Ball joint

tomlethaby

Reaction score
Dear All,

i've 2009 GSA with 52k on the clock. It's developed a very "vague" feeling of wondering around at motorway speeds following me riding it up a kerb (at low speed) to park it on a pavement.

The bike is totally rideable but i've lost a bit of confidence it in - it was until recently 100% rock solid. I would like someone who knows what they are doing to take a look. I think it might be the ball joint or the rollers but i've no idea what i'm looking at or how to test them.

I'm based near Wallingford, South Oxfordshire. Bar main dealer at Oxford, who's recommended in the area?

Kind regards.

Tom.

Have you tried for any free play at the front when the bike is in the centre stand? Though I'm not convinced that would reveal a duff ball joint - even if it was buggered - it seems it might. Have you taken a really close look at the gaiter under the telelever for tears/splits? These are some obvious things.

But then there's tyres, swingarm, final drive. All things that can upset the front end feel...

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Thanks - I'll take a look at the gaiter. There is a tiny smidge of play in the final drive, would this affect handling?

Thanks - I'll take a look at the gaiter. There is a tiny smidge of play in the final drive, would this affect handling?
My guess is there would be significant play in the FD for you to notice handling. So if you say 'a little' it's probably not an issue. Though a little hard over a forum to know what 'a little' is.

Did this handling issue start with the new tyres by any chance?

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

No, the new tyre was my first attempt at fixing the issue. The problem had started beforehand. Thanks.

TBH, I've heard riders say that, only to find the new tyre beads haven't been seated correctly. Failing that, my money would be on the BJ - boot splits, weather gets in, joint wears.

Anyway, if you don't have faith in NOG?, then I suggest you try either Motoscot, just south of Luton ......... https://www.motoscot.co.uk/ or Steptoe, as others have mentioned.

It's developed a very "vague" feeling of wondering around at motorway speeds following me riding it up a kerb (at low speed) to park it on a pavement

I doubt a single kern bump could damage it that much.
But, I've experienced the same on my GSA, bike extremely light over 100mph, the bike felt like falling in in the middle of every corner. Total loss of confidence with the front.
Ball joint replaced (while I was traveling) and feels like a brand new bike.

If you don't want to travel all the way to Steptoe, Motoscot is near Luton.

Thanks. Who is Steptoe?
A distinguished gentleman, with a poor taste in ties, that one wears for breakfast.

Or

A highly experienced and knowledgeable individual who just happens to own a garage that fixes GS's amongst others.

Oh, and he is of this 'ere Parrish.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Also make sure the rear of the bike is correct. For example tyre pressure. 38 psi front 42 back. If it's light on the front, adjust the preload (make softer, unscrew) until the front feels planted at around 50 mph. If you have ESA I can't help.
If it's unstable at high speeds then try cornering at about 90mph and see if it feels more solid in the corner than upright. When leaning pull the bars and (like counter steering) to see how stable it is. Come back with your findings without an extra 3 points hopefully.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Lots of suggestions already - this could be many things. I have experienced a similar front end problem following a ball joint replacement, funnily enough. Having checked suspension setting, tyre pressures etc, I loosed the front suspension fixings (fork clamps, lower shock mounting, front axles) and then re-torqued them starting with the axle (I think - whatever the correct order is for GS front end). Problem solved. I inferred from this that something in the suspension had moved while the ball joint was replaced. There is a chance that riding up the kerb may have had a similar effect. Just another guess though

Back
Top Bottom