electronic ignition for r 100rt

Deleted account 220427001

Reaction score
Hello all feed back please got a old beemer with points ignition runs ok is it worth upgrading to electronic ignition like boyer bransden etc gonna use it as a winter hack etc aka sheene

Electronic any day for me. Even my Velocette has electronic ignition. better spark, no points to adjust no capacitor to fail and they are very reliable. Why do you think no new car or good bike has points now?

A points bike will be coming up for 40 years old, and there is a possibility that the points system may not be performing the way it did when new.

If it is not you don't have to replace many bits before you have spent more than replacing it with a fit and forget system which is better in every measurable way.

The question is then, will you notice the difference in everyday running, and that depends on how your existing system is performing.
I did on my bikes, but I test them with full throttle runs up a particularly steep test hill ----------.

All Boyer systems fit easily to points bikes, the basic analogue system is cheap enough, and the one I fitted to my R75/7 twenty years ago has been fit and forget.

The more expensive microdigital system brings the advantage of a digital curve, etc, and a new coil, leads, caps, etc, and is a guaranteed fix for ignition problems, particularly with twin plugged bikes which seem to like the Boyer curve.

Both electronically fire at equal intervals so they can improve smoothness too.

No regrets about fixing them , but you do need to be able to read, understand and follow the fitting instruction , so they are not for everyone!

Back
Top Bottom