Buying Advice

del1150

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm looking for a little advice on a decision re purchase of a F800GSA.

I've narrowed it down to two. Both are 2016 - one a 66 plate (so the refreshed look with the silver plate on the tank sides) with 12K miles and 7 months BMW used warranty; the other a 16 plate from a dealer (so full 24 months warranty) which has only done around 250 miles (owner unfortunately died). Normally I'd shy away from such a low mileage bike but the reason is genuine and the BMW warranty gives peace of mind. Both will be serviced before purchase.

The bike won't do high miles so in one sense the higher mileage bike isn't any big deal however I kind of like the idea of getting a pseudo new bike for decent money. At the same time the higher mileage bike is cheaper, newer plate and the fresher model.

I'm struggling to decide which is the better buy! Which one would you go for is it was you?

It's price dependent really. My choice would be the one with full 2 year warranty and low miles.
That longer warranty and breakdown cover is worth a lot.
If the price isn't to high the low mileage bike wins hands down.
Great bikes.

Thanks for the quick reply :thumb2. Price difference is about £900 (newer, higher mileage bike cheaper of course)

If you did go for the cheaper bike and extended the warranty for 17 months at approximately £50 a month it doesn't make that £900 quid difference seem so much.
Low miler wins in my opinion :D

Extended warranty is £340 for the year but I agree the difference still disappears quickly. What I wasn’t sure about is how much this is needed on the 800 especially as the bike won’t do too many miles. I keep the extended warranty running on my 1200 TC but wondered if it was an expensive and unnecessary cost on the 800.

Granted not as likely to need warranty on the 800 as much as others but nice to have the breakdown with tubed tyres.
250 miles would swing it for me but it's your cash,try to chip the price.

Really appreciate the feedback. Price chipping has reached it’s limit with both so it’s just decision making left!

Been distracted with work issues but plan is to test ride it tomorrow and then make a final decision. I haven't actually ridden a F800 before so want to check for sure that the bike "feels" right. Update to follow.....:)

Loved the bike when I rode it yesterday. Much more comfortable than I expected and nicely balanced. So, deposit paid and will own a F800GSA very soon :bounce1

Yep, low mile one. 2016 GSA in Alpine White with just over 300 miles. Need to try to find some used panniers now ...

Back
Top Bottom