Seat removal advice please.

Andy B

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
The bike is a 1979 R100RT.

It came with two seats - the standard and a Denfeld single seat. Since purchasing I have riden only with the Denfeld but at the weekend decided to switch them over. The Denfeld never latched down - just gravity doing its thing.

The original has latched down and I am unsure how to get it to open. My Haynes and Clymer Manuals are short on detail. I think I have the correct key for the lock but when inserted (in a vertical position) it turns just short of a quarter-turn clockwise. It feels as if it should go further but I have used a degree of force up to the point where I think the key might break in the lock.

Could someone start by just explaining the method of opening just so I am clear? Should it lock each time the seat is put into the down position? Is there another button or lever that should release it without the need for a key?

All comments welcome! Pictures and videos even more welcome!:D

Thanks

Aha! So the seized pin next to the lock is the first part of releasing it is it? I did wonder about that but it is so solid I dismissed it as part of the opening process.

I'm off out to the shed!:thumb2

All sorted! A little penetrating oil on the button and a very gentle tap with a pin hammer has got the button working again. :thumb

Many thanks

Worth taking of the top of the seat latching mechanism, You will benefit if you clean and lubricate the parts, filing any burrs. I turned a slightly longer release pin in stainless and it makes it easier to operate. Ill turn one up for you if you don't have access to a lathe.

That's a really kind offer.

Unlike you, my shed is not warm! I am going to wait for some slightly better weather to dig in and see what the general condition of the latch and parts is. I doubt it has ever been worried about in the past - as long as it works!:D

Back
Top Bottom