Menton

Arthurmo

Reaction score
Hello,
Heading down this way in June and realise accommodations not cheap on the Riveria so does any one have any suggestions of good places to stay in this area or even across into Italy.

Thanks

Theres an Ibis styles in the centre of town with underground parking. Ive used it twice, not cheap but nice.

Theres an Ibis styles in the centre of town with underground parking. Ive used it twice, not cheap but nice.

Personally didn't like Menton sorry. If I was down that way again I'd look to stay in a small town 5-10 mile inland.

Personally didn't like Menton sorry. If I was down that way again I'd look to stay in a small town 5-10 mile inland.

Agreed. Menton is nothing special and why stay in a shite chain hotel when it's supposed to be a holiday.

Somewhere like Sospel just inland is much nicer. Try the L'Auberge Provencale. It's cheap but has character and a cracking view over the valley !

Thanks all, I'm going on a billy no mates tour so fine dining and cheese is not called for but you've given me some ideas. Thought I'd have a paddle in the sea with my string vest, hankie on head and blue legs but if Mentons mince I may well stay in the hills.

Remember Menton is on both the railway, and the Cote d’azure Bus Route, so the days you don’t want to run the bike, 1 Euro on the bus will take you to Monaco or Nice, and the railway on a Friday to Ventimmila which has a massive open air market. And some spectacular routes to Italy, in Menton you can access Italy / France (obviously) but the Gorge du Verdon etc, and Switzerland.

So don’t discount Menton

:thumb

Thanks all, I'm going on a billy no mates tour so fine dining and cheese is not called for but you've given me some ideas. Thought I'd have a paddle in the sea with my string vest, hankie on head and blue legs but if Mentons mince I may well stay in the hills.

I thought that but with a busy main road behind and a pebble beach it didn't live up to my expectations.

Agreed. Menton is nothing special and why stay in a shite chain hotel when it's supposed to be a holiday.

Somewhere like Sospel just inland is much nicer. Try the L'Auberge Provencale. It's cheap but has character and a cracking view over the valley !

You should change your name to Trivago or Trip advisor :beerjug:

Don't suppose you can recommend somewhere in Luxembourg and somewhere near the Nurburgring ? Like the look of Cochem about 30 mins from the ring. Sorry to hijack your post OP:D

Don't suppose you can recommend somewhere in Luxembourg and somewhere near the Nurburgring ? Like the look of Cochem about 30 mins from the ring. Sorry to hijack your post OP:D

Stayed in Cochem in 2017 at the Hotel Am Markt.
Great location right in on the square in the middle but the bike parking wasn’t ‘biker-friendly’.
It was up a hill in an outside car park.But I left my 1290 there unlocked for 2 days no problem.
But I think’d I’d rather just stay at the Blaue Ecke in Adenau.
It’s an easy and great ride to Cochem and back and you can access the ‘Ring 5 minutes from the hotel just under the bridge.

Great food/atmosphere with big car park and some garaged if you want to lock bike away.

Not stayed in Luxembourg for years,sorry !

Stayed in Sospel a few years ago. Lovely little town.

Germany - Cochem is great, busy and bustling, but pick a town either up or down the river where it'll be quieter and cheaper. There are loads of hotels along the river and every town is much the same as any other really. We stayed in Ernst a coupe of years ago and the local tourist board include a return bus trip to Cochem in the price of an overnight stay. We stayed in the Pension Konschake in Ernst, who provided a big locked garage just across the road to park the bike in. They also had fantastic home-made apple pie. Cochem was a gentle hour's walk along the river (we caught the bus in and walked back) though it was 30 degrees and very humid and I have rarely sweated that much.

Klotten is about the same distance downstream from Cochem, and has a few nice hotels as well. We stayed at the Hubertus Hotel. 30 mins from Nurburgring.

Luxembourg - Vianden is the place. Loads of eating places, nice roads all around, pretty little town. I have stayed in the Heintz Hotel which also provided a small garage for bikes, and Hotel Petry down by the river. Both recommended, but there are plenty of others. If you want a bigger town, try Diekirch. I got very, very drunk here once.

The lemon festival in Menton is a little bit crazy.

Back
Top Bottom