SARGENT heated seat controller

Silver Rat

Reaction score
Apologies if this has been covered before but I can't actually find the information I need.

I recently bought a 1200GSA after owning a 1200RT for many years. I had Sargent heated seats on the RT and just connected it to the BMW plugs as my RT already had heated seats as a factory option, so no problems. I sold the seats to a friend who has an RT but his bike never had heated seats and therefore does not have the switch etc on the handlebar [but I believe that the plugs are actually there, tied to the loom]. He doesn't want to go to the expense of replacing switch gear to get the seats working, so I said I would wire up a separate switch.

There are only two wires to the seat, so the 'factory fitted' switch obviously only supplied half power on first setting and full power on next setting, so my intention is to simply fit a two way switch, which are readily available but then I came across the heated seat controller that Sargent supply, which would obviously be the way to go, but my friend doesn't really want to spend £100+ for the pleasure. It does look the dog's danglies but the led lights are maybe a bit OTT and too much in your face!

That controller however, varies the heat setting from 0 to 100%, which got me thinking that I could fit a simple rotary potentiometer type switch that 'may' do the same thing. Can anyone confirm that this is a feasable solution that would actually work?? I can source a switch for varying the speed of a motor and it is more than suitable for the Sargent seat amperage.

Whatever kind of switch I fit to his bike, my intention is to wire it through a fused relay switch, connected to an ignition feed, so that the seat couldn't be left on and flatten the battery etc. So my options are,

1. An on/off switch which gives him full heat, which he can simply switch off when it gets too hot,
2. A two way switch, giving him two heat settings, as per factory, and
3. A variable potentiometer type rotary switch. [if that works]

My final question simply relates to the Canbus wiring, which obviously does not use fuses in the wiring loom. If I wired the seat via a switch, directly to a switched power source, is there actually a need for a relay switch or would the Canbus 'deal' with any power surge etc???

My gut feeling is to fit the relay switch to protect the Canbus anyway, but is it actually required?

My thinking behind it is that If i had a heated vest, I could simply plug it into the auxilliary socket and there would be no fuse or relay in that set up.

I look forward to your views, but be gentle!!

K

Back
Top Bottom