Bridgestone A41s

Morety

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Will be fitting a new set of these to my 2016 GSA to replace my pretty knackered Michelin PR4s on Monday. The PR4s have worn very oddly, covered about 3.5K miles and are downright dangerous now as the fronts have squared off asymmetrically and the rears have also badly squared off. The previous owner may have used them mainly for commuting or motorway work perhaps? I've done mainly twisty A an B road riding and only added 500 or 600 miles to these since I bought the bike in October last year but those tyres are now death traps. I wouldn't touch another Michelin PR4 with a bargepole. Even upright, they squirm about on damp surfaces and I have zero faith in them.

Will report back on the A41s with first impressions, once scrubbed in and then every 1K miles after that. Hoping they'll last for a Spanish tour later in the year.

These were recommended by Chris Mullin (fellow GSer and owner of Chris Mullin Tyres, Gloucester). He seems to really rate these.

I was after Meztler Roatec 01s but the £300/pair asking price was a bit rich compared with the A41s at £240 (ride in - ride out incl vat....so really not bad at all, especially since I was paying the same for Triumph Trident tyres 22 years ago!

I wonder if anyone here has had a chance to put up some decent miles on the A41 as it'd be interesting to see some feedback from those that have?

I'd check your ball joints.

My 1100r wore it's front tyres funny, and that was the issue.

Pr4T is a good tyre, and after playing about with avon trailrider pressures got them working the way I want.

Tyres are a personal and very subjective thing, and it is unlikely that many of you do back to back testing in a controlled environment. That's assuming that your suspension isn't worn or not set up correctly.

If, however you have no confidence in them, then use something else.

My k13r had Bridgestone s20 fitted, yet I had little feedback or feel, and I was unwilling to push them, a pair of Michelin Pilot RS ordered. Upon talk with nice man in California (Dave Moss), advise go up 3psi as Bridgestone carcass is softer.

Lo it came to pass, grip/feel/feedback restored and I can ride the bike as I want rather than how I was having too.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Suspension is all fine;Suspension & linkages were checked over by BMW when I bought the bike and declared healthy. Pressures are to book spec (now at least after trying different pressures); it doesn't take controlled riding conditions to know that these are fooked (long before wear indicator) :D

With many thousands, perhaps as much as 200K miles on big bikes over 30 odd years, these are the worst I've come across wrt to handling. I've played about with pressures...no difference...only made things worse if going a little softer, and a tad more stable if a little over. They may be fine when new, but I wonder what others think after say 3 or 4K miles on their PR4s?

They're not for me at any rate and I doubt that anyone would ride them like this and not have complaint. I preferred the Anikee 2's fitted to my Explorer which I had before this.

Like I said...I'll report back once A41s fitted.

Imho I would never keep a set of tyres on a bike that the previous owner had done 3k on them, and as you say he could have just been bombing it down the motorway, and loaded, PR4,s are normally a decent tyre.

Yes, normally I wouldn't but as we were coming into winter, and I'd only put 500 or 600 odd miles up (dry), the intention was always to swap them out after winter. They probably have 1K miles left in the tread, maybe more, but there's no way I'm chancing them.

A41's fitted this morning after which I took the bike for a tyre-scrubbing in ride of an hour or so. Totally regained my confidence in the bike's handling. After a first, gingerly taken 15 miles, I upped the pace a little and took some B road options before heading back on A roads. First impressions so far: Good grip even from the first few miles. Less noisy by some margin than the PR4s and less noisy than the Anikee 2's previously used on my Explorer. Low speed stability and handling superb making easy work of dexterous filtering in heavy traffic. Higher speed stability also excellent. I'll add a few more comments once I've added another 450 to 500 miles. So far, very impressed and simply don't understand some of the comments posted about these tyres being "noisy" as they've proved very quiet and smooth on the GSA! If these last the distance and wear reasonably evenly, I'll be happy, especially at the price. All reviews so far have praised front wheel feedback and grip, even in the wet, and I've no reason to doubt that.

Back
Top Bottom