Low Storage on Disc Drive F:

Kenny

Trustworthy Scouser AND
Mod Squad
Reaction score
Toxteth scouser, made good ..now hiding on the W
Since my very recent Windows 10 update I keep getting a notification of low disc space on Drive F:

I'm somewhat a numpty as the Drive F: is now invisible ( hidden files won't show it either )

Hopefully I can delete some files from this windows drive F: failing that add some more storage ?

What is Drive F: for anyway...when the notification box ask's me to clear some files from F: then

the box that open's show's no extra space can be obtained ( i.e. 0 bytes are showing ).

Hope this makes some sense !

Since my very recent Windows 10 update I keep getting a notification of low disc space on Drive F:

I'm somewhat a numpty as the Drive F: is now invisible ( hidden files won't show it either )

Hopefully I can delete some files from this windows drive F: failing that add some more storage ?

What is Drive F: for anyway...when the notification box ask's me to clear some files from F: then

the box that open's show's no extra space can be obtained ( i.e. 0 bytes are showing ).

Hope this makes some sense !

Sounds like you have a hidden partition (usually used for a recovery drive) and windows is saving everyting to there

See what drives are listed by following this - https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000854.htm use the win 10 options

Report back what drives are listed

Find the program "computer management", open it, go to disk management (might need to wait a minute for this to show what drives you have). Put a screenshot of that on here, using the "snipping tool" program to get the screenshot.

I have had the same message in the past
I will be interested in the solution.
Can you increase the size of the partition without having to reload windows 10?

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 251
  • Untitled1.jpg
    Untitled1.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 213
Find the program "computer management", open it, go to disk management (might need to wait a minute for this to show what drives you have). Put a screenshot of that on here, using the "snipping tool" program to get the screenshot.

Shugie, as requested ( ignore G: as it is just my plug in hard drive storage for photos etc. that I just plugged in )
I can now see just 9% space is left on disc F: ??

Attachments

• Untitled2.jpg
    Untitled2.jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 199
Rather a messy drive setup with odd partitions, if you go into file explorer options, view, set hidden folders and files to show, can you see what files are in F:

Some application is writing files in there, and you need to change that.

That might stop the warning but f will still be full. it looks like it has the oem software that cam with the pc as new generally a load of bloatware and or trial versions.
If you are convinced that you will no longer need any of it you could use something like EaseUS partition manager, format f then expand c into the now empty f space.

Read the instructions as I can't remeber if you delete the partition and expand c or if you can just merge

Merge rather than delete ;)

I'd hang fire TBH

Looking at the drive list,

Disk 0 consists of:-

E: 7mb
F: 451MB
PBR_DRV - Windows restore image 24Gb
WINRE_DRV - Windows recovery drive 1000mb
Windows8 _OS C: Boot / page / crash dump / Primary partition
My Passport G: Plug in NAS / Additional storage ( Not part of windows)
Disk 0 Partition 3 500 mb empty
Disk 0 Partition 2 260 mb empty

Take the G: drive out of the equation and your left with

E: F: C: 2 spare partitions & And 2 recovery partitions

Looks like the drive has been reimaged from a smaler backup at some time hence the spare partions

However there tiny so i wouldnt worry about them

Ignore E: & F: there too small to do anything with

Your C drive has 679GB free

you need to find out what is writing to the F: drive thats what the issue is ...

If you look for a program called space sniffer (try majorgeeks.com)

you can look at drives and see what programs are writing data and to where & how much

once you find out what is on F: you can find the offend proggy and sort it

Thanks guys, enjoying this :D
Smogbobs UTube approach didn't work, sadly.
What I have done is increase the System restore from 290 to 500 mb storage and that seem's to have solved the problem for now.
Probably try Majorgeeks and see what is writing to F:

What I have done is increase the System restore from 290 to 500 mb storage and that seem's to have solved the problem for now.

damn worked before on a older laptop, typical Windoze, thats why I use Linux, and just have a dual boot for updating gadgets that do not work with Linux, going to dig deeper also...........:beerjug:

They now have a stand alone site

http://www.uderzo.it/main_products/space_sniffer/

it's amazing what you find that you forgot about lol

Well that hasn't worked either :blast

Santa...downloaded space sniffer ( cool name )....but cannot get it to show up what is on F ( everything but that but it suggests I try F in Administrator mode ? :nenau )

Well that hasn't worked either :blast

Santa...downloaded space sniffer ( cool name )....but cannot get it to show up what is on F ( everything but that but it suggests I try F in Administrator mode ? :nenau )

Seems it is simply a bug and nothing really in there, read below Kenny, you can delete the letter and the partition stays, however error is gone.

https://community.spiceworks.com/how_to/153261-fix-windows-10-1803-update-new-full-drive-creation

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-3710612/drive-low-disk-space-notifications.html

Back
Top Bottom