Nav 5 vs Nav 6

wheelnut

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just in the process of swapping my 1200 GSA TB for a 1250GSA TE.

Is there any advantage to swapping my current Nav 5 for a 6 in terms of extra functionality in terms of how it connects to the TFT screen?

Being able to read it in full sun is an advantage...

Just in the process of swapping my 1200 GSA TB for a 1250GSA TE.

Is there any advantage to swapping my current Nav 5 for a 6 in terms of extra functionality in terms of how it connects to the TFT screen?

The NAV6 doesn't actually connect to the TFT . It connects to the bike (much as I wood think your NAV 5 does) and shows details on the NAV6 --speed\tyre pressures\mileage\trip1\11\ etc. etc..
If you are happy with your NAV 5 on your 1200 as far as I'm aware you'll get the same things when its attached to the 1250.

So, only thing you'll gain by changing to a NAV 6 will be the standard differences between 5 & 6 and nothing to do with the TFT.

The NAV6 doesn't actually connect to the TFT . It connects to the bike (much as I wood think your NAV 5 does) and shows details on the NAV6 --speed\tyre pressures\mileage\trip1\11\ etc. etc..
If you are happy with your NAV 5 on your 1200 as far as I'm aware you'll get the same things when its attached to the 1250.

So, only thing you'll gain by changing to a NAV 6 will be the standard differences between 5 & 6 and nothing to do with the TFT.

Ta. I’ll stick with the 5.

Unless I’m using it for routes I have the Nav showing speed, range and tyre pressures.

Stick with your nav5, the 6 is not really worth the extra dosh, and in my case my mobile is much quieter to hear with the 6 than the 5

Nav six over the nav 5. The Nav 6 has a Garmin camera screen for control. And has been said, a different screen. I cant say better, as my Nav 5 is fine?
Rumour says there will be a Nav 7, although this will be Garmin and not BMW branded.

Not a boat load of difference.
But if you can sell your Nav 5 for £325 if it’s mint and boxed.

Then find a mint Nav 6 for around £400.
I think it’s worth the price to change.

Spoke last year to a dealer as they used to sell off the sat navs from their hire fleet at the end of the year, said that they were keeping the nav 5's for next season and that they would not be replacing them in the forseeable future with nav 6's.

They recommended if i was thinking of buying a new unit buy a Nav 5

Spoke last year to a dealer as they used to sell off the sat navs from their hire fleet at the end of the year, said that they were keeping the nav 5's for next season and that they would not be replacing them in the forseeable future with nav 6's.

Possibly because they didn't want to spend the cash. I replaced my V with a VI and its a good bit of kit, the screen is streets ahead of the V, there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. So why would they recommend you don't buy one.

I suspect that’s a business decision not to replace, based on cash flow, rather than any advantage of one device over another. It might also suggest that there is no ready market for secondhand Nav V’s, despite the world and his wife hearing (and then automatically believing) that the Nav VI is a shonky device.

In short, they have landed on: ‘If it ain’t broke (and we can’t make any money out of it) we don’t need to fix it’.

Try reading the Nav V in bright sunshine and you'll struggle, the VI is easily done.

Yep, I've heard this said. Not experienced any such issue with my Nav V though. Just my own observation.

Despite trying to induce shadow, I could not see the screen when the sun was shining directly on it - the Nav VI is fine.

70K miles in the sun with my Nav 5. Never had any issues with the sun LOL I guess I didn't allow BMW to convince me there was an issue in the first place.
:rob

70K miles in the sun with my Nav 5. Never had any issues with the sun LOL I guess I didn't allow BMW to convince me there was an issue in the first place.
:rob

18k miles with my Nav V on an RT, if the sun was shining, couldn't fcuk all, had to rely on voice prompts. Done about 3k with the VI, not one issue viewing screen. The V is fine, I wouldn't have swapped if I hadn't got a good deal and a good price for mine. But regardless of any marketing bollocks, the VI screen is a lot better and it calculates faster, plus it has more memory, so you don't need an sd card for maps.

never used voice prompts either ..... completely unnecessary IMHO:confused:
That darn sun.......:D

I had a V. Bought the VI when it first came out. Found the display to actually be less easy to see than the V - so sent the VI back and got a refund. Still happily using the V now.

Back
Top Bottom