1150GS smoke when cold

Bikermike1411

Reaction score
Hi everyone (and a belated happy new year!)

I bought my current GS at the end of last summer, and didn’t get much time riding it before mothballing the old girl for the winter.

Before I put her to bed I had noticed white smoke when starting from cold, which cleared once the temp hit three bars. As it wasn’t blue I didn’t pay it much attention. However, upon waking her today I noticed the smoking hasn’t magically gone away.

Is this something I should worry about?

There is a lot of moisture on the end can outlet, and moisture dripping from near the cat (I think it’s actually coming from the silencer link pipe union where it joins the cat) so I’m hoping it’s just condensation burning off. My last GS didn’t have a cat so I don’t know if this is normal or not.

I didn’t ride it enough to notice if it was burning oil at all, but I’ll keep an eye on that too.

Any advice appreciated!
Cheers
Mike
ce0d90d4088ef69e8f95067b094dde80.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could be,
1. Left overnight on sidestand and oil seeped past the rings.
2. Engine oil overfilled and some blown back through the air filter.
3. Running rich, check cables and/or throttle bodies.
4. Clean air filter.

There are other reasons such as the Cat plug in the fuse box or some other electronic cause.

Sent from Steve's fancy iPad using Tapatalk

They all do that........even my car........

It’s just water vapour.
Exactly what I was going to say (tho I haven't got a car. Lol).

If it doesn't clear as it warms up, then there'd be a problem.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

No, it’s completely fucked. I’ll give you £400 for it.:green gri

My old bike would do that if left on the side stand. Never when on center stand. Just a bit of oil getting past the rings on my yoke.

Back
Top Bottom