Biting the Bullet

Yes, make sure you get the last bits of blasting stuff out.. I know people who haven't LOL

That will be me then. The first engine I built over 30 years ago - a lightly modified Imp lump. Fcuked the big end bearings in less than a 1,000 miles, changed them without regrinding the crank (again...) and all was fine until I sold it.

It went through the de-greaser tank a number of times, then flushed and blown through each time and still remnants were there to wreak havoc within a few miles.

That will be me then. The first engine I built over 30 years ago - a lightly modified Imp lump. Fcuked the big end bearings in less than a 1,000 miles, changed them without regrinding the crank (again...) and all was fine until I sold it.

It went through the de-greaser tank a number of times, then flushed and blown through each time and still remnants were there to wreak havoc within a few miles.

It's imperative that all oilways are masked off with plastic plugs and that none come out during the blasting process as even re-bounding shot will find its way in.. and they get stuck in the drillings where one oil hole runs into another... They can be over drilled so have dead areas where the bits love to stick until obviously you've re-built the thing and oil is going through.. and out they come.. does not take much to wreck a white metal bearing... 10 grains or so...
I've used ultrasonics in the past after pluging, then pipe cleaners and so on.. takes ages to check every last oilway until your happy all are clear :)

so....

if you can buy the paint over the counter, then why dont BMW sell it as an option at build time, ie premium paint pack? i know we should not have to!

Even if it was an extra thousand pounds most would select the option.

So it turns out that there is an oil pressure relief valve just behind where the oil filter bolts on...and yes its plastic so that melted when going through the powder coating process - it's on order. All the pieces have been inspected, and the mating surfaces have been cleaned, the oil passages have been blown through with compressed air and brake cleaner. One of the three new bearings innside the engine cases was being stubborn and had to spend some time in the freezer.

Final drive is slowly being reassembled as well. The panzer is slowly coming back together.

Go on then....I'm in :popcorn

Make sure you send the photo's to BMW so they can see 'what should be done :green gri'

Fantastic to see someone doing things right with attention to detail. This will be better than new when re-assembled. Are you going to take the opportunity to up-rate the suspension as everything's apart or will you re-valve it? At 36K miles on the original units, they're probably in need of some tlc! Great project :thumby:

The shocks are going for a rebuild next week. I toyed with the idea of a Wilbers upgrade but I've read on here that if the base BMW shock is knackered then the Wilbers conversion doesn't fix that.

so the plastic bearings just hold the gearbox shafts?... or arn't I seeing this right??

Yes...Well, they're metal roller bearings with a plastic centre (incorporating a nozzle) which does exactly what you've stated. They hold the three main gear shafts.

Back
Top Bottom