BMW f800gs EWS Fault with low beam light on .HELP

ken bamforth

Reaction score
I have a problem I'm trying to solve .
I went to start bike after a stint of not using it and turn key on no start.

SYMTHOMS
-EWS on dash,
-No neutral
-No gear neutral indicated on dash.
-No fuel pump sound
-Low beam' is on which is not normal .

I have put battery on charge since and back on bike (no luck).
I did alot of reading online so decided to replace ring antenna (no luck)
Thought have i brought a dud ring antenna so plugged it into my r1200gs started up. So tested old antenna on r1200gs started up.
Took battery out of r1200gs put in f800gs (no Luck).

Went to dealer he said change battery it has a reading of 12.60 volts (f800gs) which he said is low should be 12.80 volts the (r1200gs) has 12.50 volt and starts it fine.
I tested all my other vehicles batterys and ranged from 12.40volts to 12.75 volts all start fine.
Is 12.60 volts stuffed??? I looked at date on battery 10 yrs old its the original battery Is this the problem?.
So I put (f800gs) battery in r1200gs started bike better and stronger than is own battery.
I put battery on charge again and took to auto electrician to load test battery he tested it standing voltage 12.90 volts and passed load test without a hint of trouble he said this battery is 10yrs old but healthy not my problem.
I have read online wires chaffing and breaking in lome ( I have not gone this far yet).

Also read the computer not booting up properly after battery been removed and you are to turn key off and on two times to sort this (no luck).
I have also read people having had to replace the engine control unit under the seat BMS-K $1500- $2000nz ouch ?
I have also talked to a BMW expert not dealer ( dealership trained) he is currently working on another f800gs with similar problem (but no low beam on ) and he is going through the loom looking for a break and will take a look at mine if I have no luck once he can work out his current one

Also note as part of my routine I store my bikes un ridden for months on end so will disconnect battery from bike and trickle charge to maintain battery health every 3 months bikes are only disconnected for the night when doing this.

I really would appreciate if you have experienced the above symptoms especially the low beam on I would like to here from you .
cheers ken
Does anybody have any insight or experience with this I would appreciate some help.
thanks

Morning Ken,
I have just gone through a similar exercise. Firstly the bike was randomly cutting out especially while changing down for a corner. Clutch in and restart - a good reflex test. Then the bike just wouldn't start and very similar to your observations. Ended up with new ignition + keys, ring, and ecu !!!!!! $$$$$$$. Had a couple of great long weekends down Gisborne way and thought all was sorted.

Not quite.

Whilst doing a weekend run up to the Bay of Islands the dreaded stall has started again. Doesn't happen often, but enough to piss me off. So its back to the drawing board as no faults are being recorded. It is a real bugger. Would like to upgrade but can't flog the bike until its sorted. Think I have found my winter project, though for someone as mechanically inept as myself will involve a lot of googling I suspect.

So its - same shit, different day, lighter wallet. Bugger

a GS911 would allow to view live data as in how steps the ECU is caling the stepper moor to open

If the ECU sees a hot or cold engine Air temps and the lamda probe

if all if them are good then its likely an ECU problem

Did Either of you try to start the bikes with Flat or very low battery????

Kia Ora Dr Off

Yep. That was my first diagnosis. Replaced with gel and reset throttle etc. Thought problem was solved - well for about the first 50km's. This stalling / cutting out is very random. Then started working my way through replacing sensors from lamda, air filter, idle control actuator, fuel pressure sensor, and the list went on. Eventually culminating in a new ignition, ring, and ECU. Not an easy task down here as nothing is kept in stock, and everything has to be ordered from Europe !!!! Had about 1000km's, two trips worth, of riding before the original problem resurfaced.

A shame. I really enjoy riding this bike as it is the perfect size for NZ roads and distances. So presently it has been left in the corner of the garage until winter arrives again when I can spend more time dissecting. Also don't have one of those 911 things and the local agents (no motorad down here) have very limited knowledge apart from typing out invoices. Looks like Haynes and I are going to be friends this winter.

Cheers

Firstly, welcome to the Forum.

Have you checked the ign switch out, or it's attendant wiring?

We have several EWS fault threads for you to run through so, if you haven't looked already, check the ideas out in 'the Bikes' 800 twins section for details.

Yep. That was my first diagnosis.
Sorry it was a question NOT a diagnosis, Did you try to start it with a very flat battery and it was very slow to turn over??

There's a chance with the current surge you damaged the ECU

I have a couple of R1200GS that happened to

Also you need a GS911 or even as simple a thing called a Gammotronix voltage monitor off E bay Example here https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6v-12v-24v-LED-Battery-level-voltage-monitor-meter-J/200627678428

If you go over volts the ECU can trip out to protect itself

The GS911 will allow you to view live data and check stored faults

Hi Kiwi 66
Your problem seems different to mine I never had cutting out
just running great then no start head light low beam on and no gear/neutral EWS on dash.
Took bike to experience bmw on saturday they put it on the tech gear and they could not access ECU it was just dead . New ECU to be fitted $1600 That's where I'm at.
I have put ECU on hold and took out the ecu to give to a very tech friend who repairs and makes circuit boards and we have opened it up theres no sign of any burn out damage so Im not sure if it can be fixed or not he said the parts in there are,nt that expensive and easy to get $3 each but its hard to test without a wiring diagram
So not sure where I should go as I will be pissed if a new ECU doesn't fix it

Hi Kiwi 66
Your problem seems different to mine I never had cutting out
just running great then no start head light low beam on and no gear/neutral EWS on dash.
Took bike to experience bmw on saturday they put it on the tech gear and they could not access ECU it was just dead . New ECU to be fitted $1600 That's where I'm at.
I have put ECU on hold and took out the ecu to give to a very tech friend who repairs and makes circuit boards and we have opened it up theres no sign of any burn out damage so Im not sure if it can be fixed or not he said the parts in there are,nt that expensive and easy to get $3 each but its hard to test without a wiring diagram
So not sure where I should go as I will be pissed if a new ECU doesn't fix it

Hi ken
Given your situation I think you should try swapping parts - surely there must be another 800 that you know of within a few miles, even if you don`t actually know the rider? A new friend would be of great help as you could try your parts of theirs (Notice I have no gender preconception there!!) and equally try theirs on yours.
Even if you have to go knocking on a few doors it surely cheaper that buying random parts that might be faulty?

And, getting a GS9-11 between you, even if you have to post it to each other, will be of great help in tracking down such a fluid problem, a longer term asset that you could always sell on.

Hi ken
Given your situation I think you should try swapping parts - surely there must be another 800 that you know of within a few miles, even if you don`t actually know the rider? A new friend would be of great help as you could try your parts of theirs (Notice I have no gender preconception there!!) and equally try theirs on yours.
Even if you have to go knocking on a few doors it surely cheaper that buying random parts that might be faulty?

And, getting a GS9-11 between you, even if you have to post it to each other, will be of great help in tracking down such a fluid problem, a longer term asset that you could always sell on.

Hi
Do you think you could put another persons ECU and key for there bike to mine and it would work I thought you need them set up at the BMW dealer aswell its a good thought if it could be done but Im not sure it can as dealer said a new ECU will be programed to my bike in germany then shipped to nz . I would be interesting to know if this could be done , any thoughts out there if it has been done before????
As to the 911gs it would nt help my problem as The BMW dealer is unable to get any faults or readings as ECU is dead.
I,m currently waiting on having the old ECU looked at to see if it can be fixed ? if not a new one will be ordered and hopefully back on the road???? !!!!!!
Thanks for your in put

Check your wiring loom VERY Carefully

But an ECU with the same part number can swap in wrap the top of your key in a few layers of baking foil and hold the donor ECU bikes Key just beside your covered one Turn your key on and it should start like that

Back
Top Bottom