Xt1200z owner back to what I know

Very nice I really like that.
I've gotta itch for a S10 that needs scratching v soon.

I had a Super Ten itch that I finally scratched last summer when I became the owner of a 2017 non-ES bike with just over 2k miles on it. Within a month I had fitted my trusty old Garmin Zumo, a set of Oxford Heated Grips, some Givi QD racks, (sourced from this forum), a pair of 37 litreGivi Dolomiti cases,the Laminar Lip from my old Buell Ulysses and fitted a Pelican 1450 case to the rear rack and off I went to Holland, Germany and Poland. 9 days and 2000 miles later I came home with an average fuel consumption of 53.8 mpg and a big smile on my face!

I have since levelled the seat as described on the American Forum and put quite a few more miles on it and more smiles on my face too. I have never felt wanting for more power, it has a nice grunty mid-range which does it for me. It is more flexible that I thought a big twin could be and having a 270 degree crank, it has character too.

It is true that if you switch the cruise control off, it can be quite abrupt, but you can also turn the cruise control off by simply dipping the clutch which gives you the opportunity to synchronise your throttle for a seamless experience for you and your pillion.

I have heard that the 2010-13 bikes have a more abrupt throttle action and can benefit from being “chipped”, but the 2014 and onwards bikes have a more progressive throttle action although S mode can be quite snappy, but it has never bothered me. T mode is quite nice and relaxing when you are touring and you still get the same power but delivered in a somewhat gentler manner.

IMHO, the Super Ten is probably the most under-rated big Adventure style bike on the market. During my Euro trips, I have met quite a few Germans riding Super Tens, they have told me that GS owners tend to develop a close relationship with the BMW dealers as they watch their wallets getting lighter but the Super Ten owners just keep on riding.

There is a 2 page piece in the back of Bike Mag this month, which pretty well agrees with longdog. Such a solid, reliable yet underrated Adv bike, my 2014 ES is certainly a keeper, but Yamaha made a hash of marketing the thing from the outset. Strange, as their opposition was in clear sight.

I had a Gen 1 bike and did over 20k no problems

So impressed i changed it for a Gen 2 bike
If you are going to get one get a Gen 2 bike....A big improvement IMHO
The only thing i didn't like about the Gen 2 was the screen.... so i swapped it for Gen 1 screen
Very underrated

Attachments

• P1040396.jpg
    P1040396.jpg
    236.5 KB · Views: 1,048
  • P1040925.jpg
    P1040925.jpg
    215.3 KB · Views: 1,050
Garry H, you have a Givi Airflow screen in the bottom picture, how do you get along with it?

The Givi works well
But i don't like too much in front of me...That's why i went back to the screen in the first picture with the deflector on the top
As you can see it's much narrower but doesn't give as much protection
That's also why i removed the Gen 2 adjustable screen
I still have the Givi but have not used it for a while so would consider parting with it if anybody wants one

The 2 Dinosaurs ;)

Attachments

• P1050354.jpg
    P1050354.jpg
    220.1 KB · Views: 1,028
I keep looking at these more and more, been thinking about getting something different next year to replace a 1150GSA and I like reliable and bulletproof :thumb2

I keep looking at these more and more, been thinking about getting something different next year to replace a 1150GSA and I like reliable and bulletproof :thumb2

If you like your R1150GSA, then you will love the SuperTen!

If you like your R1150GSA, then you will love the SuperTen!

I think I already know and accept that. I'd only be selling one of my 1150 GSAs though so it would be the best of both worlds :D

I still miss mine, 4 years and 23,000 miles was the longest I have owned a bike, but went Orange when KTM gave away some 1190 Adventures in spring 2016, still got the 1190, briefly had a 1090 to share with the Mrs (offered awesome deal) and now sold the 1090 and added a 1290S to sit alongside the 1190 (the 1290S was another awesome deal, barely more than S10 money)

The Yamaha is overweight and underpowered alongside the KTM's, but ridden in isolation it always did what I needed it to, a bit down on power if I started chasing sportsbikes, and sometimes high speed two-up overtakes left me wishing for a bit more power, but the other 99% of the time it was more than adequate, and now the Mrs always rides her own bike I would be happy on another S10, might even get another one when I get bored of 160BHP and more tech than NASA (especially if it starts going wrong!)

If I needed a bike to run for a decade and stick 50,000+ miles on then the S10 would be top of my list, it must be the one of the most reliable bikes on the planet....

...Currently I don't, and I am loving the KTM's performance as for me it neatly works well as both an adventure bike and a super comfy sports-tourer.

What us S10 owners really want is a nice update Gen3 please Mr. Yamaha - shed some weight, 125bhp at the wheel, update the styling but not too much electrickery.

NOT......wasting time/money with the likes of the Niken, or pimped up Tracers.

Will it ever happen - I rather doubt it TBH. After strong desert racing success Yam failed to market the S10 sensibly & the resultant World sales just aren't sufficient to encourage chucking development budgets at it. Others, mainly BMW/KTM/Ducati have already given them a spanking to remember.

Inneresting. I think the S10 is the only bike produced since the 1150GS that would appeal to me if I had to replace mine (2002 single-spark non-servo).

Some comments above suggest that the S10 seems to be a brother-from-another-mother of the 1150GS?

I've yet to have a spin on Adam's (Crunch on here)... must start badgering him...

The two of us farting around in Spain & Portugal last year...

Inneresting. I think the S10 is the only bike produced since the 1150GS that would appeal to me if I had to replace mine (2002 single-spark non-servo).

Some comments above suggest that the S10 seems to be a brother-from-another-mother of the 1150GS?

I've yet to have a spin on Adam's (Crunch on here)... must start badgering him...

The two of us farting around in Spain & Portugal last year...

Phaedrus

That's how I would describe the S10 it's the bike the GS1200 should have been instead of a bike designed by the accountants, cut price at all costs, paint, gearbox, final drive.

Barny

One thing to check on the S10 is spoke tension. They did at one time have a few coming loose, particularly on the rear wheel. just give them a nip every now and then with a 5mm allen key.

One thing to check on the S10 is spoke tension. They did at one time have a few coming loose, particularly on the rear wheel. just give them a nip every now and then with a 5mm allen key.

A few GSs have suffered the same issue too - it's a part of the service regime that many dealers seem to choose to forget. Plenty of info on the forum .... www.yamahasupertenere.com

If using the S10 off road or long distance, it's best to put a zip-ties at each spoke intersection, so that in the event of a breakage, the swinging arm/rear drive/forks/brakes don't pick up any collateral. Similarly, fit forks 'socks' so the seals get decent protection in challenging conditions.

I had my S10 for approx 23k miles and 18mths.

I think I added more miles to the S10s clock than I have to any other bike I've had: not because it was the fastest or best but because I simply enjoyed riding it especially after adding an Akrapovic slip-on. I'm not sure why I enjoyed it so much but I did :nenau. It's not like it was outstanding at anything really.

It was also one of two bikes to have left me stranded [the other being a HD], a loose connection to the starter relay was the issue. Another show stopper in the making was the corrosion on the coil sticks discovered when the valves were adjusted. All were rusty with one being very badly deformed. Rusty coils are far from being unknown and 4 of them are not a cheap replacement.

Like the op I've a 1290 now and may well own another S10 in the future [that fancy new V85 looks good too]. The longest I've ever owned a bike was 11yrs and that was a R1100GS. Guess I like simple & understated.

20161016_151701-XL.jpg

IMG_4311-X3.jpg

XT1200Z S10

Hello
Had the loose rear spokes back in 2013 when new ,just keep an eye on them.They do seem to allow water in the spark plug/coil stick orifice.I have changed my plugs each year and used silicone grease on the rubber grommets at the top of the coil sticks which seem to keep a check on it?Spark plugs have been known to get stuck if left too long.
Kreiga fork protectors are good idea, had to change one of the lower stancions on mine due to grit/fork rub.
Really good bike just a tad heavy.:D

ive had 2 S10's now, first one i put 55k on the clock - with only ever 2 "hard start " issues, which didnt leave me stranded.

but the second S10, i did have an issue with one coil, very very odd. It wasnt seated properly until too late when i knew about it, and had rusted up and the plug. I got it sorted handily enough, but the coils are expensive. Not sure why the coil was sitting oddly, as it was a low miler i bought.

they are a great bike, well able to move, and will do pretty much anything. Im a capable rider with many yrs experience, having owned a lot of sportsbikes and done trackdays etc, i can tell you the S10 is planted, there are no hidden things you cannot do, or in the bikes behaviour / chassis. No big bike is razor pin sharp on tight roads or long sweeping bends, but the S10 will always hold its line and never buck / weave. Quite something for such a big bike, and particularly those long forks, which are solid !

The S10 is due an update to a degree, not a big one, but a few tweeks to move it on. 150bhp is not the bike it is, but 120 bhp would be nice , and to carry its weight a bit lower.

re the weight issue :confused: - too many dinner bought german fanboy journalists spurting this around. The GS weights claimed are always dry, and not always accurate either. ( do a web search ).

the S10 carries its weight up high, which puts ppl off, this is the one issue yamaha need to sort, as it would get less taller riders onto the bike. It is a big bike to lift off the stand, but once moving, its solid, balance and v v easy to manoeuvre.

I dont think it was Yamaha's intention to go out an compete with multistradas and cheesy ktm adv bikes, its in its own niche in my opinion. 1200cc bombproof ( pretty much ) shaft driven trailie that will go anywhere literally, and its confidence inspiring in all weathers.

thats my 2 cents worth.

Really good bike just a tad heavy.:D

its not too heavy, it just carries the weight up high, where as the GS doesnt, like the hondas, lower centre of gravity.

I cant agree. I found the weight to be carried low....certainly compared to the Honda Crosstourer.

I enjoyed my S10 immensely. Only issue i had was the power commander I had fitted decided to screw up the bikes electronics some how...even Yamaha had no idea what went wrong. Ended up with new TPS and a couple of other sensors fitted and all was well again..cost was £800 though!

Went down the Hilltop route after that and all was well.

I really hope Yamaha produce a 1400 Triple S10..that was the rumour a couple of years ago..then they brought out the 700!

Have a chance of a 2013 XTZ1200Z with low mileage. I know zip about these bikes other than they have an excellent following and I'm moving away from BMW.

Is the one I'm interested in a good model ( early? ) or is it a later ( some say better ) version ?

:beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom