Siebenrock GS2 speedo installation

Jon T

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all,
I bought a GS2 speedo for my ’88 R100GS to replace the knackered original, one of the selling points being the plug and play nature of it, Siebenrock having figured out an installation kit for an Acewell speedo, in essence.

I may be being thick, because there are good instructions for bolting the thing in, but a fairly brief description of sorting the wiring (the bit I find tricky). The speedo comes with a set of OE style plugs, and the instructions say “Sensor and power supply wired to the original plug connectors“. I can’t find a 3 pin power socket spare to connect to, and the kit doesn’t come with a spare for me to wire back to power, earth etc.

Before I get the wire snips out, can anyone shed any light on this? Am I missing something blindingly obvious? Help, please!

Fitted one to my G/S and it was a straight forward installation.
Everything was quite obvious, the only fiddly bit was the calibration but trial and error got that sorted.

The kit is the same for the various airheads.

Did you get the Acewell speed sensor that attaches to the top of the gearbox instead of the original bmw cable?
This is needed to get the siebenrock GS2 to work (its actually an Acewell CA85 speedo with a siebenrock face on it)
Acewell can supply the relevant speed sensor if you give them a call.

All the other wiring should just fit straight on the wiring harness if its standard.
Give acewell a call.... Ive always found them helpful.

Thanks, I did get the impression it would be a doddle... I wonder if the BMW pod rev counter is plugged into the socket that the speedo should go in? I have the speedo sender, so that should be straightforward.

Thanks Kalle, that’s really helpful.

Next question - is it possible to buy the OE style round plug that the Rev counter uses? Anyone found a source?

PW Cymru

What numbers did you end up with to get the acewell to show speed correctly?
(I’m assuming BMW R80GS ...and what tyre?)

Thanks

I can’t remember but I checked it against a sat nav and adjusted accordingly, the bike is a g/s on std tyres.

I think the figure offered in the paperwork was way out so I may have interpreted it wrong.

Thanks for getting back to me..... I think I will just have to play around with numbers and the sat nav for reverence.

Ride safe

Just to follow this up in case it’s of any use to anyone else, I’ve had a bit of a result with this, and tonight fired the bike up and had the old rev counter, clock and the speedo new working. A search threw up a similar question to mine on advrider, to which someone replied with a source for the plug and socket, the amusingly named Rick Donkers https://www.rdae.nl/rnst4.html
The website is all in Dutch, but I guessed my way through and ordered up a couple of sets of bits. They arrived yesterday, and I’ve made a y-piece with one plug and two sockets. GS2 speedo and old rev counter plugged in, and we’re in business. Yay!

I read somewhere that some users of this speedo had problems with the watertightness and that the window can fog up due to moisture.
Does anyone have (negative) experiences with this siebenrock gs2?

I read somewhere that some users of this speedo had problems with the watertightness and that the window can fog up due to moisture.
Does anyone have (negative) experiences with this siebenrock gs2?

Yes !

Seems to steam up when the sun is on it and then it slowly disappears.

Mikeyboy fitted one to my Overland 80GS.

I did mention it to him but he said “they all do that”.

He got it from Gary at BAMW who said the same.

Bit shit to be honest.

Mine exactly the same also bought from BAMW.

Seems to be a lack of venting.

The batch of GS2 were sold off cheap due to failures so make sure you get a good returns guarantee,I had mine for a lot less than the Motorworks price.

Done 700 miles on mine now and it’s fine but a bit foggy.

my acewell 4553 does the same thing, fogs up. bit annoying really. ill try and sort it with a bit of sealant, if and when i can be arsed.

If anyone is thinking of buying a Siebenrock GS2 for their bike...... save some money, and buy direct from Acewell.
Acewell makes it for siebenrock, and the Acewell CA85 unit comes in a “plug n play” version for R80G/S (or ST...or R100GS)
And actually has more features.......
Acewell have been very helpful in the past when I needed help with their speedo’s (my fault as I’m a numpty)....
A good British company, with good after sales IMHO.
(I dont work for them, just a satisfied customer)

Bubb

Rev counter plug plugs to siebenrock speedo. So you loose that.

Hi Kalle
I am installing a G2 on my 81 g/s. I don't get what I should do to get the rev counter working. Instructions say to wrap a yellow wire around the plug wire or connect a white wire to the coil. I don't see either a spare yellow OR white in the unit. Can you help??

Fraid my Acewell/Seibenrok packed up after a couple of hundred miles, plus I had the misting problem. It started going haywire and needle shooting around, only occasional at first, but it got gradually worse. Eventually I gave up, and returned it to Gary at BaMW, who refunded etc, with no problems.
I ended up sending my original GS speedo over to Wirespokes in USA , who rebuilt and overhauled and recalibrated, and works a treat now. Very helpful chap, and well worth the wait! Arkwright has used him several times, and he also repaired my pal's speedo at same time as mine, so we halved the shipping costs.
To be honest, I didn't like the looks of the Acewell, as it was smaller than my GS PD speedo, and had a red needle too - call me picky, but it wouldn't be a big job for Acewell to make it look more in-keeping, but that's just my feelings.

Fraid my Acewell/Seibenrok packed up after a couple of hundred miles, plus I had the misting problem. It started going haywire and needle shooting around, only occasional at first, but it got gradually worse. Eventually I gave up, and returned it to Gary at BaMW, who refunded etc, with no problems.
I ended up sending my original GS speedo over to Wirespokes in USA , who rebuilt and overhauled and recalibrated, and works a treat now. Very helpful chap, and well worth the wait! Arkwright has used him several times, and he also repaired my pal's speedo at same time as mine, so we halved the shipping costs.
To be honest, I didn't like the looks of the Acewell, as it was smaller than my GS PD speedo, and had a red needle too - call me picky, but it wouldn't be a big job for Acewell to make it look more in-keeping, but that's just my feelings.

I've had my g/s speedo done by this chap too. Good service but it does take a while.

The speedo is now reads more or less the correct speed, give or take 5%, whereas before it read 85 when I was doing 70.

Just to follow this up in case it’s of any use to anyone else, I’ve had a bit of a result with this, and tonight fired the bike up and had the old rev counter, clock and the speedo new working. A search threw up a similar question to mine on advrider, to which someone replied with a source for the plug and socket, the amusingly named Rick Donkers https://www.rdae.nl/rnst4.html
The website is all in Dutch, but I guessed my way through and ordered up a couple of sets of bits. They arrived yesterday, and I’ve made a y-piece with one plug and two sockets. GS2 speedo and old rev counter plugged in, and we’re in business. Yay!
Hi Jon T
Which country are you in? I have just tried to order some plug sets but the company does not appear to ship to the UK. I have sent an email to check if this us right but they are on holiday for a while.
Thanks for the info.

Hi Jon T
Which country are you in? I have just tried to order some plug sets but the company does not appear to ship to the UK. I have sent an email to check if this us right but they are on holiday for a while.
Thanks for the info.
Hi, I’m in Warwickshire, in the UK. I bought the bits in 2019, that’s before the customs rules changed after we fully embraced the opportunities of the dreaded B….. maybe therein lies your problem?

Back
Top Bottom