Mayo

gspod

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi
We’ve got some friends coming over from Oz in August (wedding) and they’d like to take a trip over to Ireland with us for about a week. Since my parents were from the south (Co Limerick and Co Waterford) I’ve done the usual sights down there many times but I’ve never been to Mayo.

They’re not touristy types so what we’re looking for is a nice campsite to base ourselves, walking distance to a pub (preferably a music venue) and recommendations for nice day trips that won’t be packed with coach loads of Americans :D

Oh and they may want to hire a moto themselves for a couple of days (they might get fed up of riding pillion :blast)

Any info great fully received - many thanks. :aidan
D

Get a decent bnb in Westport. Plenty of pubs and plenty of relatively empty roads to explore in the vicinity. Wild Atlantic way on the coast. Don't recommend camping as the West coast can be wet and squally at times in August. Oh and for bnb,s near pubs book early for August!

Get a decent bnb in Westport. Plenty of pubs and plenty of relatively empty roads to explore in the vicinity. Wild Atlantic way on the coast. Don't recommend camping as the West coast can be wet and squally at times in August. Oh and for bnb,s near pubs book early for August!

Thanks, I was thinking about Westport - nice and central. Camping it is, I’m very familiar with Irish weather :blast so a sheltered campsite would be preferable.

Achill Island looks a must see and we’ve not looked around northern Galway - is there enough to see in the area for 5 or so days?
Thanks

I'd start in Achill and head north along the Wild Atlantic Way.

I get bored if I stay in one place for too long but you could spend two or three days in Achill during nice weather. I'd take the coast road from there to Glencolmcille in Donegal. There's plenty to see in Donegal. Slieve League cliffs and Glenveagh National Park would be on my iteniary.

I know you said camping is a must, but check out the Foxford Lodge B&B in Foxford village - http://www.thefoxfordlodge.ie/ Harry and his wife are fantastic hosts and the place is really nice to stay in. Secure parking for the bikes too.

For things to go and see, Achill Island is a must - get an ice cream on Keem Bay, then head up onto the top of Minaun mountain to take in the views. A quick pint of Guinness in Lynott's pub would be a shame to miss. Ride the Atlantic road around the edge of the island - some fantastic views out over the Atlantic ocean.

Check out Glencar waterfall near Sligo - lovely spot to pull over and enjoy the wee walk to the fall.

Not far from the waterfall is the Gleniff Horseshoe Drive - google it for directions. Check out the Barytes Mill Site as you ride the horseshoe.

Ride down through Leenane and Maam Cross - nice roads with great scenery makes this area well worth the visit.

For a decent night out, as well as Westport, there's also Ballina and Castlebar to consider. During our last tour of the west, got caught up in a great trad session in the Broken Jug pub in Ballina. Great craic!

I know you said camping is a must, but check out the Foxford Lodge B&B in Foxford village - http://www.thefoxfordlodge.ie/ Harry and his wife are fantastic hosts and the place is really nice to stay in. Secure parking for the bikes too.

For things to go and see, Achill Island is a must - get an ice cream on Keem Bay, then head up onto the top of Minaun mountain to take in the views. A quick pint of Guinness in Lynott's pub would be a shame to miss. Ride the Atlantic road around the edge of the island - some fantastic views out over the Atlantic ocean.

Check out Glencar waterfall near Sligo - lovely spot to pull over and enjoy the wee walk to the fall.

Not far from the waterfall is the Gleniff Horseshoe Drive - google it for directions. Check out the Barytes Mill Site as you ride the horseshoe.

Ride down through Leenane and Maam Cross - nice roads with great scenery makes this area well worth the visit.

For a decent night out, as well as Westport, there's also Ballina and Castlebar to consider. During our last tour of the west, got caught up in a great trad session in the Broken Jug pub in Ballina. Great craic!

Hard to fault any of that :thumb
And Foxford Lodge is definitely a nice spot to stay

Or a perennial favourite just outside Mayo (there's a UKGSer event there every September & it's great value) try Leenane Hotel
I can give you enough routes around here to keep you occupied for days ;)

On Achill the deserted village is an interesting stop

If you're going to the Horseshoe, which I highly recommend, or Glencar you won't be far from Drumcliff where WB Yeats is buried. And there's a nice cafe / shop at the entrance.

For bike rental give Paul in Lemonrock a shout :aidan

I)
Hard to fault any of that :thumb
And Foxford Lodge is definitely a nice spot to stay

Or a perennial favourite just outside Mayo (there's a UKGSer event there every September & it's great value) try Leenane Hotel
I can give you enough routes around here to keep you occupied for days ;)

On Achill the deserted village is an interesting stop

If you're going to the Horseshoe, which I highly recommend, or Glencar you won't be far from Drumcliff where WB Yeats is buried. And there's a nice cafe / shop at the entrance.

For bike rental give Paul in Lemonrock a shout :aidan

Thanks Jochen.

Leenane is full!!

Maybe thinking now a 3 centred stay and leaving the tents at home:
2 nights in Mayo
2 nights with family in Galway (Connemara)
Then maybe head down to the south east for a couple of nights - Killarney :eek:

4 years ago we did the south section of the WAW up to Cliften just finding places as we went but there was only 2 of us, with 4 I think we’ll have to book - and book early by the looks of things.

I).......Then maybe head down to the south east for a couple of nights - Killarney :eek:

Nothing much wrong with Killarney - beyond it being a victim of its own success. Consider Kenmare, smaller but still offering good pubs etc & more importantly better situated for Beara & W Cork as well as the Rink of Kerry (also straining under its popularity) Lough Brin, Ballaghabeama & Balachoishin I do recommend - true GS country. If doing the gap of Dunloe early or late sidesteps ponies, cyclists & walkers to a large extent.

Nothing much wrong with Killarney - beyond it being a victim of its own success. Consider Kenmare, smaller but still offering good pubs etc & more importantly better situated for Beara & W Cork as well as the Rink of Kerry (also straining under its popularity) Lough Brin, Ballaghabeama & Balachoishin I do recommend - true GS country. If doing the gap of Dunloe early or late sidesteps ponies, cyclists & walkers to a large extent.

Haha, thanks Gerry.
The problem with Killarney is that I have an old friend who lives there and anytime I’ve been, to peruse the beautiful surrounding countryside, I’ve never got out of the pub :blast
We stayed on Beara last visit but it’s lovely so may go again with the Aussies, in fact we had lunch in Kenmare and thought it was lovely so thanks for reminding me. We will definitely check out those other places too.

Looks like a plan is forming :aidan :beerjug:

Wow the ferries are expensive :eek: that’s the price of going in August I guess - if it wasn’t for the wedding they’d have come over in June or September.
For the ferries we want we’ll be using Stena, has anyone got a discount code I can use please?
Thanks again
D

Give Nutt Travel a ring they are usually cheaper than the Ferry Companies.

028 7035 1199 :)

Irish sea is a disgrace, the most expensive ferries in the World.

Err, have you seen the cost of getting here??
I popped over to your island last year for a quick blip and the Irish Sea cost just about half of the Channel cost.

Howdy
I live in Westport and yes camping at the campsite is very expensive for a campsite and a fair distance from the town centre,youd be looking at taxis if you were having a few scoops,check this b+b out,its pretty reasonable price for Westport,its a few minutes walk to the town centre,has off street bike parking(its beside the Castlecourt Hotel)
http://www.clooneenhousewestport.com/

as for camping I'd recomend Keel campsite on Achill Island,its lovely IF the weather is good,everything you'd need is beside you,pubs,food etc
http://www.achillcamping.com/index.php

If you're looking for a campsite near music pubs Nagles in Doolin excellent facilities freshly baked bread in the morning from the shop couldn't recommend it highly enough, a walkable distance from O Connors a little further you ha e a choice of Mc Ganns and Mc Dermotts spoilt for choice.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom