K1600GT and iPhone Connection

Deleted account 210609001

Reaction score
I have a K1600GT and an iPhone SE. According to the bike's comms handbook, I should be able to plug the iPhone into the installed cabling with both the USB cable and the headphone jack plug, and that should give me music selection full functionality - artist/track/etc - on the music player on my phone via the thumbwheel. However, the bike comes up with "no USB" message.

I can connect with the headphone jack and locate the phone under the "aux" setting, and hear what's playing, but I can only control the music from the phone - not something that is any use at all when riding.

Has anyone managed to connect an iPhone with the cables and be able to control music selection it from the thumbwheel?

(So far, I'm just looking at getting music from the speakers. I'll cross the next step of getting bluetooth connection to Sena 20S headset next... The only control I have from headset if I pair the phone to the headset is play and pause.)

I should add that my current work around is to pair the iPhone and sat nav to Sena headset (but NOT the bike). That then allows me to listen to music or podcast that I select on the phone itself. I can then start and stop it using Sena, and sat nav instructions automatically pauses the music/podcast. Just need to try that set-up with pillion Sena also connected, and see what takes priority.

I'm not sure what will happen when it reaches the end of a podcast - whether it will move on to the next one, select something at random, or just stop until I can pull over, get the phone out and start another. That's why I really wanted to be able to control the iPhone from the thumbwheel.

at a guess, it may be something to do with the phone knowing that it is connected to 'a vehicle'. Mine does this when i plug in to the car. It only gives base functionality i.e. i cannot scroll for names in phone list or tracks on iTunes... i can only use siri.

Plug the phone in and start the bike... if this is the issue, the screen will 'lock'. Press the button and a message will say 'are you driving'. you can say 'no' but even so, i still only get limited functionality.

Have you tried the www.k1600forum.com ?

Sounds like yours is looking for an MP3 device connected to the USB socket, rather than an iphone connected to the phone socket - many riders have had problems with sequencing the pairings, often forgetting to delete all historic bike/nav/helmet BT pairings before they start.

IIRC there was? a vid on youtube a few years back, by RKA, detailing iphone pairing so as to bring the playlist onto the bike dash on the K16, so the forum may yield a link/results. I you can't find it, I can have a poke around.

Have you tried the www.k1600forum.com ?

Sounds like yours is looking for an MP3 device connected to the USB socket, rather than an iphone connected to the phone socket - many riders have had problems with sequencing the pairings, often forgetting to delete all historic bike/nav/helmet BT pairings before they start.

IIRC there was? a vid on youtube a few years back, by RKA, detailing iphone pairing so as to bring the playlist onto the bike dash on the K16, so the forum may yield a link/results. I you can't find it, I can have a poke around.

I did have a look on the K1600 forum but I can't remember my log-on details. From the posts I saw, it suggests I need a special cable for an iPod or iPhone, available as an official BMW part for £85,000, or a knock-off Chinese one for £4.99. The bike manual does hint at that - I was foolishly thinking just plugging it into the USB socket and then the headphone jack socket with separate cables might do the same thing. Apparently not.

What you say about detecting that I'm driving makes sense, except that the point of plugging it in is that it should allow it to be controlled by the thumbwheel, not using the phone. If I can achieve this, then I will have no need to Bluetooth the sat nav and iPhone to my headset separately - just connect to the bike (which will source the sat nav and iPhone through physical connections). I've had no problems with the bluetooth connection between bike and headset, by the way.

What year is your bike?

This was the K1600forum post I was thinking of ............
https://www.k1600forum.com/forum/rk...90-new-video-about-sena-connections-more.html.
Covers many issues, but the guy is selling the merits of Senna BT gear, so doesn't look at the dash/wonder-wheel availability when plugged into the hotbox.

Rather than pay Motorrad money for tha adapter, rumour has it that Mini do the self same for half the price, so might be worth following through. You need BMW/Apple gear as most rip-offs don't work correctly - it is said Apple phones can sense differences in resistance (might be bar-room bollox).

To be honest is is easier to load the music onto cheapo USB stick and stick that in the USB. You will able to select tracks from there.

I bought a rip-off Fleabay BMW adaptor and, no, it didn't work. I split the "black box" open and it was empty. I assume that the genuine Mini/BMW has an electronic circuit in there.

To be honest is is easier to load the music onto cheapo USB stick and stick that in the USB. You will able to select tracks from there.

I bought a rip-off Fleabay BMW adaptor and, no, it didn't work. I split the "black box" open and it was empty. I assume that the genuine Mini/BMW has an electronic circuit in there.

Exactly what I do rather than stick my iPhone in that pocket. Works fine then.

Can't help smiling at this. How much did you swear when you saw the box was empty?!?

Exactly what I do rather than stick my iPhone in that pocket. Works fine then.

I might try that with a USB stick. For some reason I though it had to be a player of some sort to convert the data into sound - I didn't think just a memory stick would work.

EDIT - Just tried this, and it does indeed work. Only with MPEG 3 files, though. The MPEG 4 files from iTunes aren't recognised by the bike's audio system.

You may need to set the iPhone to be read as mass storage so the bike can access the music. It should ask on the phone when its connected up to the USB cable.

Can't help smiling at this. How much did you swear when you saw the box was empty?!?

I might try that with a USB stick. For some reason I though it had to be a player of some sort to convert the data into sound - I didn't think just a memory stick would work.

EDIT - Just tried this, and it does indeed work. Only with MPEG 3 files, though. The MPEG 4 files from iTunes aren't recognised by the bike's audio system.

You can edit the file type (on a computer) from mp4 to mp3 or save the mp4 as an mp3 and it should work.

I managed to take a quick spin on the bike today with BT headset connected (rather than the static test in the garage using the loudspeakers) and the USB stick with MP3 files on worked just fine - all selectable, not upset by sat nav instructions etc etc.

You can edit the file type (on a computer) from mp4 to mp3 or save the mp4 as an mp3 and it should work.

At the risk of revealing my complete ineptitude over digital matters .... How do I do this? I have a load of tunes in my iTunes library as MP4 files, and another load in the music folder on windows explorer as MP3 files. I can copy tunes from iTunes to the windows folder by copy and paste, but there's no option (in either location) to 'save as'...

It's not the end of the world - the stuff in both locations has been ripped from CDs rather than downloaded, so I can easily rip those in iTunes again in Media Player.

Back
Top Bottom