Taking four bikes to Ulaanbaatar

D#head

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
June 2020 we are planing out what's the best way to have our bikes transported to mongolia, we looked at two options one was to have the bikes picked up as there was only two of us, now there will be four, what I'm thinking is taking a long wheel base van with four bikes, one of the guys is happy to drive the van as he is taking a year off work, the rest of us will fly to Ulaanbaatar and meet up, we are thinking that we will have four bikes with five riders so we can take turns driving the van, the van will leave England and travel the most direct route to Mongolia,
The cost to have some one take the bikes works out £1500 each, that means we would have £7500 to take our own van then we will have a support van that can carry all our equipment keeps the bikes light, I can't see any problems with what we are plans apart from breakdowns and things like that, we are looking at visas and such, would any one have any suggestions

Just hope your van holds up to get the bikes home again, otherwise heaven forbid, you'd have to ride them :D ;)

I’ve not been to Mongolia. So I don’t know about that as specifics.
However, I have looked at Carnets for Mongolia. Not required for individual travellers with their own vehicle.
They do use ATA Carnet for commercial users. I know that Morocco is a totally different country but if you enter with a van with numerous bikes in they are likely to count it as commercial. Therefore requiring an ATA Carnet.

That would be one of the first things that I would check into. Plus the implications of crossing the other borders on the way with the bikes in the back.

Sounds like a great trip in the planning. Russia/Mongolia is on our list too.

Just hope your van holds up to get the bikes home again, otherwise heaven forbid, you'd have to ride them :D ;)

That's a chance we take I think,. I should have said we plan to ride back to the UK taking about 6 weeks

However, I have looked at Carnets for Mongolia. Not required for individual travellers with their own vehicle.
They do use ATA Carnet for commercial users. I know that Morocco is a totally different country but if you enter with a van with numerous bikes in they are likely to count it as commercial. Therefore requiring an ATA Carnet.

That would be one of the first things that I would check into. Plus the implications of crossing the other borders on the way with the bikes in the back.

I'll check it out
Thanks

I'm sure you already know about it young D#head but this place should have the answers - http://www.horizonsunlimited.com

https://www.stantours.com/ can be a useful resource for visa/permit info, if you need I can dig out an email address for a guy who can help.

Comprehensive travel insurance is a must as is being careful in your timing of both when you apply for visas and of course their duration.

A normal Russian visa should give you duel entry which of course you'll need, but if there's more than one month between entries then you may need a business visa unless things have changed.

You'll need a permit to ride the Pamir region in addition to your Tajikistan visa, if you don't have one that's valid they can be had from their embassy in Kyrgyzstan.

You could of course van the bikes to Irkutsk and rv there instead if a Carnet is required for a van load of bikes entering Mongolia.
BUT entering a country with a van load of bikes doesn't always mean you'll be allowed to leave without them, so check it out :D

You may be interested in this and seem to remember I mentioned visas etc.
http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/199414-Heavy-Metal-around-Mongolia-and-Central-Asia

https://www.stantours.com/ can be a useful resource for visa/permit info, if you need I can dig out an email address for a guy who can help.

Comprehensive travel insurance is a must as is being careful in your timing of both when you apply for visas and of course their duration.

A normal Russian visa should give you duel entry which of course you'll need, but if there's more than one month between entries then you may need a business visa unless things have changed.

You'll need a permit to ride the Pamir region in addition to your Tajikistan visa, if you don't have one that's valid they can be had from their embassy in Kyrgyzstan.

You could of course van the bikes to Irkutsk and rv there instead if a Carnet is required for a van load of bikes entering Mongolia.
BUT entering a country with a van load of bikes doesn't always mean you'll be allowed to leave without them, so check it out :D

You may be interested in this and seem to remember I mentioned visas etc.
http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/199414-Heavy-Metal-around-Mongolia-and-Central-Asia

Some interesting reading when I get a chance, I've done the multi entry visa for Russia and visa's for the stans a few years back I used a London company, it's a russian company I can't remember the name at the moment but I will use them again I think, I had to go to the russian embassy to have my photo and prints taken, the permit for the Pamir is new to me so will look into that, it's the van with bikes that I will need to know more about,,,,,thank you for some useful stuff

Some interesting reading when I get a chance, I've done the multi entry visa for Russia and visa's for the stans a few years back I used a London company, it's a russian company I can't remember the name at the moment but I will use them again I think, I had to go to the russian embassy to have my photo and prints taken, the permit for the Pamir is new to me so will look into that, it's the van with bikes that I will need to know more about,,,,,thank you for some useful stuff

Yes, my info is 10 years old so things may have changed for the Pamirs.

Hopefully Mide or Kev may see this thread and shed some light on van/bike.

Alternatively try getting hold of Walter Colebatch (try a PM on ADVrider although I do have his email somewhere) who will definitely give you some answers.
https://advrider.com/colebatch/

Alternatively try getting hold of Walter Colebatch (try a PM on ADVrider although I do have his email somewhere) who will definitely give you some answers.

Still very useful stuff :thumb

Hiya, I guess it very much depends on what route you plan on taking back to UK. We had left our bikes in UB a couple of years ago and picked them up last August. We rode from UB eastto the statue, south to not quite the Gobi (long story) and westand up into Russia, down into Kazakhstan and we popped in and out of Kyrgystan. Our bikes are currently in Almaty waiting for this year's trip;)
I have to tell you that I'd rather eat my own shite than drive a van on a lot of the roads we rode. When the tarmac is good, it's very, very good. But, when it's bad, it's horrid.
The bikes cannot go over the border to Russia without the owners of the bikes being with them. So chucking them in a van and driving through Russia is a no no. I imagine driving the other way would be really, really tiresome with the borders and the visas and the bureaucracy.

If it were me, I'd pay the money and have them shipped. People are generally very helpful in any of the countries we've been to. You could manage without support. What's the worst that could happen;-)

Tell me more please :thumb

Back
Top Bottom