Trouble at home

daffyduck1962

Reaction score
I bought R1200GS ICONIC 2 days after buying a Versys 1000 (2015) because the seat is the most comfortable I’ve ever parked my backside on.
But I have 2 problems that stop me from riding this bike. First, the front end is so vague going into corners it’s worrying, and the second problem is I struggle to get my leg over the seat due to the height.
Once I’ve managed to get on the bike, I can reach the floor with ease (fat arse).
Can the seat height be lowered despite the ESA suspension? By how much and cost?
I was told the cornering issue is due to the Anakee tyres currently fitted. Was told to go for the Michelin Trail Pilot 5’s.
Is the problem due to the tyres? Are these any good on this bike?
Anybody else had this problem and did you find it was due to another factor?
If so, what was the problem, how did you rectify it?

Attachments

• IMG_20190216_092136.jpg
    IMG_20190216_092136.jpg
    257.2 KB · Views: 354
Sounds like you'll soon be Kevin2bikes. :D

I have Annakee 3 tyres the same as yours. They seem to be getting better as they get scrubbed-in, however I noticed the new 1250's seem to have moved to Bridgestone (or at least the ones in Bowker BMW yesterday)...
I didn't like the feel at first, but getting used to it. I will swap for something "stickier" when the Annakee's get worn out ;)

Check your tire pressures, (2.5 bar front, 2.9 rear) the Anakee 3s are good tires even though some folks complain about them being noisy (which they are) yours don’t look too worn judging by the photo ?

Some folks can’t get on with the telelever front end and find it vague,

Most people, like myself, love it. It does give slightly less feedback than conventional forks but once you’re used to it it gives bags of confidence and the handling is far better than most bikes and most riders

If you've come from a Versys and traditional forks you will have to recalibrate how you think the front end should feel.
Also - Anakees are fine. Way better than most here will admit to.
PR5 Trails are also very good - have them fitted to mine now due to much more m'way mileage over winter and they again need a mental recalibration due to a much, much sharper turn in - very much more like a traditional 4cyl/telescopic fork bike so don't be too rash.
Run it in, get used to and go from there.
If not you'll shift the Anakees on here fast enough if you decide to change.

I bought R1200GS ICONIC 2 days after buying a Versys 1000 (2015) because the seat is the most comfortable I’ve ever parked my backside on.
But I have 2 problems that stop me from riding this bike. First, the front end is so vague going into corners it’s worrying, and the second problem is I struggle to get my leg over the seat due to the height.
Once I’ve managed to get on the bike, I can reach the floor with ease (fat arse).
Can the seat height be lowered despite the ESA suspension? By how much and cost?
I was told the cornering issue is due to the Anakee tyres currently fitted. Was told to go for the Michelin Trail Pilot 5’s.
Anybody else had this problem and did you find it was due to another factor?
If so, what was the problem, how did you rectify it?

Has your bike had the fork recall done ?

Give yourself time to get used to the bike, stop over thinking it and just ride the thing.
The GS is the best handling motorcycle on the planet and the Ankalee's are awesome.
Knee down tyres.
Getting on: I always hold the brake and step on using the foot peg, if i didn't i would end up kicking the luggage.
If you want lower, always ride with the ESA on full soft and 1 helmet. You can get a low seat or cut down the stock but you shouldn't need to.
It is just about getting used to a new bike. A good week long holiday on the bike + a track day and you will feel at home.

99.9% of the times, the problem is the dude sitting on the bike.
Do some miles with the bike. Maybe try removing that coffin at the back while you get used to the bike. :D

Give yourself time to get used to the bike, stop over thinking it and just ride the thing.
The GS is the best handling motorcycle on the planet and the Ankalee's are awesome.
Knee down tyres.
Getting on: I always hold the brake and step on using the foot peg, if i didn't i would end up kicking the luggage.
If you want lower, always ride with the ESA on full soft and 1 helmet. You can get a low seat or cut down the stock but you shouldn't need to.
It is just about getting used to a new bike. A good week long holiday on the bike + a track day and you will feel at home.

I 've tried using the footpeg to climb onto my 1100; it always feels like the bike will come over; or the stand will snap; do you have a foot on the bottom of your stand to make the bike stand more upright by any chance?

Bike on side stand, and turn the bars so the RH bar is nearest the tank

This will bring the bike lower , and then you need to get used to swinging your leg over.

It like hurdling in slow motion ;)

Avon Trailriders are another good tyre

Back
Top Bottom