I got an AIRHEAD.... Now I need a driveshaft! Advice please

Bickers2208

Reaction score
Thanks for all that contacted and helped in my search for a airhead to call my own.
I eventually managed to buy the bike from Garry and rode it the 300 miles home.

In this 300 miles and the 100 or so after I have noticed a vibration in the bike that I suspect to be the driveshaft.
When I'm riding it feels like I'm rolling over joins in the motorway at certain speeds.
There seems to be a fair amount of play backwards and forwards in the rear wheel (compared to another I've seen).

What do you think? Driveshaft a likely culprit?

If so what are my best long term options for refurbishment or replacement?

Are the a difficult extraction?

Thanks in advance

Could be your splines? Does it clack when you roll on and off the throttle?

Looks great by the way. :thumb

It does 'clack' when i rock the wheel backwards and forwards in neutral. Haven't heard it while riding though.
I assume splines is worse as they cant be refurbed.

Also worth checking whether it is actually the wheel that has play, sometimes worn pivots fir the final drive can feel like a loose wheel when you try to move it sideways.

It does 'clack' when i rock the wheel backwards and forwards in neutral. Haven't heard it while riding though.
I assume splines is worse as they cant be refurbed.

I think you can. Talk to Mikeyboy.

Him and Mistacat sorted my old RT a few years ago.

Also worth checking whether it is actually the wheel that has play, sometimes worn pivots fir the final drive can feel like a loose wheel when you try to move it sideways.

Ah, I think I misunderstood your post, me thinking play was side to side when you are referring to rotational play . Hence ignore my ramblings.

Back
Top Bottom