Scotland's quiet corner

Barley-Mow

Reaction score
If you're looking for somewhere for a quiet break, consider the Isle of Whithorn. It's a tiny fishing village on the shore, looking across to Ireland (on a clear day), and about a half hour ride on remote country roads south of the A75 at Newton Stewart via Wigtown (fuel), the former county town of Wigtownshire, now a book town after the model of Hay on Wye.

A great place to unwind, or you can head north and explore the Galloway forest park, including some forest roads. You can get accommodation and meals for modest cost at the Steam Packet Inn (if it was any closer to the shore it would be in the water), which has the singular advantage that in its back yard it houses the 5 Kingdoms craft brewery, which of course is on tap in the bar, and very good it is too (as far as I can remember). When I queried the 5 kingdoms they told me that from a nearby headland you could see Scotland, Ireland, England, the Isle of Man, and the top of Snowdon. Though perhaps only after you've had a few glasses.

There's also history in the form of St. Ninian's Chapel, as well as the sad memorials to the Solway Harvester, which formerly berthed at nearby Kirkcudbright and you may recall went down in the Irish Sea in mysterious circumstances, with loss of all hands.

Try it, you might like it.

Thanks for this recommendation - looks a great quiet place with good views, the latest reviews say the rooms have been revamped with the beer being of the very highest quality and some top seafood to boot.
Just booked for 2 nights in September when the missus and I are having a little jaunt around the borders and D&G area for a few nights on the bike.
Just gotta find somewhere for the nights before and after now.

Will report back post trip in the experience !

For goodness sake! We’ll have everyone going! :blast

Have a look at my recent wee birl thread for other places to visit in the area. Also consider a wee circular ride north to the Mennock pass and Leadhills then back again via the old A74 and then Moniaive and Thornhill.

I went to Mull many years ago, the bike had a Datatool alarm that armed after you left the bike etc, anyway somebody or something must have triggered the alarm, which upset an older lady’s piece and quiet.

She lent out her upstairs window and in a very Scottish/ highland accent shouted down “For goodness sake, we don’t bother with these kind of things here, we just phone the ferry company”

Mull used to be quiet :) :thumb

Shut-up about this area! I recently spent a few nights in Annan (Corner House Hotel, basic but okay) and went for a bimble around the Galloway Forest and east to Selkirk via St Mary's Loch and back via Eskdale.

Shut-up about this area! I recently spent a few nights in Annan (Corner House Hotel, basic but okay) and went for a bimble around the Galloway Forest and east to Selkirk via St Mary's Loch and back via Eskdale.

You should have said; I work in Annan!

Friend has a cottage on the Isle stunning location. The Steam Packet is great along with the brewery . The cliff walk to the north of the harbour is excellent.

I was down Wanlockhead last week, lovely roads.

f0da0dd6d40f3a7fa29ed1da9a223924.jpg

051b8035dfadd8490f71a00945789c5d.jpg

Megget Reservoir ? Was up there on Monday, the parking areas were like caravan sites.............

Shinyface

Was vaguely thinking of heading that way in the campervan this weekend, as under 2 hours drive for me. For those with vans/motorhomes, the Isle of Whithorn has a nice pub (the Steam Packet IIRC). They have a "Britstop" facility - you park in their car park overnight for free assuming you spend some cash in the bar...
https://thesteampacketinn.co.uk/

I'm taking a pal up to Scotland in September, he's never been before and was keen to head for the well trodden highlands. Talked him out of it and we're having three nights in Dumfries to explore the Borders and then up to Callander for three nights to go west and east from there, leaving the highlands for another year. So many visitors just ride or drive through the Borders and head for the far north, missing out on some hidden gems.

Just got back from Armoy races and rode the 712 from Newton Stewart, some of the best riding roads ive been on

How were the races? Couldn't make it this year due to sciatica issues.

How were the races? Couldn't make it this year due to sciatica issues.

Ive been going to the NW200 for the last 11yrs and loved it but Armoy is on a different level, a lot smaller lower key event. A lovely farmer let us use his yard to spectate from, his fence being 2-3ft from the road, incredible to see Dunlop overtaking at 180mph on a single carriageway, he was on fire, nice to see guy Martin back on a bike as well. Classic race was amazing, listening to the MV Augusta being well and truly thrashed. Armoy is on the calendar from now on

Think everyone was coming back from Armoy the other weekend whilst I was heading to the Steam Packet and the Isle of Whithorn.

I can attest to the said quality of the accommodation, the food and also the beer. Being a brewer myself the selection of cask ale as well as the 5 Kingdoms beers is excellent. Had a great nights stay there.

I went down the coast roads so Galloway forest park will have to do next time. Gives me another excuse to go back.

All the roads down there are my stomping grounds ,I live in Ayr and regularly head from ayr down to straiton and take the newton stewart road down thru the galloway forest park was down thru there 3 weeks ago was great hardly any traffic and awesome views..:thumb2..need to get down that way again..if youre camping head for balloch o dee campsite ..its off the A75 heading west from newton stewart look for the 3 lochs campsite signpost then follow the road for a few miles...can recommend it :thumb

Back
Top Bottom