CB500x or the NC750X ??????????????????

the voices

Reaction score
Hi all i know everyone has there own choice, but i am totally stumped on which one to go for, At the moment i use a 2005 beta alp 4.0 with supermoto wheels and the suzuki 350 engine for taking my son out on local roads at the weekends and would like my wife to come with us (she will ride the beta) so am looking for another to use two up for me and my son we do around 4 to 5 thousand miles a year, (WE USE THE GS FOR LONGER TRIPS OUT)
Would like to get the one that you dont have to spend a shed load of money on to get it to a usable standard, biggest miles will be three hundred miles at the most, two up we weigh approx 22 stone, need a helping voice as going into a showroom i go all weak start dribbling and get my money out but thought i would think a bit harder about this purchase cheers wayne.

I haven’t ridden either so not much use but if you have a decent Honda dealer nearby test ride them or at least have a sit on them bother see which one is the most comfy

I currently own a 2017 cb500x and have owned an early nc700x.
Both good bikes, similar fuel economy but the nc is far superior comfort wise and if you're two up it's the one to go for. I very recently hired a cb500x in Thailand, did a 4 day trip then a 2 day trip covering about 1,000miles. It was really uncomfortable after 2hours and hard work when pushing on to get somewhere.
I recall riding my nc to southern France and found it really comfy.....go for the NC

I have ridden the street versions of the 500 and 750 Hondas. I found the NC motor to be totally lacking in character with the rev limiter coming in annoyingly early, and I don’t hare about any more! The 500 on the other hand was quite a laugh, but it won’t be as suitable for two up riding. Before signing up on the NC, give the Suzuki VStrom 650 a try. It is the roomiest mid range ‘Adventure’ bike for two up riding and the engine is much more fun than the NC. If you are pootling along two up at the same speed as the Beta you can expect 65 to 70mpg. You might even decide you don’t need the GS any longer :D

many many thanks for the replys, will up date on what i end up with cheers wayne

I currently own a 2017 cb500x and have owned an early nc700x.
Both good bikes, similar fuel economy but the nc is far superior comfort wise and if you're two up it's the one to go for. I very recently hired a cb500x in Thailand, did a 4 day trip then a 2 day trip covering about 1,000miles. It was really uncomfortable after 2hours and hard work when pushing on to get somewhere.
I recall riding my nc to southern France and found it really comfy.....go for the NC

What do you consider pushing on ? I am off to Australia in November for 6 weeks and it was one of the bikes I was considering buying for the trip (Darwin - Broome - Perth - Adelaide - Melbourne - basically the coast for around 6000 miles). Is the comfort problem seat related or bar position ?

Everyone is different with regard to what they view as 'pushing on', what they view as comfortable and even down to best tyres/brake pads etc etc. Prior to your trip, I'd try and get half a day minimum on the bikes you're considering buying :beerjug:

True, speed limit generally 110 kph but 130 kph in the Northern Territory. As it’s a holiday I will be cruising around the 100 kph mark, and given Ozzy speeding fines are quite large (up to 13 kph over is A$177, 13 kph to 20 kph A$266 20 kph to 30 kph A$444 and it goes up) and they are very keen to catch you, pushing on is not really an issue.

Will be trying to blag a ride on a Honda CB500X and a V-strom 650 as these are the two top choices so far unless something else comes up. There is a BMW 700 GS for sale but will probably be sold by the time I need to but one.

I would have thought an F700/800 GS would fit the bill personally. Plentiful now the new 750/850s are on the road.

Looking at the Honda options suggested by the OP, the 750 will do the job albeit in a somewhat boring fashion. After all, it's got half a Jazz car engine, so torquey but low revving & dull.

There are F700/800 GS's around but not many in Darwin or the Northern Territory. It's trying to find the balance between a decent bike to do the mileage but not shell out a fortune. A A$10,000 bike will recover a fair bit of the purchase price but assuming, say a 25% loss if sold to a dealer, then that's A$2,500 (about £1,400) which is OK but if a Honda CB500X is fine then they are half the price with half the loss and being learner legal easier to sell on. Also factor in higher costs for rego and insurance (over and above the third party insurance that comes with the rego).

Not going to skimp on a bike but not going to throw money away either if a bigger bike is not needed. Hire is about A$5,000 for the time I am away so buying a A$5,000 bike and getting nothing back is the same as hiring and as I will get something selling it seems the best solution.

Time will tell, I will see what is on offer in October.

Back
Top Bottom