Any Recommendations Between Bilbao and Albarracin?

Sideshow Bob

Reaction score
Traveling from Bilbao to Alcossebre in May and looking for a couple of stops
For the second night I quite fancy Albarracin and the hotel Arabia recommended by Simon on here which gives us just a couple of hours to hop over to Alcossebre
But with getting off the ferry at about 2 in the afternoon was just looking for somewhere for the first night, already done Logrono and Pamplona and Siguenza and not sure about Soria although it’s the right distance from Bilbao for the first night
Any suggestions please?

For your first night, I would suggest Domingo De Silos, a 1 horse town with a lovely hotel, Hostal Santo Domingo De Silos. Beautiful and very inexpensive. You are only 20 mins from the film set of "The Good, The Bad & The Ugly".
It is circa 2 hours from Bilbao to this hotel, and spend the rest of the first afternoon visiting the film set. (Sad Hill Cemetry) 1st Photo is hotel reception desk.

Attachments

• Bike trip2018 016.jpg
    Bike trip2018 016.jpg
    228.8 KB · Views: 293
  • The Good The Bad & The Ugly (7).jpg
    The Good The Bad & The Ugly (7).jpg
    252.4 KB · Views: 313
We stayed in the Parador at Soria a couple of years ago, but it was absolutely roasting and the hotel was at the top of a steep hill, so we didn't venture into town at all. Riding through town to get to the hotel didn't look massively interesting, but we might have missed the interesting bits. Reputedly the 'smallest city in Spain.' The main roads to the east and southeast are long, straight and empty, and would be a fine place to try the top speed on your bike if only you could be sure of not getting caught.

We stayed in the Parador at Soria a couple of years ago, but it was absolutely roasting and the hotel was at the top of a steep hill, so we didn't venture into town at all. Riding through town to get to the hotel didn't look massively interesting, but we might have missed the interesting bits. Reputedly the 'smallest city in Spain.' The main roads to the east and southeast are long, straight and empty, and would be a fine place to try the top speed on your bike if only you could be sure of not getting caught.

There is a pleasant walk into Soria, if it's not too hot. It gets plenty lively in the evening.

Last time we were at the Parador, it was during a Fiesta, so the town was awash with beer cans & urine, both Human & Equine. Atmospheric though & we had the added delight?? of the Parador hosting various famous Matadors - poseurs the lot of them, as you might expect.

There is a great ride north to Logrono (N111) too - just take the mountain pass, the Puerto de Piqueras (1710m), not the tunnel. Needs a Busa/ZZR really though.

Thanks guys, good suggestions
Myke - I’m liking the look of hotel Santo Domingo De Silos as you say 2 hours from Bilbao and about 4 hours from Albarracin - pretty perfect location - thanks again

There is a pleasant walk into Soria, if it's not too hot. It gets plenty lively in the evening.

Last time we were at the Parador, it was during a Fiesta, so the town was awash with beer cans & urine, both Human & Equine. Atmospheric though & we had the added delight?? of the Parador hosting various famous Matadors - poseurs the lot of them, as you might expect.

There is a great ride north to Logrono (N111) too - just take the mountain pass, the Puerto de Piqueras (1710m), not the tunnel. Needs a Busa/ZZR really though.

We took that road in June 2017 and had no choice over using the tunnel as it was closed. It is indeed a fantastic ride - the K1600 was fine two up! I was quite reserved as we'd passed a load of police speed as we approached the hills heading out of Soria and I was paranoid about getting stopped as I was wearing wired earplugs!

Of all the Paradores we stayed in that year (or since) Soria was the least inspiring, probably because it was a newish one rather than the older buildings we'd stayed in. But mainly I just remember it being so bloody hot - 38 degrees on the ride to Soria from Alcaniz via Calatayud, and it took an age to cool down afterwards. The restaurant was good, but most/all of the other Parador restaurants were amazing.

Quinten, the latest Soria Parador is a joy...... compared with the old, small, creaky wooden place that preceeded it. In fairness, still a warm welcome, but we made sure we knew the fire route!

Quinten, the latest Soria Parador is a joy...... compared with the old, small, creaky wooden place that preceded it. In fairness, still a warm welcome, but we made sure we knew the fire route!

Never stayed in the old one, but the one we stayed in was a bit modern and felt sterile. Compared to others before and after, it was the one to which I'd least want to return. That's not to say it's bad, of course, as we have stayed in some magnificent ones. Favourite so far is Cardona. Or Lerma. Or Alcaniz. Or... well, you get the picture.

(We're staying in two more in June, both more modern ones. It'll be interesting to see how they compare.)

Try the Hotel Infantado we stayed there a couple of years ago and it’s a short run from Santander. Address is Carretera General Ojedo s/n, Ojedo, 39584. Food was great but they spoke little English at the time. Beautiful roads around the area and worth staying for a day or two if you have time.

Actually this may be more appropriate if you were travelling via Santander.

Try the Hotel Infantado we stayed there a couple of years ago and it’s a short run from Santander. Address is Carretera General Ojedo s/n, Ojedo, 39584. Food was great but they spoke little English at the time. Beautiful roads around the area and worth staying for a day or two if you have time.

Actually this may be more appropriate if you were travelling via Santander.

Is it still going ?

Stayed there 20 years ago

Good to hear it's still alive

How about Olite, I've never been there but it looks amazing and as I'm now working with a Navarran on the TET we worked a detour to include it in the route! :)

There's a Parador and also another old 'palace' style hotel that ticks all of my boxes, apart form my budget ... :(

With luck I'll be there sometime in June, so if anyone cares to fund a stay I'll tell you wjat it's like! :)

Regs

Simon

How about Olite, I've never been there but it looks amazing and as I'm now working with a Navarran on the TET we worked a detour to include it in the route! :)

There's a Parador and also another old 'palace' style hotel that ticks all of my boxes, apart form my budget ... :(

With luck I'll be there sometime in June, so if anyone cares to fund a stay I'll tell you what it's like! :)

Regs

Simon

We stayed in the Parador at Olite in June 2018. Another great Parador and an amazing old town. There is bike parking round the back of the Parador - unload kit at the main entrance then ride round to the little terrace. There is no other parking nearby, so cars have to go elsewhere.

If you stay there, you have to visit the castle. Costs a few euros, takes a couple of hours and, while wandering round old ruins isn't usually my thing, this place is amazing. The original Disney castle, I think. You'll walk up and down a million spiral stairs.

Photo%2011-06-2018%2C%2014%2039%2039-M.jpg

EDIT: I've looked at the website for the hotel mentioned above and while I'm sure it's lovely, the Parador is better in my view.

We stayed in the Parador at Olite in June 2018. Another great Parador and an amazing old town. There is bike parking round the back of the Parador - unload kit at the main entrance then ride round to the little terrace. There is no other parking nearby, so cars have to go elsewhere.

If you stay there, you have to visit the castle. Costs a few euros, takes a couple of hours and, while wandering round old ruins isn't usually my thing, this place is amazing. The original Disney castle, I think. You'll walk up and down a million spiral stairs.

Photo%2011-06-2018%2C%2014%2039%2039-M.jpg

EDIT: I've looked at the website for the hotel mentioned above and while I'm sure it's lovely, the Parador is better in my view.

Thanks for this. I'll have to get to Olite later this year! :)

Hi Simon
We stayed in Olite for a few days in 2017 and enjoyed it, the castle is really good and definitely worth a visit
We stayed at hotel El Juglar on the main road, it was ok but I wouldn’t stay again, the Parador is really well situated and although we don’t know the hotel Merindad, we ate at a restaurant owned by the hotel and it was superb

Hi Simon
We stayed in Olite for a few days in 2017 and enjoyed it, the castle is really good and definitely worth a visit
We stayed at hotel El Juglar on the main road, it was ok but I wouldn’t stay again, the Parador is really well situated and although we don’t know the hotel Merindad, we ate at a restaurant owned by the hotel and it was superb

Thanks for the recommendations. I've know several people who've tried the camping at Olite, absolute pants! It's really a mobile home park and there was ony ine gravelly space for 'real' campers' and then they couldnt sleep for the traffic roaring by on the motorway - one reason why I've never stayed at Olite - but as the TET goes there (BTW, I'm the TET 'Linesman' for Spain) it's always handy to kow accommodation.

Last year John Ross rode that section of the TET and raved about a country 'auberge', Casa Pedro, in the countryside nearly - so I diverted the TET to go right past their door :) - but personally of I'm gong to pay for accommodation I prefer to go to a small town or city and do some tourism - and check out the tapas bars and local totty talent :) - even still for me a hotel is just a place to sleep and I look for 'hostales' which are cheaper than hotels (and star by star often better!) and usually family run. Sure enough the Hostal Vieja seems to fit teh bill ...

Regs

Simo

Back
Top Bottom