Insuring an unregistered bike?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nutty

Reaction score
My dealer called, and my bike will be ready by the end of next week and the dealer wants to deliver it as soon as they can. As I’m away every weekend in February, they’re registering it 1st March, so I’ve called my insurance company, MCE, and may have issues insuring it until it’s registered. Has anyone else been in the same situation if so who did you insure it through?

My dealer called, and my bike will be ready by the end of next week and the dealer wants to deliver it as soon as they can. As I’m away every weekend in February, they’re registering it 1st March, so I’ve called my insurance company, MCE, and may have issues insuring it until it’s registered. Has anyone else been in the same situation if so who did you insure it through?

You need to find someone who will insure it on the Chassis No, but bike insurers are notorious for making things difficult,need to shop around

I’m don’t know about Paradise but here in Ireland you are not allowed to have a unregistered car/bike. The dealers must register it before it leaves the premises unless to another dealer who is registered with revenue to stock unregistered vechicles. JJH

why not just leave it at the dealers till your free? the dealer obviously wants it off loaded but that will be for finance reasons not space. Tell em to store it till March 1st.

A few years ago MCE insured an imported bike on the frame number for me :nenau

A few years ago MCE insured an imported bike on the frame number for me :nenau

Ok, that’s given me a glimmer of hope then! They said they need the reg number at least, so will delay for another week until I get that, but the chimp didn’t sound that sure.

Have insured a couple of bikes on the VIN. Never had an issue. Think they initially gave me a fortnight to tell them the reg.

It is quite usual to insure bikes on vin, if they've been imported. You can only be covered for 14 days, iirc. It is to give you time to get mot and then apply for registration and tax.

Seems more a dealer storage issue to me

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

It is quite usual to insure bikes on vin, if they've been imported. You can only be covered for 14 days, iirc. It is to give you time to get mot and then apply for registration and tax.

Seems more a dealer storage issue to me

Just recalled, when my brother ordered his new mini before Christmas for 1st January, the dealer gave him choice of several registrations to choose from dvla list. That way he could advise insurers in advance.

Tell yer stealer (I shit them) to keep yous until you is well reday to pick it. cnits need telling whose is in charge like who pays them and stuff.

Customer is king, old boy. I read it here, more than once.

Just recalled, when my brother ordered his new mini before Christmas for 1st January, the dealer gave him choice of several registrations to choose from dvla list. That way he could advise insurers in advance.

19 plates are not out yet

Tell yer stealer (I shit them) to keep yous until you is well reday to pick it. .

I walked into leisure trail to collect my bike and a customer was trying it out for size

I'm sure Nutty would like every Tom dick and Harry sitting on his new BMW Rallye, actually you will be ok, BMW put name tags and keep off ktm let every fooker try it out for size.

Tell yer stealer (I shit them) to keep yous until you is well reday to pick it. cnits need telling whose is in charge like who pays them and stuff.

...Wots yer mate's mam say ??.......:nenau

I walked into leisure trail to collect my bike and a customer was trying it out for size

I'm sure Nutty would like every Tom dick and Harry sitting on his new BMW Rallye, actually you will be ok, BMW put name tags and keep off ktm let every fooker try it out for size.

Exactly. Once it’s built and ready, I want it here, rather than sat in the showroom. I’ll try speaking to someone else at MCE tomorrow. :thumb

Why not get it delivered when you are in, Monday thro’ Friday and keep it off the road in your garage for a month? No need to insure it but and if you think someone will nick it, call Warboy for tech assist.

PS RH insures my HP4 and HP2 Sport for ‘All Risks’ whilst they are off the road (the policy excludes any road risk cover) and effectively unregistered.

Why not get it delivered when you are in, Monday thro’ Friday and keep it off the road in your garage for a month? No need to insure it but and if you think someone will nick it, call Warboy for tech assist.

PS RH insures my HP4 and HP2 Sport for ‘All Risks’ whilst they are off the road (the policy excludes any road risk cover) and effectively unregistered.

Yep, that’s an option, but I’d be concerned about it being left if there’s nobody at home, even though we don’t live in Walsall, the crime capital of the universe!:D

I’ve just done a webchat with MCE, and they’re adamant they don’t do it. Looking online, Bikesure seem to do it, and you can get insurance by the day, week or month, so I’ll see what they say tomorrow. Another option could be to add it to the home insurance policy as a high value item, but that could be pricey.

Bikesure will insure the unregistered bike for a month for £165.42, but they'll insure it for a year for £246.69. :nenau

My issue is that my current policy has 6 months left to run, and after paying around £280 for the year, I'd only get about £25 back, which is a bit rubbish.

I'll have the reg number on Monday, so will try my insurance company again to see if they can insure it with that.

Maybe I'm just being stupid here...

Isn't the bike the dealer's responsibility (and property) until it's registered and you take delivery?

I've never insure a bike or car until the day I pick it up before...

:nenau

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom