Question about Hilltop

shaunandco

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi
I'm contemplating having a trip down south to Hilltop to let them have a play with mine but was just wondering if anyone that has had it done to a bike of a similar age to mine (56 plate) could answer me a quick question first.
When cruising at fast motorway speeds (abroad obviously!) at about 85+ the bike tends towards having a bit of vibration from the engine. Does having it remapped help reduce this? I know that it's never going to be the smoothest engine but just wondering if it will help (and I'm talking myself into having a trip down!).
Thanks

My gsa had decat headers and akra without baffle, don't bother with k&n, standard filter is fine and brisk plugs.

Hilltop made it smoother, could pull a gear higher, had better pickup too. Although you may make more power, and even use less fuel.

Outright power isn't the be all, flexibility is.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

My gsa had decat headers and akra without baffle, don't bother with k&n, standard filter is fine and brisk plugs.

Hilltop made it smoother, could pull a gear higher, had better pickup too. Although you may make more power, and even use less fuel.

Outright power isn't the be all, flexibility is.

Ive also got decat headers and a remus that seems to have lost its baffle! I'm far more interested in smoothing the engine a bit than I am in outright top end (although Id never say no to a bit more) and a bit more torque wouldn't go amiss.

It is amazing how all these expensive baffles fall out.

Two up, with givi 58L top box, and trundling up A1 at 50 (roadworks) in 6th, I was getting 76mpg. Shows the extra flexibility, before it would have been 5th !

The 4k hole certainly wasn't really there any more, which is more what you want than an extra 2bhp at 7000rpm.

Although you maybe surprised how high up peak torque/power is, compared to where you usually change gear.

All, I can say, from getting some bikes done, is that hilltop made them nicer to ride.

I replaced the standard headers as I found my defat keenan's introduced more vibration and less low down torque.....also allot noisier which is great on a blast...not so great on a long slog down to Spain! The Hilltop remap will make the bike smother and much more rideable just off throttle. Having said that, I now have a TC where I did not go the remap route but went with AF XIED units with much the same results, much the same cost BUT you can transfer them to a new bike or see them so not a sunk cost.

As others have said, either will transform the bike by basically making it a richer mixture.

most of the issues can be sorted with a power commander.... my engine is rough as hell at 4400 to 4800 rpm nothing at all to do with fuelling, you can use a power commander to lessen its impact and allow the bike to make decent smooth power from 1800 rpm (when the factory map only worked after 3250) but the later map available from BMW mid 2008 is a joke

check this http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/499886-BMW-HP2-engine-map-part-number

The PCV and Autotune is best part of £400 (eBay). If you ignore the Autotune it will only work on open loop. Also, Autotune has only one O2 sensor. The bike has two.

Unless you get the PC and Autotune very cheap, the remap is the better option.

Back
Top Bottom