Multibike or two singles

Yogibear69

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
well my multi bike insurance is due at the end of feb for my GSA and my Harley. Have seen a few people that have two separate policys rather than a multi bike one. I have done some quotes and if I load my gs with all my no claims and do my Harley with none it works out about £120 less. Are there any pitfalls to doing it this way or is it rally as good as it sounds?
thanks
fraser

I saved £135 by putting my GS and Indian on 2 different policy's. Some of the prices I was quoted was absolutely ridiculous and I even had some companies that would not let me get a quote online as they wanted me to call them instead.

Two single policies is a no-brainier.

Might even allow a bit more flexibility when changing one of them in the future (to avoid an alteration charge on the policy).

A friend of mine coming from a multi bike policy found out something which the OP alluded to when going to 2 seperate policies, is that he was only allowed to claim "no claims" history for 1 bike and lost all the no claims he had on the other...

A friend of mine coming from a multi bike policy found out something which the OP alluded to when going to 2 seperate policies, is that he was only allowed to claim "no claims" history for 1 bike and lost all the no claims he had on the other...

Was that only when he started or every year afterwards as well?

it worked the other way round for me ,it was a hell of a lot cheaper putting my r1200gs and my old r1100rt on the same policy with mce,i just had a renewal of 150 quid for the pair,i am happy with that

I use cornmarket insurance via the IAM and have both my bike and scoot on the same policy. Every year they send me a daft renewal quote and I do a quote on confused.com for the main bike, ring them up, agree that price and then a small additional charge (£45 iirc) is added for the second bike. Also this gives some level of business insurance on the vehicles. (class 1 ?)

RBW.

I've got my two with LV and they're on a multi bike policy but cost for each bike is itemised separately. I've been with them for about 3 years now and they've always quoted a better price than elsewhere. The cover they provide is also better than others offer - no cost cap on clothing cover, for example, and no issues for me with security requirements. It's important to look at details of cover as well as cost when you're comparing quotes (but you already know this!). The customer service at LV is excellent and when I had to claim a few years back on my car policy they were easy to deal with and very efficient. I also have my home and car policy with them which brings additional discounts.

That. And if you’re a CSMA “Boundless” member you get it even cheaper.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I've got my two with LV and they're on a multi bike policy but cost for each bike is itemised separately. I've been with them for about 3 years now and they've always quoted a better price than elsewhere. The cover they provide is also better than others offer - no cost cap on clothing cover, for example, and no issues for me with security requirements. It's important to look at details of cover as well as cost when you're comparing quotes (but you already know this!). The customer service at LV is excellent and when I had to claim a few years back on my car policy they were easy to deal with and very efficient. I also have my home and car policy with them which brings additional discounts.

I have just called LV for a quote for 2 bikes as I am getting a 1982 R80 G/S.

Cover for my 1200 is £60 cheaper than Devitt.

However, they will only offer 3rd party cover for the G/S because of age.

Did you guys with two separate policies manage to get NCB on both policies?

I've currently got a multibike policy for a Harley and a GPZ900. I've a new GSA 1250 on order, so got a quote for adding it to that policy. (£460 for 6 months).

Did a bit of phoning around and got a quote from BMW insurance for a single policy for the GSA. Explained from day 1 that I already had a policy running with NCB. Anyway they came back with a quote for 12 months that was less the previously quoted 6 month amount. I decided to go ahead, paid for the policy and got the documentation through. They asked for confirmation of my NCB. When I advised them that my NCB was still with my multibike policy, they backtracked saying that I could not have NCB on two policies (despite being fully aware of my requirements, which they confirmed by listening to their telephone recordings, however their agent had misunderstood the situation), and as such they were unable to honour the policy.

When I queried this further, I was advised that because the policy would effectively have no NCB and that the bike was valued at over £15k, they were unable to insure me. (I'm 60, ridding since 17, with one theft claim 35 years ago). This is only two day before I pick up the GSA.

Luckily I've managed to get insurance through BEMOTO, who have "mirrored" my existing NCB.

I'm not quite clear what the "mirrored" NCB means but at least I have insurance.

Back
Top Bottom