ULEZ how not to pay BMW £120 for the certificate and get it free

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waxyharris

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
This can help R1150GS owners with twin spark models, or the owner of any vehicle that meets emission standards but needs to prove it to TFL. I was asked for a 'certificate of conformity' by TFL. BMW are charging £120 to send you one. The method described below works and today I had official TFL recognition that my bike will not be subject to the charge.
It costs nothing to obtain this, and is legal. Please pass on to others. Here's how:

I wrote to BWM at
eccoc@bmw.co.uk saying I wanted a certificate of conformity relating to the London ULEZ zone and provided my name and bike reg.
I got a generic reply saying they would get back to me.
Two days later they sent a mail requesting a scanned copy of my V5 which I sent.
Four days after that I got an email from BMW containing two pdf files.
One pdf was a request from for BMW to send me a printable version and include a£120 fee and proof or ownership etc.
The other pdf file was called ‘CARDO-prod-MOT.Manuelles...’
If you open this one you will have a four page pdf document with ‘Duplikat’ stamped over it like a watermark.
As pdf files are often difficult if not impossible to print without subscriptions or special apps, the trick is to take a screen shot on your computer of pages 1 and 2 (page 1 has your VIN number, page 2 the exhaust emissions info’ TFL need to see).
Then crop your screen shots to make them appear as if they are scans/printable versions.
I relabelled them as ‘Certificate of conformity- parts 1 and 2’ and sent them to TFL (following the correspondence with them I had started saying I believed my bike was not subject to the charge etc).
A week later (today) I got an email from TFL saying ‘...based on the information that you have provided we can confirm that your bike meets the ULEZ emissions standards...the vehicle compliance database will be updated to reflect the correct details of your vehicle before the scheme commences’
So I’ve saved myself and hopefully others £120. I hope this works out for others.Let me know how you get on, or if you have any questions. And please pass it on.

That sounds great! Well done. I'm still waiting for someone to admit and wake up to the fact the road humps alone increase road side pollution by 10-20% on their own!!! And you need a 4x4 just to negotiate our neighbourhoods - or a GS Adventure

Anyway, I wanted to say I'm puzzled by your comments regarding printing PDF files. You just need Adobe Acrobat (free) to open the files, from there you print as normal?

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

I think you are correct, I have a problem with my computer which doesn't mean others will have. Every time I try to print off the pages mentioned directly it just takes me to a blank page. A friend has this problem also. Perhaps we are both just unlucky and hopefully it will work for others who can just print pages 1 and 2 from the pdf.

I think you are correct, I have a problem with my computer which doesn't mean others will have. Every time I try to print off the pages mentioned directly it just takes me to a blank page. A friend has this problem also. Perhaps we are both just unlucky and hopefully it will work for others who can just print pages 1 and 2 from the pdf.
Ah! This may be because the file is protected from printing. So nothing to do with you.

An alternative might be to 'print to file' (this is an option you'll need to look for in the print dialogue box that appears when print is selected) so it exports another pdf file. But without the protection

This is more for others. Sounds like you've sorted it!

This can help R1150GS owners with twin spark models, or the owner of any vehicle that meets emission standards but needs to prove it to TFL. I was asked for a 'certificate of conformity' by TFL. BMW are charging £120 to send you one. The method described below works and today I had official TFL recognition that my bike will not be subject to the charge.
It costs nothing to obtain this, and is legal. Please pass on to others. Here's how:

I wrote to BWM at
eccoc@bmw.co.uk saying I wanted a certificate of conformity relating to the London ULEZ zone and provided my name and bike reg.
I got a generic reply saying they would get back to me.
Two days later they sent a mail requesting a scanned copy of my V5 which I sent.
Four days after that I got an email from BMW containing two pdf files.
One pdf was a request from for BMW to send me a printable version and include a£120 fee and proof or ownership etc.
The other pdf file was called ‘CARDO-prod-MOT.Manuelles...’
If you open this one you will have a four page pdf document with ‘Duplikat’ stamped over it like a watermark.
As pdf files are often difficult if not impossible to print without subscriptions or special apps, the trick is to take a screen shot on your computer of pages 1 and 2 (page 1 has your VIN number, page 2 the exhaust emissions info’ TFL need to see).
Then crop your screen shots to make them appear as if they are scans/printable versions.
I relabelled them as ‘Certificate of conformity- parts 1 and 2’ and sent them to TFL (following the correspondence with them I had started saying I believed my bike was not subject to the charge etc).
A week later (today) I got an email from TFL saying ‘...based on the information that you have provided we can confirm that your bike meets the ULEZ emissions standards...the vehicle compliance database will be updated to reflect the correct details of your vehicle before the scheme commences’
So I’ve saved myself and hopefully others £120. I hope this works out for others.Let me know how you get on, or if you have any questions. And please pass it on.
i have the same reply from Bmw as you are saying. I'm no pc King and can't seem to,get me thick skull around this,
I was going to email Tfl with the PDFs I was sent? So favour time if I send my PDFs could you do your magic please kind Sir?

i have the same reply from Bmw as you are saying. I'm no pc King and can't seem to,get me thick skull around this,
I was going to email Tfl with the PDFs I was sent? So favour time if I send my PDFs could you do your magic please kind Sir?
If you send me a pm. I'll gladly break up each page into a separate file for you

Than you for the tip, just emailed BMW too... got the generic reply saying:
We are currently receiving a large number of requests and therefore you may experience a delay in receiving a response, we thank you for your patience and will get back to you as soon as possible.
so fingers crossed, will keep you posted!
Cheers!

If theTFL database has been updated to include that year / model of bike then all susbsequent claims by owners shouldnt require the proof and you will / should have done everybody’s work for them and no further proof should be required :nenau

If theTFL database has been updated to include that year / model of bike then all susbsequent claims by owners shouldnt require the proof and you will / should have done everybody’s work for them and no further proof should be required :nenau
That would be to easy for them.

Of course, if you made the request under gdpr 2016, then there is no charge, they are now processing or storing, just make sure you ask for any and all info.

I need copies of my O grades and Highers, Degree's etc, SQA wanted to charge me for the privilege, after bring gdpr to their attention they dropped the idea.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

How is this not making fraudulent instruments?

What is fraudulent ?

I would have thought a Certificate of Conformity would be issued by an official body/ competent authority. By making your own and presenting it as ‘official’ I assume making an official document.

I have no issue with doing it as TFL should fix their polluting buses before changes the rules and charges.

The certificate you mention was issued by an 'official body' - BMW, the manufacturers of the vehicle. I did not 'make my own' as you say. I did not 'present it as official' What I did was to send TFL what BMW sent me. TFL accepted it, officially.
What I've said is possible is to bypass the fee of £120 BMW want for a 'printable version' by sending what BMW sent to me in pdf form. You don't have to be 'fraudulent' if thats how you view it and are welcome to send BMW £120.
As you see the method I've outlined as 'fraudulent', and having 'no issue with doing it' seemingly as revenge for TFL's 'polluting buses' you are risking a flogging on the steps of the club Sir, as a fraud nonetheless!

Wish BMW would answer my email!
Have asked TFL why if one bike has been approved to a certain type then so they require it for each and every one of the same bike. May put an FOI in and see which Boxer twins have been submitted pre 2007.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom