Luggage and a rack for a R nine T ?

harley-metisse

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all, back into BMW ownership with a 68 plate R nine T - anyone got any ideas/suggestions on suitable luggage for short touring trips ?
It is the original version of the model, not the Pure, Scrambler, Racer etc if that narrows down the replies.
Tank bags are available, but what about rear luggage ?
Anything out there for sale ?
Cheers
Graham

I have SW Motech, blaze panniers, on my classic 9 t,
They are throwovers with removeable support bars,
Semi rigid codura construction,
Also went for the hepco becker rack for longer trips to use a givi top box,
None of it is permanent , the rack is 4 bolts,
I love it with the seat hump, and that it can be more than one style of bike,
As its my only bike ,
i wanted to have a touring mode / option that isnt a pile of bags on a long euro or camping trip,
Sorry sruggle to put photos on here, i could e mail you some photos if interested,
I will pre warn you it is a fuctional look with givi top box, bags and givi screen,

Do you intend to carry a passenger? There are lots of options for luggage but a passenger will restrict your carrying capacity. For long weekends the OE rear seat bag is plenty big enough and doesn’t need an extra rack. It sits on the rear seat pad. For longer spells away I use SW Motech Legend bags. Across those, on a Unit Garage rear rack I have an Ortleib 50ltr roll bag. I use the OE tank bag for all my travelling essentials, maps oil, first aid kit etc, etc.

Attachments

• 54202F7A-B1A7-45E0-92BE-0391F41BD760.jpg
    54202F7A-B1A7-45E0-92BE-0391F41BD760.jpg
    254.2 KB · Views: 1,720
What’s the best rear rack option for an Urban? I get the bike may not have been designed with touring in mind but it’d be nice to strap a bag on for a few days away. I thought Hepco & Becker titube rack but the max load is 3kgs, not even enough for my sandwiches.

What’s the best rear rack option for an Urban? I get the bike may not have been designed with touring in mind but it’d be nice to strap a bag on for a few days away. I thought Hepco & Becker titube rack but the max load is 3kgs, not even enough for my sandwiches.
I've put the Unit Garage one on mine. It fits and looks great, but it's a bit flimsy. Disappointing for what they cost. It's got a low weight capacity (5kg iirc) but I'll have most of the weight on the seat and the rack gives lots of strapping placement options. I use Ortlieb roll bags.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Holan Panniers

I changed to a Wunderlich single seat and fitted Holan Racer panniers both great quality and neat either with panniers on or off.

Attachments

• IMG_0061.jpg
    IMG_0061.jpg
    206.3 KB · Views: 1,208
I have the Akrapovic high level pipe. Has anyone found luggage that works with this pipe?

I have SW Motech, blaze panniers, on my classic 9 t,
They are throwovers with removeable support bars,
Semi rigid codura construction,
Also went for the hepco becker rack for longer trips to use a givi top box,
None of it is permanent , the rack is 4 bolts,
I love it with the seat hump, and that it can be more than one style of bike,
As its my only bike ,
i wanted to have a touring mode / option that isnt a pile of bags on a long euro or camping trip,
I will pre warn you it is a functional look with givi top box, bags and givi screen,
I recently did approx 2000 miles solo through the french alps to the south, had plenty of room, the panniers or top box would be plenty for a weekend, and app the same capacity ,
didn't see the point of selling the trekker box for what it would fetch, the screen works pretty well too ,

Attachments

• IMG_0744.jpg
    IMG_0744.jpg
    258.8 KB · Views: 1,207
  • IMG_0869.jpg
    IMG_0869.jpg
    256.8 KB · Views: 1,499
I have the Akrapovic high level pipe. Has anyone found luggage that works with this pipe?

I am in a similar situation (high pipe) and looking for a bag to fit over the hump on the rear seat. I have a Sargent seat fitted and hoping the underside profile of any potential bag is similar enough to the upper profile of the hump to fit whatever may have to go onto it.

The BMW Motorrad bag looks good but it appears quite wide and pretty expensive - even when not new:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Best option for hard luggage (plastic & aluminum) as also luggage racks for the R9T comes from Hepco-Becker !
From the factory would have been even better because you would need no extra key that can scrape the tank...

Best option for hard luggage (plastic & aluminum) as also luggage racks for the R9T comes from Hepco-Becker !
From the factory would have been even better because you would need no extra key that can scrape the tank...

Yeah, I’ve got the HB panniers and I’m very pleased with them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom