The new Triumph 1200 scrambler XE in bike mag today

Robbo1200ADV

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Yes it’s in there today. I took a shine to the bike at the NEC , best new bike there I thought
They like it ( I know they probably pay for a lot of content) but it looks a lovely bike
It’s bid enough for us tall guys , beautifully built and goes well they say
Using such a bohemouth off road sound stupid but it coped ok
I mean some of you guys go off road on your GS’s so good to know
It looks lovely , but they say a GS steers better at low speed and hides its weight better
I love my GSA , it’s a 2017 and the best of all I have owned. However I love the look of the new XE so will give it a test ride . It has to be brilliant to ride not just look at for me to do a trade , did that with the scrambler R9T and that was wrong for me. Anyone else interested in this bike ?

I’m watching this very closely... waiting for the 21st Feb - will get a test ride soon after..

Yes it’s in there today. I took a shine to the bike at the NEC , best new bike there I thought
They like it ( I know they probably pay for a lot of content) but it looks a lovely bike
It’s bid enough for us tall guys , beautifully built and goes well they say
Using such a bohemouth off road sound stupid but it coped ok
I mean some of you guys go off road on your GS’s so good to know
It looks lovely , but they say a GS steers better at low speed and hides its weight better
I love my GSA , it’s a 2017 and the best of all I have owned. However I love the look of the new XE so will give it a test ride . It has to be brilliant to ride not just look at for me to do a trade , did that with the scrambler R9T and that was wrong for me. Anyone else interested in this bike ?

Part of me likes it but I'm still a bit pissed off that the OE suspension was so shite on my T120 Black,though I know the XE has Ohlins up front.
Not sure I like the Scrambler thing anymore as it seems to have been done to death.Apart from that .....

Part of me likes it but I'm still a bit pissed off that the OE suspension was so shite on my T120 Black,though I know the XE has Ohlins up front.
Not sure I like the Scrambler thing anymore as it seems to have been done to death.Apart from that .....

Agreed . However it does look a great bike and things like a top box that I need for work can be fitted without it looking too shite

Online front and back I think

Quite a good review,even if it's by Boxerlust's cousin.....

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/R_t6fUrTBEQ" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I had an Explorer before my current GSA and have taken both off-road. I'm no giant at 5'8" but have to say that the GSA handles its mass way better. It flatters even novices on mixed (but not extreme) off road trails.

The Explorer scared the hell out of me and was bl**dy awful at slow speed due to being so top-heavy. It needed lots of care and loads of arm-wrenching effort to keep the damned thing upright. Got bogged down in gravel once and it took two of us the drag the damned thing out. Looking at the engine height of that Scrambler model, I'd say that's as much of a handful although the electronic package is likely more refined than my Mk1 Explorer's was. Looks lovely and would make a great road bike, but it's surely more a styling exercise as I can't see many off-road tour companies buying up Triumph scramblers in preference to GS's (for example).

At the launch last night. Mmmm!!!!! Now I know it's a scrambler but with a couple of ally panniers it would be the dog's doo dahs as a very purposeful all roads tourer. After market guys get it sorted!

I went to the Blades Stratford upon Avon launch and it does look a very tasty bike indeed - price From £12,300 and it has a joystick.....whatever that is?

I like it in white . I think the after market guys will be all over it . It seems like a GSA without the plastic . I’ve had 3 Tigers from 1994 onwards and loved them . Monster trailies they were called then. I see them selling a lot , the XE is for us big beggars the XC for you little fellas . Nice to see Triumph getting a great looking bike that you could RTW if you had the time / money . Mate of mine did a RTW on a trophy with no back up from Triumph .This was in 1996 . Robby Marshal , he did a book which was great. Sadly no longer with us . Too many demons

did the factory tour last week, they had all the press bikes in, very nice looking bike

...just back from a ride on one, ridden on some familiar and dry roads. It’s quite a nippy beasty :D

Trouble with me and test rides is I tend to ride like I stole it (in reality that’s try to ride it like I stole it) so you’re never quite sure what it would be like in real life. The engine seemed smooth, the size and positioning for me was very good ( it makes the standard scrambler look silly/tiny).

Great brakes, handled well, TFT nice and clear, heated grips good, could easily imagine having fun on a Morrocan piste but not a snotty muddy green lane. Didn’t notice heat from the exhaust although I think a pillion would not think the same.

In comparison to other bikes, it’s a bit like my Airhead special in being easy to hustle along, it even had a touch of HP2 size and feel about it.

Would I like one? Yes but the reality is it does not fill a gap in what I have already, it’s not quite an everyday bike (for me) like the Hexhead GSA, the fun side of a simple scrambler type bike is met by the Airhead Special - I think if I didn’t have the Airhead one would be finding its way into the garage?

Worth getting yourself a test ride

Attachments

• 11EA0ACD-B69F-4E5A-B1C5-B7865862C8A8.jpg
    11EA0ACD-B69F-4E5A-B1C5-B7865862C8A8.jpg
    256.6 KB · Views: 307
  • 9083A78D-4534-47E7-8738-EF8FD785BDB5.jpg
    9083A78D-4534-47E7-8738-EF8FD785BDB5.jpg
    261.3 KB · Views: 306
  • 3C609307-4607-4104-B9AB-D561B43B9E2E.jpg
    3C609307-4607-4104-B9AB-D561B43B9E2E.jpg
    264.7 KB · Views: 303
  • 6E107FB0-68EC-4DD3-8072-497C456D0476.jpg
    6E107FB0-68EC-4DD3-8072-497C456D0476.jpg
    262.2 KB · Views: 300
...just noticed the suspension travel mark on the front forks, I did think it was quite firm. On the way up to the Beacon you go over a catle grid that’s easy to get air over and today was no different. Nothing big, just enough for traction lights to have a little flicker but I’m suprise how little of it’s 250mm of travel it used.

Back
Top Bottom