GoreTex material.

Rugged Path

The Honourable.
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just got myself a new pair of alpinestars Jet Road V2 gloves for this winter, which has sadly seems to have disappeared. We pay a premium for this material in clothing due to ‘I believe’ it is still under patent.
For example these gloves, it has an inner and outer shell, a lining of thermal material and finally a goretex membrane.
And the overall thickness is not too much.

Has anybody ever dissected this type of clothing to see what goretex looks like or its thickness in comparison to the other layers.

Just curious .

Sent from Steve's fancy iPad using Tapatalk

I’m sure they have. Mostly other clothing manufacturers. There are many pretenders but only 1 Goretex. JJH

Goretex is white thin pliable material about as thick as say a cheap nylon wateproof jacket.

The goretex lining location will depend on whether its laminated to the outer material or an unbonded liner, which can tend to get pulled out of shape over time.

The actual Goretex membrane just looks like a piece of tent fly sheet type material.
The brand Goretex might be protected but there are many manufacturers with their own version of the same technology.

Gore tex is a ptfe membrane. It is nearly always laminated to another textile. Its too fragile to hang on its own. The whole concept of Gore is to create a super breathable lightweight waterproof membrane.

So it will always be attached to something more substantial eg a knit or woven textile.

I was just trying to paint a picture for the chap so he knows which bit he is cutting up with his scissors

It is nearly always laminated to another textile. Its too fragile to hang on its own. The whole concept of Gore is to create a super breathable lightweight waterproof membrane.

So it will always be attached to something more substantial eg a knit or woven textile.

Oh no it won't! We are still in panto season, aren't we...? :pirate

Before WL Gore started bonding their PTFE membrane to a face fabric to create Gore-Tex XCR and later Pro Shell, Gore-Tex Z liners were common in clothing. This was an unattached drop liner which hung freely, apart from being attached at neck, cuffs and hem of the garment, between the face fabric and a similarly attached lining.

This is a pic of a Hein Gericke Master Jacket. I've unzipped the back protector pocket and pulled the Gore-Tex Z liner through the open zip. You'll see that it's as I described.

Attachments

• IMG_3275.jpg
    IMG_3275.jpg
    245.2 KB · Views: 248
Interesting on goretex. I'm a frequent hillwalker, cyclist and climber. When conditions allow, I use Paramo (or Furtech). Much more breathable, and less prone to "boil in the bag" you get with goretex. Dries-out much faster too if you do get soaked through.

Steve Hughes is the most accurate answer to be fair, Gore-Tex is very thin, so they do attach the goretex material to another fabric to make sure it doesn't rip - after all, the whole point of goretex is to be waterproof first of all. This means being a super thin material it's not very strong so gets bonded to other layers of fabric to keep it's strength.

There is different ways of attaching gore-tex... Z Liner (uncommon now), Performance shell ( most common ) and Pro Shell... or other similar names which is the expensive stuff which laminates to the outer jacket making sure no water is soaked up.

Other brands do make their own like for like similar products (Dainese = D-Dry | Alpinestars = Drystar | Revit = H2OUT ) - they're essentially very similar, the main difference will be the breathability, this is because Gore-tex has more holes per square inch than the rest of them, which allows more air to come through the material, essentially making you less sweaty.

This "Furtech" seems quite interesting though, makes me wonder why they haven't broken into the Motorcycle industry... I guess because this industry knows the brand Gore-Tex so well it'd be difficult to get it out there now.

Steve Hughes is the most accurate answer to be fair, Gore-Tex is very thin, so they do attach the goretex material to another fabric to make sure it doesn't rip - after all, the whole point of goretex is to be waterproof first of all. This means being a super thin material it's not very strong so gets bonded to other layers of fabric to keep it's strength.

There is different ways of attaching gore-tex... Z Liner (uncommon now), Performance shell ( most common ) and Pro Shell... or other similar names which is the expensive stuff which laminates to the outer jacket making sure no water is soaked up.

Other brands do make their own like for like similar products (Dainese = D-Dry | Alpinestars = Drystar | Revit = H2OUT ) - they're essentially very similar, the main difference will be the breathability, this is because Gore-tex has more holes per square inch than the rest of them, which allows more air to come through the material, essentially making you less sweaty.

This "Furtech" seems quite interesting though, makes me wonder why they haven't broken into the Motorcycle industry... I guess because this industry knows the brand Gore-Tex so well it'd be difficult to get it out there now.

Paramo etc work more like dog fur, for want of a better description. It’s called Nikwax Analogy https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikwax_Analogy

Comfortable but relatively heavy clothing that actively ‘pumps’ the water outwards using body heat.

Sit in a puddle and you’ll get a wet arse but it will dry out very quickly once you become active. I’ve had wet hair, put on one of their hats and it dried out.

Would always be my first choice for a pissing down day outdoors. Not really suitable for sitting (relatively) still on a motorcycle.

Oh no it won't! We are still in panto season, aren't we...? :pirate

Before WL Gore started bonding their PTFE membrane to a face fabric to create Gore-Tex XCR and later Pro Shell, Gore-Tex Z liners were common in clothing. This was an unattached drop liner which hung freely, apart from being attached at neck,

Wrong Im afraid a Z liner is a goretex membrane bonded to a carrier , see below

https://www.held.de/264-1-Gore-Tex-apparel.html

I spent 9 years working on outdoor clothing and all this time we were a supplier to Gore , so I hope I know what Im talking about.☔☔️. The ptfe membrane can often be seen, like in your photo, but on the other side will be a fine knit or similar.

Happy to be proved wrong.

There is useful information here which explains how the choice of membrane technology affects the look and feel of the jacket as well as the design options. It appears that if you want to design a heavily patterned jacket with lots of seams, then a Z-liner construction is probably the best choice.

Back
Top Bottom