Is my HEADLIGHT" flat beam"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spanglish

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Firstly.
Hi everyone I´m a newby.

I have a 2010 R1200GSA UK model. I live in Spain and am about to register the bike here. The only stumbling block seems to be the headlight.
Some people say its directional and will need to be replaced with a RHD model. Some say its "flat beam".
Can anyone out there clarify this for me??

Muchas Gracias.

Spanglish.

very much a lhd or rhd pattern on all the air cooled GS' I've seen

Eh, I thought they had a flat beam that didn't need correcting for left/ right hand driving :confused:

My '05 GS certainly did.

Andres

My 06 seems pretty flat, never done anything with it in the 50,000 plus miles I've ridden it on the Continent,

Definitely directional, there's a BMW technical document "Headlight conversion, tourist solution, RHD/LHD traffic", consists of sticking a piece of adhesive film on the dip beam headlamp like the good old days, to prevent the dip beam kicking up to the right or left depending which side of the road you're normally on....... You would most likely need to swap the headlamp in Spain to get it registered, blanking off the beam would only be ok for a tourist visit.

Thanks for the comments.

I have been to the test station for the ITV ( spanish MOT ) today and it was bad news!!! Although I found an adjuster for left and right as well as the up and down one it would appear that this is not enough to pass the rather strict inspection. They also didn't like the HID bulb that has been fitted as it doesn't conform with the required pattern!!!
As we say in Spain JODER...

I am now in the market for a RHD headlamp.... Anybody got one kicking around???? Worth asking I suppose....

It always amazes me how strict the Spanish test system is when the majority of Spanish registered cars driving around Andalucía wouldn't pass a UK MOT

Last July my Father-in-Laws E Class Mercedes passed an MOT in Marbella with two cracked tail lamp lenses that were both showing white light when the brakes were applied :blast

My 08 model was originally sold in France. When it was brought over to the UK it had a UK spec light assembly, instrument cluster and UK software change to make it UK spec. I might still have the euro spec light and instrument cluster in the garage.

Directional, hence the need for this.....

Attachments

• BMW HeadlightMASK.pdf
    72.1 KB · Views: 67
Hi SimonsGSA.
JUST SEEN YOUR POST.
I would be interested in both if you still have them. Let me know if you come across them and maybe we can have a deal....

I am sure they are gathering dust in the garage, i will have a look over the weekend. I think to change the instruments will require a trip to the dealers to reprogram, not even sure if a GS911 could do it.

I have the invoice from the UK dealer who changed my bike to the correct side of the road... ouch.... I seem to remember it was around the £1000 area!!!!

I found the bits in the loft,
Light assembly is part number 100461600. looks to be in good condition, includes main and dip bulbs but no side lights.
Instruments cluster in KMH is part number 684288. Appears to be in good condition apart from some minor marks above tacho which looks like maybe the GPS has rubbed against it at some time.

Let me know if they are of interest to you and we can work out a price and how to get them to you.

I will have to check regarding how easy it is to change the instrument cluster but definitely interested in the headlight. Can we communicate via WhatsApp or email? My number is 0034656896934 or email greenersoff@gmail.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom