BMW HP2 engine map part number

botus

Reaction score
Hi,

keen to understand the BMW engine map part number as fitted to the HP2 enduro (or other HP hex heads) can anyone help please?

my K25 R1200GS 0307, Jul 2007 build, got an engine flash when sold new in Jan 2008 and for 10 years my K25 had engine map 07717143, this was very quick everywhere, but gets knock under abuse at high temperatures around 6300 rpm and has awful fueling below 3250 rpm (without a power commander)

I subsequently found out 6 months later they "developed" engine map 07719873 to "reduce knock, enhance idle stability and improve cold temp running" - this went on the bike recently (by BM main dealer) and it has ruined the bike completely. Its now gutless everywhere, with a flat spot from hell around 4500 rpm, and cold temp fueling is over rich by miles

Looking about I can find little information but I can see the ecu, knock sensors and throttle bodies are the same parts on both the stock GS and the HP2 bikes, I can imagine the mapping is different along with compression and cam timing / lift, however knowing the engine map would be interesting information as I now wonder if mine always had the HP2 map

The only time I have seen detonation on these engines is when a knock sensor has gone down.
I am surprised that there is much difference in the base map as when you observe the amount of time that it is in closed loop and hence controlled by the lambda sensors.
With long term fuel trims learning from the short term trims the map corrects itself.
If you are using a power commander 5, you will have disconnected the lambda sensors, A PC 3 used with lambda sensors connected will only make a difference for a while in open loop as this be corrected from the trims learnt in closed loop..
A few years ago I tried a PC5 and autotune but could not get it to be stable.
I have for the last 70K miles used a pair of AF-XIED`s to control the fueling to 13.8 to 1 which I have been very happy with.
I have always monitored the fueling changes with a dual channel innovate LM2 which at the same time as logging the AFR`s in both cylinders whilst riding allows me to log up to 16 channels of data from the ecu which is very usefull.

Hi, thanks for the response

bike was stock and was always quick, I took out a number of 2010 bikes with the noisy flap valve in the exhaust and they was always very slow. Mine over the same stretch of uphill country lane would pull 110 mph quite easily where the later engines couldn't make 100mph. Through the gears mine was always much faster and more lively.

However when I went to road tyres I wanted more acceleration and thus went lower profile. This reduced the impact of intermittent lag at 6300 rpm, but it had coincided with fitting PC3 where I did as per instructions and disconnected the lambda sensors. Then set about creating a map to cure three issues.

1) instrument cluster trying to fall off the dash and the rear bevel chattering like it had spent the winter in Antarctica below 3250 rpm
2) nasty rough spot between 4600 and 4900 rpm
3) 6200 to 6600 rpm ignition off and sleep for 2 seconds lag in hot weather 70% + throttle application

this was very successful, making great power and flexibility from 1800 to 7800 rpm most of the time. It would lift the front from 3000 rpm and get on with things nicely, the 6300 rpm issue was seldom an issue and the stretchy throttle cable sensation mostly went away.

after 15k miles I realised the shorter gearing had clocked 1k miles extra and by then the bigger sizes to suit the LC GS where about in road fitment, so I went back to almost stock gearing. This brought back the 6300 rpm issue big time. So it turns out it was more the gearing reduction rather than the PC3 that had cured the poor throttle response. I was considering water meth injection triggered by the PC3 (switching of such a device being supported). But got enticed by a late 2017 LC adventure. Not planning on letting go of the 2007 one I realised the below 2k rpm mapping I had on the air cooled bike was still rather rudimentary and I leaned it out a bit not really impacting power, but I couldn't get it anywhere near the LC bike.

I'd added a booster plug on the LC and it helped fractionally, but the electronics undefeatable for use with cruise control was on another level of performance loss. Combined with the fact even when the electronic nannies allowed it to actually try and run, it was always far SLOWER than my air cooled GS was everywhere. The demo bike went hard after 8k but my LC did nothing anywhere. So I off loaded it very quickly.

So now I needed to sort the air cooled bikes issues. Unable to find anyone sensible to tackle the bugs in the ignition curve, I found in June 2008 BMW had released a little known bunch if "fixes" to most of the ills it had and remains the standard map the bikes are supposed to be running. The fixes where:

1) low speed idle stability
2) improved low temperature fuelling
3) resolving customer complaints of pinging by "improving knock sensitivity"

It took a whole £25 pounds and 15 mins to achieve at my local BW dealer in Jan 2018, adding a map that was available some 18 month before I'd ever bought the bike - making the 9 years I been waiting seem a bit over the top as they had always claimed there was nothing they could change !!!

I had it done in the middle of a winter and superficially it felt smoother down the bottom end.

point 1) is better
point 2) is wrong, its far too rich when temps are below 10C. And I can't sort with the PC3 as it would be more wrong when warmer
point 3) is different. Instead of making proper power and holding back now and then for a fraction at 6300 rpm if it detects knock, it now make NO power at all anywhere and its awful

But those are only a few mistakes this hideous currently official BMW remap has caused. A far bigger issue is now impacting drivability in an RPM band you notice every ride. The inherent rough spot of the bike at 4600 rpm is still as rough as it was, but instead of still making serious power and torque through this engine frequency vibe, its now flatter than a squashed hedgehog. With the bike actually struggling to rev through 4 to 5 k at all and then making the old 5500 rpm levels of grunt from 6000 to 7800 rpm - whereas it used to pull hard and rev out cleanly from 3k rpm all the way to the red line on the original map it had when I bought it !!!!

I'd actually say its a flat as standard 2010 bikes are now, whereas it had been far quicker

Back
Top Bottom