oil seal failure allowing oil down the push-rod tube

Is the R11500RT less reliable than the R1150GS? dont know about that, but I do know the R1100 RT/GS is more relable than the R1150:thumb

Generally there is a huge difference in using a bike for predominately long distance touring that is otherwise garaged and well maintained opposed to a daily all weather hack used for commuting in all weathers and perhaps stored outside, and serviced badly, if ever with cheap crap service parts, those are often the £1000 R1100RT's you will find on fleabay

Theoneandonly, Thanks but much prefer the access allowed by my current method:thumb2

King rat, my mechanical sympathy is fine thanks, done about 100000 miles on 2 R1100RT's 35000 on a R1200RT and 150000 including courier mileage on a R100RT.

A bit of background on the big jobs, My bike has only had some of the big jobs mentioned the rest are jobs often found on higher mileage R1100's my discs, HES, are all original and OK,

The final drive was replaced just before a brought the bike because the previous owner did not fix a oil leak and let it run dry.

The 2p oil seal failure at the back of the gearbox which then oiled the clutch via the push rod tube just happens sometimes, its not due to unsympathetic riding :D

Fixing it requires a strip of the box, which in turn allowed some bearings and selectors to be changed, to cure crunching between 2nd & 3rd.

Inspection of the para-lever bearings showed wear so the were changed also, some mods were done to prevent another oil seal failure allowing oil down the push-rod tube

Is the R11500RT less reliable than the R1150GS? dont know about that, but I do know the R1100 RT/GS is more relable than the R1150:thumb

Generally there is a huge difference in using a bike for predominately long distance touring that is otherwise garaged and well maintained opposed to a daily all weather hack used for commuting in all weathers and perhaps stored outside, and serviced badly, if ever with cheap crap service parts, those are often the £1000 R1100RT's you will find on fleabay

Interesting that the 1100 (I meant not 1150 I put) is more reliable than the 1150.... my GS bikes have all been 1150s without the woes spoken of. Sounds like it might make a good, cheap bike then - not for me, for a friend who is used to Japanese squirters!
Thanks for the help.

Back
Top Bottom