ULEZ update

My understanding is the Nox test is to be done under lab conditions?, not something that a private individual can source??..

Can anyone enlighten me?, if the 1150 single sparks are coming in well under the limit then I guess so would the 1100?..

I guess that due the age (the 1100 was out in 1994) BMW never tested the 1100 for Nox emissions so have no official data to prove one way or the other.

Here is the wording on the email I got back from BMW.

Your motorbike was produced in 2001 and at that time the CO, HC and NOx calculation on your vehicle was not an EU/ UK CoC requirement therefore this information is missing from the certificate.

However, the CO, HC and NOx values of your motorbike are available in the European Type Approval documentation and we were able to include them in a letter which you can use to approach TfL directly for the daily charge waiver.

Might be worth an ask if the ETA documents contain the info.
Good luck.

Here is the wording on the email I got back from BMW.

Your motorbike was produced in 2001 and at that time the CO, HC and NOx calculation on your vehicle was not an EU/ UK CoC requirement therefore this information is missing from the certificate.

However, the CO, HC and NOx values of your motorbike are available in the European Type Approval documentation and we were able to include them in a letter which you can use to approach TfL directly for the daily charge waiver.

Might be worth an ask if the ETA documents contain the info.
Good luck.

I have contacted a Service center out Essex way to see what they can do.. I will fire off a few questions regarding the ETA..

Will post back with findings.

Yes the 1150 is well under 0.03.
Let me check my email from BM

Surely that will flag all 1150 engines up on the TFL system then? Or does everyone have to register individual machines?

I don't think my R80GS will pass. Unless anyone knows any different.

Surely that will flag all 1150 engines up on the TFL system then? Or does everyone have to register individual machines?

I don't think my R80GS will pass. Unless anyone knows any different.

You'd think so wouldn't you but I have a feeling they are expecting every individual to register or pay, which gives rise to my question earlier that if someone pays when they didn't have to because TfL database is inaccurate, where does that leave them!!!

Not sure if this has been posted anywhere but may be of interest - from MAG

News from the Motorcycle Action Group (MAG)

MAG recommends ULEZ ‘breathing space’ for motorcycles

This version: 2019 03 04

The Motorcycle Action Group (MAG) has asked London authorities to allow time with bikers to prevent an angry, administratively nightmarish chaos over ULEZ charges for motorcycles.

MAG met with former Chair of the Transport Committee on the Greater London Authority, Keith Prince AM, at London’s City Hall to seek a postponement for motorcycles from the ULEZ pollution charges for older motorbikes. This was supplemented by a formal letter to the Mayor, Sadiq Khan, requesting the postponement. Reasons identified for the postponement of the charges include:

• The Mayor and TfL haven’t yet grasped issues relating to the introduction of the ULEZ charge for older bikes. This means eleventh-hour panic could lead to ill-considered, knee jerk decisions from bikers and also from policy makers.

• Postponing ULEZ on motorcycles has a tiny impact on emissions. By TfL’s own figures fewer than 4,000 bikes will be non-compliant with Euro 3 – a figure itself already declining through entirely legitimate individual exemptions.

• ULEZ as it stands means the certainty of injustice, as one biker can be charged whilst riding next to a biker with an identical bike that’s exempt.

• Postponement can still lead to charging in 2021 if evidence proves the case for it. Currently TfL has no meaningful evidence on motorcycle emissions, nor effective modelling techniques to know the positive effect of modal shift to powered two wheelers. A delay provides time to measure real world emissions and journey time-savings – which will also reduce congestion and thus secondary emissions.

• The social impact on the poorest road users, who can often only afford older motorcycles and scooters for their commuting needs, has been totally ignored and turns the ULEZ charges into a regressive tax against the least wealthy.

• TfL has yet to justify the disproportionate effect of charging motorcycles, which would have to pay the same as older cars, while newer cars get in for free.

MAG’s Director of Communications & Public Affairs, Lembit Öpik, warns: ‘there’s a pressing need to take all of this into account to avoid administrative nightmares and injustices. Many motorcycles facing the charge are operating at emissions levels below the ULEZ emissions thresholds. TfL would be obliged to refund any payments made by those riders. So let’s be sensible and postpone this charge, before the whole thing descends into chaos.’

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got mine...it works.

Got mine through today, all approved by TFL without the money to BMW. Just followed the original info on this thread.

I (eventually) got my letter from BMW this morning confirming NOx emmissions of 0.03g/kg for my 2001 R1150GS. No charge for this.

tumblr_pny262rKVu1rcg5c2o1_1280.jpg

My reply to email sent to the Eccoc lot.... at the same time I asked about my V5, because apparently my black x Country was registered as a white X Moto!! Somebody has cocked up somewhere down the line.... but the good news is, both 1150 and 650 Xco are ULEZ '0' :thumby: I just won't bother riding to Londinium on the old R80.

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your e-mail.

We can confirm that the VIN: WB10************ relates to a G 650 X Country motorbike.

Unfortunately, a vehicle manufactured in 1988 does not hold a European Type Approval as it’s too old and subsequently BMW (UK) does not have any information regarding the emissions. In order to find support on your matter we would recommend you to contact BMW Germany directly, the Customer Service might help you with their contact details.

It is with regret we cannot be of greater assistance.

Kind regards,

The Homologation Team

[OT]

OldCroc, I'm always fascinated by your avatar picture. Do you have a larger version of it? Overheating?

[/OT]

Its a small bird stuck in by the header - facing forward. Got home and smelled something cooking! Had a quick look for the photo but will take me a lot longer to trawl through my hundreds of pics.

ahah – ok, no worries.
For some reasons I thought it was a damaged header and was curious about how damaged. Mistery (for me) solved! ;)

TFL got back to me today to say "Based on the information that you have provided we can confirm that your vehicle registration XXXXXXX meets the Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ) emissions standards. This means you will not need to pay an ULEZ charge to travel in the zone, from 8 April 2019.The vehicle compliance database will be updated to reflect the correct details of your vehicle, before the scheme commences"

Very pleased with this, and grateful for the help on this site. But really what an unnecessary stress this has been, given the R1150GS emissions are 1/5 of the ULEZ limit, and I'm sure that is true of an awful lot of bikes that currently fall into the ULEZ charge.

I (eventually) got my letter from BMW this morning confirming NOx emmissions of 0.03g/kg for my 2001 R1150GS. No charge for this.

tumblr_pny262rKVu1rcg5c2o1_1280.jpg

and I'm sure that is true of an awful lot of bikes that currently fall into the ULEZ charge

We can maybe say that ULEZ (at least for bikes) was mostly for show? :D

We can maybe say that ULEZ (at least for bikes) was mostly for show? :D

I'm actually not sure how many non beemers do though, I'm sure it is the cat that has saved us from this tax and as far as I know most Jap stuff didn't have this that early.

I'm actually not sure how many non beemers do though, I'm sure it is the cat that has saved us from this tax and as far as I know most Jap stuff didn't have this that early.

Mine didn't have it for very long, either of them!

Back
Top Bottom