Wanna know where all the police and mobile radar traps are in real time in Spain?

Deleted account 220214001

Reaction score
Good day all. Having gotten involved in the thread about the speeding fines in Spain I thought I'd post a seperate thread to tell you about a quite marvellous APP which tells you in real time where all the police speed traps are and where the Pegasus is. The Pegasus is the helicopter the police use to catch speeders fro the air.

It's called Social Drive and looks like the pictures below.

It uses location services so it will tell you about the various controls and speed traps in your general area.

I haven't played with it much yet but I do know where the pegasus is right now in Valencia and that there are at least 5 police radar cars in the are.

If you press the notification it will provide you with a google map location also.

HOWEVER, there are two flies in this elixir:

1) The APP is not available in the UK APP store. I had to change the country thereby changing the store in order to download it (my Apple ID is a UK store one, but it can be changed). For some of you it may be impossible to do. I had to put new credit card details but you can use a phone number (if you know someone in Spain) or a PAYPAL account. Once I'd downloaded it, I reverted back to my UK store.

Also, if you have any standing orders or payments due on your APPLE ID, like netflix etc, they will be terminated and on reversion they will have to be set up again.

2) the APP doesn't have the ability to change the language to English. However, it is pretty intuitive and I really don't think there will be much problem navigating your way around it.

So how useful will it be?

For those of us that live in Spain it's invaluable and easy enough to download and understand. For others, if you can be bothered to go through all the rigmarole, it might save you a few euros three years later when the fine comes through.

You can put it in travel mode so that it will track you and tell you about points around you.

Probably not any use whilst on the move but certainly worth a check when stopped for a comfort break for anything in the area. Especially the Pegasus!

Start from the bottom and work your way up to see the progression. I chose a notification, chose "ver Mapa" and it gave me the map, then I did the same for the Pegasus.

Easy.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 461
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 473
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 461
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 471
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 462
Good day all. Having gotten involved in the thread about the speeding fines in Spain I thought I'd post a seperate thread to tell you about a quite marvellous APP which tells you in real time where all the police speed traps are and where the Pegasus is. The Pegasus is the helicopter the police use to catch speeders fro the air.

It's called Social Drive and looks like the pictures below.

It uses location services so it will tell you about the various controls and speed traps in your general area.

I haven't played with it much yet but I do know where the pegasus is right now in Valencia and that there are at least 5 police radar cars in the are.

If you press the notification it will provide you with a google map location also.

HOWEVER, there are two flies in this elixir:

1) The APP is not available in the UK APP store. I had to change the country thereby changing the store in order to download it (my Apple ID is a UK store one, but it can be changed). For some of you it may be impossible to do. I had to put new credit card details but you can use a phone number (if you know someone in Spain) or a PAYPAL account. Once I'd downloaded it, I reverted back to my UK store.

Also, if you have any standing orders or payments due on your APPLE ID, like netflix etc, they will be terminated and on reversion they will have to be set up again.

2) the APP doesn't have the ability to change the language to English. However, it is pretty intuitive and I really don't think there will be much problem navigating your way around it.

So how useful will it be?

For those of us that live in Spain it's invaluable and easy enough to download and understand. For others, if you can be bothered to go through all the rigmarole, it might save you a few euros three years later when the fine comes through.

You can put it in travel mode so that it will track you and tell you about points around you.

Probably not any use whilst on the move but certainly worth a check when stopped for a comfort break for anything in the area. Especially the Pegasus!

Start from the bottom and work your way up to see the progression. I chose a notification, chose "ver Mapa" and it gave me the map, then I did the same for the Pegasus.

Easy.

I would have thought speeding in Valencia was the least of there worries lol.

Parking tickets (not me) and rubbish driving was my biggest encounter out there lol, I used to dread getting a taxi from Almusaffes to the airport lol

The trouble is that in the UK we are spoilt. I drive in both and some of the habits here in Spain leave much to be desired, for sure. Most have no idea where their indicator stalk is, let alone what it's for. However, it is nothing compared to Portugal where they can be downright dangerous.

I got into a stupid road rage incident the other day (in the car) here and it ended up with the guy behind me being bumped by a lorry. Thankfully it was just a bump but it could have been so much worse.

But that is another story...... Speeding tickets here are a big problem and they have just lowered all the single carriageway N road speed limits to 90km/h which basically means..... more revenue. There is no other reason for it but, of course, they site accident numbers.

ANyway, make no mistake, this APP is used and updated regularly by taxi drivers especially and very much in the north which is where my Taxi driver mate is from.

Are you saying there is just the one helicopter “ The Pegasus “ that covers the whole of Spain ?

No, it's the "system" that's called Pegasus. Not every province has one, some may have more than one.

I had a fine through many years ago when I moved here for parking outside a supermarket on a yellow line. I was in the car waiting for my wife who'd popped in to get something from my in-laws' house. It was for €150!!! I thought: that won't even pay for fuel for 10 minutes on that thing.

Just been reading up on it a bit, if you're interested. It's certainly not military grade stuff (thankfully!) and its stats are far more limited than I thought they would be.

It has to be within 1k distance and 1000' altitude of the vehicle to read speed and registration. That's good because a quick glance round about can spot it. However, helicopters can, and do, pop up from nowhere. That is fine on the plains where you can see for miles on a clear day, not so easy to spot in more contoured areas.

There are 8 helicopters with the Pegasus system installed in Spain. However, in any one area you will only have one within reach at any one time.

Back
Top Bottom