Boots

Deleted account 221212001

Reaction score
I’m after a rugged but comfortable pair of boots to use with my GSA, what do we all use and what would you recommend? Additionally if anyone has a spare pair, size 10.5 or 11 they don’t need I’d be interested.

Daytona - all day comfortable either on or off the bike, last forever, Daytona offer re soling/new zip/Velcro etc servicing, totally waterproof. A bit pricey but will last forever.

There is a section for this. Scroll down past the clown section and you will find http://www.ukgser.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/381-Clothing-amp-Protective-Gear
Move the thread there using the thread tools in the bar above.

My choice, Gaerne Balance Oiled or Classic boots. Cheaper than the Daytona which feels really posh on the feet. Very sturdy and feels like your favourite pair of slippers and you can walk in them all day. I had my pair for probably 6 or 7 years.
Linky: http://www.gaerne.com/boots/en/articolo/3/11/19/2522-013/brown/

TCX Infinity for me. Had them for years and they are like a pair of slippers. However, i find they interfere with the knee armour in my current troos and get on my nerves when walking around. Going to give the TCX Baja Mid boots a go next.

Daytona ...A bit pricey but will last forever.

I'm struggling bit on that front. The inside of my left boot appears to be rubbing against/ catching something when I gear up/down - has top layer cuts in it (the leather appears quite thin).

I'm struggling bit on that front. The inside of my left boot appears to be rubbing against/ catching something when I gear up/down - has top layer cuts in it (the leather appears quite thin).

My Daytona’s do the same. Only on the LC not on my previous bikes. Took a whole lot of fettling with the shifter and changing my ankle muscle memory on how to move and now it’s ok. Still happens the odd time.

Forma Adventure are also excellent, and great value. I have the short version and they are very comfortable both on and off the bike. Totally waterproof, and able to cope with both hot and cold weather. Daytonas are probably the best on the market, but they are also one of the most expensive options out there.

I have had a couple of pairs of boots. The BMW Atlantis I have must be 18 years old, I must collect them from being resoled. I dropped them in last week and have forgotten to collect them. Still waterproof, still warm, very comfy now they have moulded to my feet over such a long period of time.
I also have a pair of Sid Deep Rain, I got them 3 years ago. Stiff and strong, but enough ankle movement and comfortable to walk in, and work in. I fell off the bike on a pavement, it fell towards the road and pinned me between upside down bike, just refuelled so had 30 odd litres of fuel in it. Bike was on my foot, trapping it between pavement curb and bike, I was pinned and had to shout for the owner of the bike I was to hotograph to come and lift it off me.... boot meant I didn't even have a bruise. I was wearing them when I got punted by a driver on his phone, on the M40...got shoved in front of a big, Merc jeep thing coming up the outside lane. Boots scuffed on toes and metal latches. That's it - I am still wearing them. Still waterproof, wading type waterproof! still incredibly warm and comfortable.
The other week I was tempted by all the praise heaped on Altbergs and bought a lightly used pair off here. They are glorious, but not as much protection as the Sidis, because they are softer, the Sidis have better protection in the tall leg bits, the Altbergs are soft and supple, but totally waterproof.

There is a section for this. Scroll down past the clown section and you will find http://www.ukgser.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/381-Clothing-amp-Protective-Gear
Move the thread there using the thread tools in the bar above.

My choice, Gaerne Balance Oiled or Classic boots. Cheaper than the Daytona which feels really posh on the feet. Very sturdy and feels like your favourite pair of slippers and you can walk in them all day. I had my pair for probably 6 or 7 years.
Linky: http://www.gaerne.com/boots/en/articolo/3/11/19/2522-013/brown/

I like the look of those boots, I think I’ve possibly seen something similar at Infinity M/Cycles at York.

Daytona +1

I would have classed the excellent Gaerne Balanced Oil boots as a Trials boot, lots of lads wear them for trialling.

Daytona - all day comfortable either on or off the bike, last forever, Daytona offer re soling/new zip/Velcro etc servicing, totally waterproof. A bit pricey but will last forever.

I use Daytonas much of the the time and I love them. Not sure I'd call them rugged (as per OP's question) though. Long-lasting and beautifully made, for sure but they've got about as much lower leg protection as a pair of Uggs!

I recently got a pair of Rev'it Gravel boots for a crazy low price on Ebay. Very sturdy boot and after a few wears have become very comfortable. Laminated Outdry membrane and Vibram soul.

I would have classed the excellent Gaerne Balanced Oil boots as a Trials boot, lots of lads wear them for trialling.

Yes they are, but I have yet to find a boot as comfy with all the protection that is needed.

Depends on what kind of riding you are going to do.
Do you want off-road ones?
Comfortable road biased boots?
Cost.

Me ... I chose BMW Gravel boots as I am a road rider. Fit is good and the height of the leg was enough not to get the shin knocked by foot peg when standing next to bike.

Back
Top Bottom