Sena SRL with Nav 6 help please

Big-G

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm used to just using my Sena (and Freecom other helmet) with my old Zumo 660 for both navigation and channelling phone calls via the nav and all worked perfectly.
I've now upgraded to a Nav 6 and although the navigation is fine I have lost virtually all volume to the phone connection via the nav. I have to turn up the volume so high that it's deafening when the navigation resumes.
Has anyone else got a similar issue or hopefully a fix.
Thanks for any advise.
G

The SRL should remember the volume you set on navigation and phone seoerately and revert to that when switched on. I had a similar problem but once I had preset the volume levels it all works very well now.

Thanks for the info but I assume that’s pairing the phone and nav to the sena separately. The garmin/ navigator also gives the option to pair only the nav and run the phone via that so as to use the nav on screen buttons to call and answer. This I’m afraid is where I am at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info but I assume that’s pairing the phone and nav to the sena separately. The garmin/ navigator also gives the option to pair only the nav and run the phone via that so as to use the nav on screen buttons to call and answer. This I’m afraid is where I am at the moment.

I use this method with nav 5. I think on the nav 5 when the phone and headset are both connected there is an additional audio volume setting. There is master volume and I think Navigation volume, playing around with these settings solved the issue for me. The navigation and phone volumes are now both virtually the same.

I guessing nav 6 must be similar.

Ian

I use this method with nav 5. I think on the nav 5 when the phone and headset are both connected there is an additional audio volume setting. There is master volume and I think Navigation volume, playing around with these settings solved the issue for me. The navigation and phone volumes are now both virtually the same.

Ian

I think this is correct. There’s a volume mixer on the Nav unit that allows you to balance the volume each application. From memory you access it using the volume button on the Nav home screen

Ian

Hi and thanks as I think I know where that is so will have a look later today. Last time I checked it out the phone mixer was greyed out but I didn't lower the nav volume either. I'll have another look.

I still have a problem with my Sens 20S and the volume - I use them with in ear moulded speakers rather than helmet speakers - and it's just too loud.

Well I’ve given in as I can’t resolve this problem. The nav 6 mixer can’t change the phone volume and reducing the nav vol makes no difference. I’m starting to think it’s an issue with my iPhone X and so will get hold of an Android to try with later. Anybody had the same?
Cheers

Does it make any difference as to which order the devices were connected to each other?
Could reset all devices and try connecting them in different orders and test as you go along - there are different profiles with different capabilities and as far as I've seen, manufacturers aren't good about saying which profile each connection uses.

Does it make any difference as to which order the devices were connected to each other?
Could reset all devices and try connecting them in different orders and test as you go along - there are different profiles with different capabilities and as far as I've seen, manufacturers aren't good about saying which profile each connection uses.

No not really as the comms unit is only connecting to the nav which has to be first as the phone connection isn't live until a comms is recognised on the nav. I will however turn my phone off while I connect the other two to see what happens.

The Sena Owners Manual gives quite specific pairing instructions, depending on what you are trying to achieve. Have you unpaired everything and started again from scratch as per the manual?

Yep done that but as I’m only connecting via the nav then it’s just the one and same connection. The issue is the vast difference of volume between the nav instruction and the low phone volume via the nav. As it happens it is the same if connection of phone is direct to sensitive too.

Well I’ve given in as I can’t resolve this problem. The nav 6 mixer can’t change the phone volume and reducing the nav vol makes no difference. I’m starting to think it’s an issue with my iPhone X and so will get hold of an Android to try with later. Anybody had the same?
Cheers

If you turn the nav volume down using the mixer, then on the sena turn the volume up for the nav. Maybe this will equalise the nav and phone volumes?

Ian

If you turn the nav volume down using the mixer, then on the sena turn the volume up for the nav. Maybe this will equalise the nav and phone volumes?

Ian

Did that and it’s better but still the phone is way lower than the nav. It’s got to be the phone.

Did that and it’s better but still the phone is way lower than the nav. It’s got to be the phone.

If you get everything connected, can you then turn up the volume on the phone to match the nav? Maybe the phone will remember this volume setting when it connects again?

Just an idea.

Ian

Cheers Ian. The phone is already on full vol and so is the mixer with the nav mixer on about 20% only. I've used both my sena on my shoei and my cardo on my GS helmet and both are the same. I have them both working via the nav only and not the TFT on my GS as I use it also on my old 80gs as well. I'm sure it worked ok on my old iphone 5 before I broke it and bought the X.

Just bought a new helmet (Schoei Neotec 2) and a Sena SRL to go with it. I have a 2018 GS with TFT, previously had a 20S Evo working great with the TFT and Nav6 after following the excellent video instructions here: https://youtu.be/LzPoILCj-aU

One question, does anyone know what difference it makes whether I pair the Nav 6 as the second phone or as a GPS? It looks like pairing it as a GPS would allow the option of also pairing the phone direct as second phone versus connecting it just via the TFT. Would that confer any benefit?

I have a shoei Neotec 2 with the sena SRL and a 1250 GSA, i have it all paired, dont have the Nav 6 paired as i dont use voice direction. I have connection to be a bit flaky, but generally it works ok, but what’s annoying is not being able to adjust the media volume through the TFT and jog wheel control. I set the volume on my phone (iPhone 6s), but whilst riding i find the coms volume fine but the music volume too low. When i stop to investigate, i find the volume control on the phone has dropped to half volume.

As theres a volume bar on the music app on the phone, when in the media section on the tft, i see no reason why it shouldn’t be possible to adjust the music volume. Unfortunately BMW in their wisdom, have only made it possible to adjust the music volume with their own coms kit :blast or does any have any ideas to make it work please?

Back
Top Bottom