Clutch

Dennis the Menace

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
In a Honda dealership today, in the corner was a PD taken in part ex, sales man who did the deal was not in, sat on the bike, tried to pull the clutch leaver in absolutely solid when the slack in the cable was taken up, cable adjustment was at full adjustment, it’s 18 years since I have had a gear box out. Will ring the salesman up Monday have a chat, see if I can start the engine, the bike is in v.g.c cosmetically but has not been used for 3 years 44k on the clock
Maybe buy as seen if the price is right

Yes, I’m aware of that but thanks, I’ve thought the push rod could be sized or damaged amongst other things, ( cheep repair) but gear box and clutch would have to come off for inspection, clutch ,fly wheel, gearbox are fix able, splines are replaceable but can be expensive

There is more than one setup on the push rods.
One has a black plastic "bobbin" which has reputedly been known to swell and stick.
Never had it happen, but I think you can check for movement without removing the box.

Dealers usually don't give a lot for non running everyday bikes, mostly not much more than the salvage value of the cycle parts, so I would take care here.
They should have people on their staff who are able to make a reasonable assessment of the cost of getting the bike roadworthy and saleable, and if they consider that it is not viable for them there is the possibility it may not be viable for you either, particularly as prices for good second hand parts like gearboxes and final drives seem to have gone through the roof lately!
If you could speak to the PO and find out why it was laid up it might help your assessment

I’ve seen a few plastic actuation pistons go bad, I always put the old metal one in with a proper bearing in my light flywheel bikes. There’s plenty out there secondhand because they were fitted to the old K100s etc. too.

My clutch piston, tbe plastic part had swollen, clutch was getting increasingly stiff. I took it out, lightly sanded the sides, greased up and put it back in, problem solved, can't see anything wrong with it since either.

My clutch piston, tbe plastic part had swollen, clutch was getting increasingly stiff. I took it out, lightly sanded the sides, greased up and put it back in, problem solved, can't see anything wrong with it since either.

Yup. Done the same thing myself.

Phoned the Honda dealer today, the GS is being sold on be half of his brother, 10k if I am interested, or make an offer, no thanks I’ll pass.

Yeah, might be worth 10k if completely resto'd but not in that condition.

Quite right to walk away.

If you are looking to by a Gs ,I have this,that I’d part with:thumb2
£5k would buy it.
Hpn tank,kahedo seat,wp shock,overland luggage.
Needs uk registration but I’ve mot’t it the other week

Attachments

• A29D6F31-D3AD-42F3-AF27-E038E11625BE.jpg
    A29D6F31-D3AD-42F3-AF27-E038E11625BE.jpg
    254.6 KB · Views: 159
Well worth it Mikeyboy. If I had the space I would have that off you in a flash- pretty much exactly how I would want one (maybe apart from the colour but I could live with that)

Back
Top Bottom