OMG service Price@bmw

A servo one isn't..... in fact it is a bloody liability and fails dangerous. I have had 2 fail on me now. When they go, they go without any warning whatsoever. You can be trundling on safe in the knowledge that your system has been fully serviced to the day, the motor whirrs reassuringly and the bike hauls up in short order, even fully laden. Then the next time you pull the brake lever... THERE IS NOTHING, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING, it isn't even poor braking, it goes from working perfectly to ABSOLUTELY NO BRAKES WHATSOEVER in one pull of the lever..... tell me what is safer about that.

Picture this - brand new to me 1150 adventure, tootling along the lanes in the south of france, braking into a corner in beautiful sunshine on gorgeous roads... NOTHING. Pulled the brake then NOWT, absolutely nothing. Shat my pants. Narbonne BMW wanted to keep the bike and fly me home to fly back the week or so after to ride it back home. Nice touch but no ta. So I rode it all the way back from the Med to St Malo without touching the brakes. I really did. :friday

And picture this.
Around 13yrs ago at the BMW factory I asked why they weren't now offering the 1150 GSA with a decent abs but no servo.

I was told their market research didn't warrant it. What a load of bollox.

First job I've done on my last two 1150 SEs was to remove the servos.

Can you remove the servo but retrain the ABS?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

NO, but remove it anyway...before soemthing dreadfull befalls you - my first failure was hooing down a mountain road in Wales........ I did live to tell the tale, but once I reached the bottom and had hauled the bike up, a jibbering wreck of a man phoned for recovery. I wasn't going another yard.

GET RID OF THE SERVO AND ABS - As others have said I would STRONGLY advise you get rid of the SERVO/ABS , particulalrly given the age of the bike. There is no telling if or when the servo will go, and servicing seems to make little difference....some have gone in under 10K miles...some have soldiered on for years. Removing the servo and ABS still leaves you with effective breaking and arguably much more feel.

My servo failed coming down the M4 off ramp J19 some years ago....admittedly I was coming down quiet fast, slammed on the anchors and zero brakes. Fortunately is was early morning and light traffic a combination of engine braking and fluke meant I was able to judge a gap and go straight across the roundabout.....just!! The two cars waiting to enter the roundabout were no doubt a little surprised to see a bike flash between then with a brown streak following it! If the outside lane car had decided to go for a gap and go left to Bristol it would not have ended well...as the breakdown recovery guy said...I should have done the Pools that night with that luck.

I didn't ride the bike again until the servo was removed. BMW offered to replace as the bike was under a years warranty as a second hand purchase....I very politely told them what to do with that suggestion. BMW refused to sanction removal but the dealer bless them did the job gratis. How this issue did not become a recall I will never know.

As others have said, see mikeyboy, he will give you very good advice and will do a bang up job.

Well I’ve serviced/bled the entire servo system using the guide posted. Bottle of fluid £10 & a couple of hours but taking my time. Few what a relief thanks everyone

Well I’ve serviced/bled the entire servo system using the guide posted. Bottle of fluid £10 & a couple of hours but taking my time. Few what a relief thanks everyone

I pray for your sake that the servo doesn't give up on you while you are enjoying your ride in the twisties, or heavy traffic..... 15 years of experience on here and dozens of sorry tales of woe regarding those servos over the years..... GOOD LUCK, I mean it.

Back
Top Bottom