2014 Rear Brake bleed problems

The brembo rear brake is a common issue , bmw , ducati, Ktm, pumping the pedal rarely works,
its worth replacing front fluid while you are there, no fancy nipples, just pull it through one side at a time
Don't forget to run the Abs flush with your motoscan,

Im not sure that this is needed at this stage. I have motoscan ap which can do the abs pump cycle.

There must be something wrong or an air lock somewhere stopping me building pressure at the brake pedal.

Thanks

Ian

I did not read all the replays but if you have a sticky piston it will cause havoc with the bleeding. Take a caliper off one at a time and work the pistons in with your thumbs and pump out again, do it a few times and you will find any sticky pistons.

This is a known problem with the GS my 2015 GS had the problem and my new 2018 rallye TE does the same - BMW do not understand the issue but it’s real.

Surely if this is known problem with BMW it should be fixed ASAP! This is a safety issue with brakes, Im very surprised that this issue still exists from 2014 to 2018?
Before I managed to get back some brake pressure I had very little rear brake and Im sure this would not have passed an MOT.

BMW don't seem to understand anything to do with safety they ignore problems with brakes and wheel spokes etc!

Hi ian you will be surprised how non existent the ducati rear brake is in comparison,
Now you have the benefit of restoring the rear it would be beneficial to do a fluid change by flushing the fronts ,
which will feel a bit firmer and bearing in mind they are linked it may benefit the feel of the rear.
using the syringe or mitty vac method works ,as the low pressure when pumping the pedal/lever seems to allow small amounts of air past the seal as the master cylinder piston returns,

Hi ian you will be surprised how non existent the ducati rear brake is in comparison,
Now you have the benefit of restoring the rear it would be beneficial to do a fluid change by flushing the fronts ,
which will feel a bit firmer and bearing in mind they are linked it may benefit the feel of the rear.
using the syringe or mitty vac method works ,as the low pressure when pumping the pedal/lever seems to allow small amounts of air past the seal as the master cylinder piston returns,

Im planning on doing the fronts as well but I want to get a proper vacuum bleed kit as the syringe is not the easiest to use. The fronts feel very firm at the moment so I dont want to upset them by letting air in at this stage.

Ian

I have all those clever bleeding toys but find if everything in the braking system is mechanically correct then bleeding is easy and fast the traditional way.

I have all those clever bleeding toys but find if everything in the braking system is mechanically correct then bleeding is easy and fast the traditional way.

But not easy on your own, requires someone to operate level or pedal!

But not easy on your own, requires someone to operate level or pedal!

On my own with a bit of stretching but better if my Mary is around she has done it hundreds of times over the years and knows the routine.
Not being clever, we have a few motorcycles + all the other vehicles and I service all the brakes once a year.
Just make sure all those pistons are moving in and out randomly there are 6 in the front an 2 in the back so easy to miss a slow one.
If you have to take off a caliper to work on a bench it is no big deal.
Front calipers are a bitch, once you pop out one of the pistons you cannot pump out the other 5.
The best is just pop out the lazy one and its seals, carefully clean and inspect. If no damage anywhere reassemble.
It is a doddle.
I cheated on my 2016 RT and bought some ridiculously cheap 2018 GSA calipers on Ebay from a big Italian breaker complete with BMW nearly new pads and hoses. €220 delivered. I put them straight on breaking the old hose at the ABS pump, a quick bleed and spot on.
I also popped out one of the rear pistons on bike. found some marks on the piston so I took a piston and seals out of a low mileage 06 caliper I had it was exactly the same. Again just a few pumps to bleed. The brakes are spot on.
Your bike may have different issues but its all info.

Back
Top Bottom