Considering a Ducati MTS 1000DS..

Hallstar

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have recently had to sell my R1200GS LC to help fund a car. I am now looking for a bike to ride me over until I can afford another GS and am strongly considering a Ducati Multistrada 1000DS.

I have found a 2006my in Black with 20k on clock. Part Ducati SH. Ohlins shock and Termignoni exhausts.

I know it’s not a GS, but my bike before GS was a KTM 990 SMT and the MTS 1000DS seems to be of similar ilk.

Does anyone have any real world experience with this bike?

Any thing to look out for or consider?

TIA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought a 2008 MTS1100 last summer for three and a half grand. Mint condtion with low miles and full service history. Very different to a GS, certainly a lot lighter than many bikes I've owned. It handles well although it's not as quick as I expected it to be, but certainly fast enough for me. Fuel consumption is high 40's to the gallon, occasionally 50ish if I'm gentle with it.
I've just completed a service and found it fairly easy to work on, although I checked the valve clearances I didn't need to adjust them (thank god, as that looks a right faff to do. It's annoying having to remove the seat/tank unit to change the air filter)
I believe the earlier 1000cc model had problems with valve recession, and I don't like the noise of the dry clutch (1100 is wet and quiet) also I think there were some fuel gauge problems on earlier models. Factory workshop manual and parts book available on line.
PM me if I can be of further assistance. Al.

Attachments

• DSC_0002_10 (1).jpg
    DSC_0002_10 (1).jpg
    274.2 KB · Views: 616
I bought a 2008 MTS1100 last summer for three and a half grand. Mint condtion with low miles and full service history. Very different to a GS, certainly a lot lighter than many bikes I've owned. It handles well although it's not as quick as I expected it to be, but certainly fast enough for me. Fuel consumption is high 40's to the gallon, occasionally 50ish if I'm gentle with it.
I've just completed a service and found it fairly easy to work on, although I checked the valve clearances I didn't need to adjust them (thank god, as that looks a right faff to do. It's annoying having to remove the seat/tank unit to change the air filter)
I believe the earlier 1000cc model had problems with valve recession, and I don't like the noise of the dry clutch (1100 is wet and quiet) also I think there were some fuel gauge problems on earlier models. Factory workshop manual and parts book available on line.
PM me if I can be of further assistance. Al.

That’s a nice looking bike. Thanks for the info. I may look into an 1100 then, but my budget is tight and may not allow for one

I had a 2010 1100, which I absolutely loved. One of the bikes I really regret selling.

Why not look for another 990 SMT? Cracking good bikes and less trouble than the Dukes ( spoken WITH experience of both). Cheaper used (by now) too.

Why not look for another 990 SMT? Cracking good bikes and less trouble than the Dukes ( spoken WITH experience of both). Cheaper used (by now) too.

I did like my SMT and in a lot of ways I regret selling it. But, I’ve had one.. and unfortunately, they still hold their money!

I haven't owned one but someone I know did and loved it, regular maintenance and belt changes is all it needed.
They're all old now though which is fine but like all old things you will become familiar with the workshop manual and opening your wallet.

Hi all,

I have recently had to sell my R1200GS LC to help fund a car. I am now looking for a bike to ride me over until I can afford another GS and am strongly considering a Ducati Multistrada 1000DS.

I have found a 2006my in Black with 20k on clock. Part Ducati SH. Ohlins shock and Termignoni exhausts.

I know it’s not a GS, but my bike before GS was a KTM 990 SMT and the MTS 1000DS seems to be of similar ilk.

Does anyone have any real world experience with this bike?

Any thing to look out for or consider?

TIA

Yes I owned two over a four year period. Started with the standard one in red then swapped that for a beautiful new SDS in black with all the extras (Termi, Ohlins, carbon wheels etc.). I'll try and dig out some pics tonight.

My real world experience in brief was: the ugliest bikes I ever owned (from the front anyway) but an absolute hoot to ride especially down twisty B-roads. They are a perfect blend of power, weight and handling and probably one of the best bikes I've had the pleasure of owning. Nothing went wrong on either of the ones I had and the only reason I got rid was I got divorced and had to sell it! :blast

If you find a nice one just buy it :thumb2

Mate has an SMT, it’s at least as much trouble as my Mutley was. SMT fuelling was atrocious.

Mate has an SMT, it’s at least as much trouble as my Mutley was. SMT fuelling was atrocious.

I had an SMT. Needed a lot of work to get fuelling sort- IGT airbox. RC8 throttle cam. Sprocket change. Dump/remap (BSD Performance, Peterborough)

It was very nearly as smooth as my Z1000SX (IL4) and as good as it was ever going to get!

Back
Top Bottom