R90s pub quiz

Still not sure about ‘Y-shaped’ stuff near the bars Bill, though the headlamp brackets look chromed or polished & should be black. All the fairing brackets look ok. I’ve seen a couple of other bits up there tho, the clutch lever clamp is the modern replacement for a pre 81 bike. See the choke lever blank on it? Also I wonder if the ignition switch is 5 position. If it had button switches originally, it would have used a 5 position switch. Many did get swapped to the newer switch gear back then.

Still not sure about ‘Y-shaped’ stuff near the bars Bill, though the headlamp brackets look chromed or polished & should be black. .

That's what I mean't - add all the other bits that are wrong on the front end/bars/instruments and it is either not a R90S or has been in a smash and bits have been replaced with /6 stuff

Bike arrived from Denmark this afternoon,
In all honesty the only thing I have saying it’s a 90s is the what’s on the chassis plate.
I’ll take a look at the documents supplied tomorrow
I don’t have another early bike to compare it to,
But ,My alarm bells were ringing straight away,once I looked at the engine number,paint etc.
Ok,fair enough it’s 46 years old but unless it’s an original bike it’s maybe not financially viable For the owner to restore.
It’s always going to be close,and would make a nice bike,,,,,,,,,,,
It may well be heading back to Denmark.
We will see.
Once it’s clear what it is or isn’t

I am fortunate to own two r90s bikes, a very early November 73 bike and a 76 bike which I am in the final stages of restoring. This bike could be a good basis for an original bike, however I think there are a few issues.
The front-end should not have reflectors or gators ( USA bikes may have had reflectors )
Black paint mirrors
Enamel tank badges
There should be tape not paint for the coach lines on the front mudguard,fairing,tank and seat cowl only.
Switch gear too late
Handle bar clamps wrong- silver top flash
Handle bars do not seem quite right
Wrong volt meter
Transfers on fairing bezel missing
Dellortos should have metal tops
Black painted folk ears
Gearbox seems wrong , there should be a kick start for the early model
Non original starter relay
I cannot see inside the fairing but it should be smooth inside and show no evidence of grp matting.
My 73 bike is the bike used by BMW for their uk poster campaign and one of the first to arrive in the uk . The photos for the campaign were taken by Patrick Litchfield and was give the bike by BMW after the campaign
I am looking on my phone as away at the moment so I cannot see that clearly
Hope this helps
Byron:beerjug:
Thanks muchly,
I sold a 90s a few years ago,was it your good self that bought it?
The 76 one you mention?

Thanks muchly,
I sold a 90s a few years ago,was it your good self that bought it?
The 76 one you mention?
Sadly no Mikey , I bought it as a 3 owner bike from a guy in Blackburn 4 years ago. I was very lucky to find a quite original 76 bike when I did not know anything really about these bikes. I put my paintwork on another thread on Sunday . This bike is a nightmare to get painted and can easily cost 3k . The speedo is unique also but off the top of my head I do not know the ratios

My list,
Poor repaint,
Incorrect switch gear,
Incorrect mirrors
Fork gaitors
Broken fins on head
Steering damper mech missing
HT leads/caps
Instrument binnacle split
Gearbox oil leak
Ancient tyres
Poor paint on frame etc.
There is two biggies (one spotted)

I doubt you have missed them "but" just in case

Swingarm Gaitor
Speedo cable Gaitor
Non Vented bolt in the Earth point

and Pardon my french but !holy suffering fuck that wiring :eek: :eek: :eek:

And the VIN at the dipstick is a bit Fookin skew But that happened when replacement engines were issued in the early days

Thanks for all your replies chaps,much appreciated.
Today’s update,
Have had a few conversations,with a few very knowledgeable peeps,
It turns out that it is indeed a 90S,number 720 off the production line,manufactured October 73 so it’s a very early one.
It’s had a few errrrm updates over its almost 46 years.
Unfortunately it’s not what the owner wanted or expected to arrive,so it’s going to be heading back to Denmark.
UNLESS,some one on here may fancy taking it on,:cool:
To be fair to the old girl,it’s not all bad news,
The crunch being it’s not got the original crankcase so it’s never going to be a “matching numbers” machine which will affect its value ultimately,but it could still be a very nice bike with a bit of tlc.
Regarding the paint,I’ve had a quote from my “man” whose statement was “I think I’ve painted more 90s’s that were ever originally built”:D
And it was less than £1k(a lot less)
So if is something you may be interested in,shout up.
Seems a shame for it to go all the way back to Denmark :blast
Mike

looks like the Starter relay has been wired around the somewhat eccentric OEM design.

I would remove that Ignition black box from in side the alternator cover.....

Wrong seat/Seat cover Should be smooth not ribbed. Should have kick-start gearbox on early models.
To get original looks too expensive and then would always be restored machine and not as valuable as an original which now very hard to find.

Wrong seat/Seat cover Should be smooth not ribbed. Should have kick-start gearbox on early models.
To get original looks too expensive and then would always be restored machine and not as valuable as an original which now very hard to find.

I agree - the Bike is a "dog" and you would spend £7k, £8k ++ to bring it back to a good usable condition and then it would still not be an original Bike as far as the motor is concerned - you can buy a reasonable looked after R90S, with history, for that money ...... restored Bikes are just not the same as a good original Bike

- I think MaxBMW calculated that it cost US$40k for parts to build a new R90S ... then there's the labour cost

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmVBNSjjrRo

That's a No Sale then ! :D

Interested to see how much it is valued at "as is" ........ I'm not sure what you would do with it if you were given it - even breaking the Bike for parts, (it's not a UK Bike with a V5), wouldn't raise much

I bought a R80/7, maybe 20 years ago to completely restored - all the painted parts done, frame powered coated, new spoked wheels, etc., etc., I think I gave up after spending maybe £3k to £4k+ (excluding the cost of the original Bike), as the deeper I got the more I decided that to get what I wanted almost every part had to be replaced or reconditioned.
The Bike is still in bits

In the end the tank made a nice vase

vase.jpg

I've got a full set of those aluminium bodied indicators sitting in a box somewhere.. :D

I've also got a few uncracked early complete instrument/clock sets, somewhere.

The barrels did not have the connecting tie bar across the front cooling fins on the early models such as this one. So wrong barrels.

All i know is what i dont know...

Cant help / but really curious.
WTF is this / these / thems? :confused::D

Attachments

• r90s1.jpg
    r90s1.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 236
  • r90s2.jpg
    r90s2.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 225

Back
Top Bottom