More knocking

Jiffy176

Reaction score
Hi folks.

My 2001 1150 with 40k on the clock has developed the same ticking as in the attached video.

It is only audiable upon cold start up and starts about 20-30 seconds after the engine is fired up and is noticeable when on fast idle although does also present on tickover if the fast idle is switched off when the engine is still cold. Once the motor is warm it's gone.
The LH cam chain tensioner and throttle bodies have all been done.
The motor runs fine and fills hard with no unusual noises once warm.
Any ideas please it's running 20w50

https://youtu.be/OwPIRuhu3RM

Cheers.

That clacking sound..........

My bike does it as well, has done since as far back as I can remember. Do I bother about it? No! I start the bike and ride it. These engines are agricultural, and if you wonder around with a stethoscope looking for noises, you will find loads.

I do have the old style cam push rods fitted, which could be the cause, one day I will get around to examining them for loose ends, but that’s for another day.

Sorry if I couldn’t be more helpful.

That's it Ian.
That's not me in the video but using it saves me having to get the bike out and video it. Especially as I spent all morning giving it a deep clean.
A couple of things that I thought it maybe the cam but most say that only present when hot or central cam chain tensioner.
I've got used to living with the various interesting noises the GS makes if it's normal then more than happy to live with it.
Cheers.

That's it Ian.
That's not me in the video but using it saves me having to get the bike out and video it. Especially as I spent all morning giving it a deep clean.
A couple of things that I thought it maybe the cam but most say that only present when hot or central cam chain tensioner.
I've got used to living with the various interesting noises the GS makes if it's normal then more than happy to live with it.
Cheers.

Chris Harris covered the subject years ago. This Video explains what could be wrong.

https://youtu.be/pRXeaequvzk

These are the old style top and new style bottom. I was surprised when I checked my 2003 twin spark to have the old style still fitted. I guess they were running down the old stocks before fitting the new style.

Attachments

• 8A77A14A-14CF-4E11-8ED9-FAC501D19902.jpeg
    8A77A14A-14CF-4E11-8ED9-FAC501D19902.jpeg
    83.7 KB · Views: 435
Push rods...

But Ian got in there first. Not so difficult a job but hardly urgent. Saying that, it would be nice and quiet ish afterwards!

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

I think that sums up my thinking then, will just get on with it, I'm considering selling it so wanted to check it out before I make a decision. Thanks folks.

Anybody know if it's possible that my 05 has the old style pushrods fitted?

Anybody know if it's possible that my 05 has the old style pushrods fitted?

Probably, My 2003 twin spark has the old style fitted, which surprised me, but if you look at the manufacturing history of the valve pushrods, the new style (current replacement) was available from Jan 2004, so you may be lucky. I guess the only way of knowing is to physicaly check.

Attachments

• CACA69AC-2BCA-48B8-8F9D-1266C9D0F7EA.jpeg
    CACA69AC-2BCA-48B8-8F9D-1266C9D0F7EA.jpeg
    171.6 KB · Views: 300
Thanks Ian, you're a fount of useful knowledge as always!
I suspect I have the old style pushrods as I have slight clacking sound which appears a few seconds after a cold start and then disappears a couple of minutes later. It sounds exactly the same as the various YouTube clips. The engine is generally as sweet as a nut. I won't worry about it but will have a look when the opportunity arises, probably when I next check the valves.

Back
Top Bottom