USB Phone mount to Nav Mount

This is a quite interesting product, but seems way over-complicated for what it achieves.

It looks like it is designed to make contact with the pins in the original BMW/Garmin mount and pick up power that way - in which case no need for any power wiring if used with the original mount which I guess is an advantage, and it looks like it has an alternative power connection if used without the original mount. However I am not convinced that it is very good as a way to mount a phone. It looks like it has a spring loaded bracket to hold the lower edge of the phone, but seems to me that it may well hinder access to power and volume buttons, and is not necessarily totally secure as it looks like the phone tucks under a couple of overhanging brackets at the top and on the left, but is otherwise only staying put due to friction with the spring loaded lower bracket. It also does not state what range of phone sizes it can accommodate.

I think the various Quadlock options are much more secure, while giving easy access to the phone buttons, though to be fair this gadget does not require a special case with built-in or stuck on mount as the Quadlock does.

The other issue for me is that it is positioned exactly where the original Nav is mounted, whereas a phone on a Quadlock mount can be put on a RAM arm and positioned higher for better visibility which then also allows it to be tilted into a more vertical position to reduce reflections. Before changing to a phone I originally put my Nav mount on a Touratech extension bracket to mount it higher and found that very beneficial, so I suppose you could do the same with this device, but you would end up with a rather messy and bulky solution.

Yes, though you can never be sure with eBay these days, sometimes they say posted from UK, but the item still actually comes from China. I have had that happen several times, and third party sellers on Amazon are no better unless it specifically states order fulfilment by Amazon. If you go the bottom of that listing it shows the business location is China.

Back
Top Bottom