Waterproof Glove recommendations. for use with heated grips?

Von Stolberg

To Harwich and beyond!!!
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Medically, I'm not good with cold.
I find my heated grips are near compulsory on cold days.

I find some of my membrane-lined gloves not so good in the wet
IF i have my heated grips on ( water flows IN , not OUT, when heated)
Can anyone recommend some gloves that are waterproof even when the heated grips are on?

I know Muff's would be better, but ......:rolleyes:

I have to say I haven't noticed this with heated grips on on rainy days.

How about heated gloves? I've never used them but the current other half (who is much more of a year round rider than I am, by the way) swears by hers. The heating is inside the membrane, obviously.

Roomie, there's no magical solution but the best combination I've tried so far has been goretex gloves (take yer pick) heated grips and handguards. Accepted wisdom is that the heated grips and goretex should not work, but I have yet to experience any water leaking in.

Held Air-n-dry gloves get a lot of recommendations, they're the ones with a waterproof second 'chamber' you use if it's wet. Personally, I didn't like them, they felt odd, but that was off the bike in the shop which can often be misleading.

Dryest gloves I've ever had...

were the Sealskinz I melted on the electric radiator at Gasthaus Hochalmspitz

(Oh what a stupid mistake!)

:blast:blast:blast

Summer gloves and black Nitrile disposable 'tattoo' gloves over the top, £10 for 100.
All my 'waterproof' gloves have wicked water on heated grips.

I recall reading a couple of years ago that Gortex and heat are not good bedfellows, the heat from heated grips increases the size of the pores allowing not only vapour egress which Goretex is famous for but also allowing water ingress.

Unless there have been some technical developments since?

I am like you, in that as I suffer from Raynauds I have permanently cold hands. My Gerbing heated gloves developed a fault and they have been replaced under their excellent warranty. The new ones are marked as waterproof and definitely are of a different material than my 3 year old originals.
They are superbly warm and crucially they heat the whole of the hand and fingers, not just the palms.
If they really are waterproof (yet to test that out), they'd be perfect.

Muffs every time.

Even on the coldest winter days I used them with vented gloves and heated grips.

Didn't have that issue with my toasty Rukka Apollo ;)

It's only a matter if time before the heated grips ruin a pair of them which is a shame as they're a great glove.

I've a pair of dual chamber Rukka R-Stars which are pretty warm and very waterproof but I tend to use them on my bikes without heated grips. On my KTM, in winter, it's always muffs/heated grips/summer gloves. There's no better combo IMO.

Andres

Any old gloves and steal a pair of the wifes Marigolds for the inside, hands will not get wet, and you will feel the heated grips better.

Medically, I'm not good with cold.
I find my heated grips are near compulsory on cold days.

I find some of my membrane-lined gloves not so good in the wet
IF i have my heated grips on ( water flows IN , not OUT, when heated)
Can anyone recommend some gloves that are waterproof even when the heated grips are on?

I know Muff's would be better, but ......:rolleyes:

If it really is as bad as ‘water flows in’ then I would suggest it’s not caused by heated grips. In my experience heated grips at worst cause a bit of dampness to creep in under heat/vapour pressure caused by the heating. But at least it’s warm and damp and tbh I only really notice when I stop or turn off the heated grips.

Jacket cuff pulled tight over the top of the gloves with a good overlap should stop water running in at the top. Spray gloves with something (Nikwax or similar) to cause water to bead up should help prevent the leather or the textile from wetting out.

Having said all that I have never had a glove that worked in extreme rain. Gloves can be fine for a short distance or low speeds but down the motorway for a few hours and rain always gets in (and down your neck).

Problem also is that once you stop and take your gloves off, try getting a pair of sodden wet gloves back on (even if they are bone dry inside) in the rain without your hands getting wet and carrying that moisture inside the waterproof layer.

Problem also is that once you stop and take your gloves off, try getting a pair of sodden wet gloves back on (even if they are bone dry inside) in the rain without your hands getting wet and carrying that moisture inside the waterproof layer.

Lol, I have a pair of 'budget' Polo gloves that are great at keeping the water out, but a slightly wet hand will be near impossible to get on, or will turn inside out when removing a damp hand. <rolls eyes>

i still have my '95 'Nato issue' for serious monsoon autobahn's , (heaters OFF i guess)

Thank You everyone for the varied suggestions, all given due consideration. :)

(curious shortage of 'muff' jokes tho ?!) :D

My old favourite, Rukka Raptor, gloves are often used with heated grips in summer as I’m not that bothered about wet hands if it’s only slightly cold.

For cold wet weather I wear Gerbings heated gloves and never turn on the heated grips.

On tour last year in hot weather, when it did rain (Vive le France!) I was quite happy with sodden supermoto Alpinestars with heated grips on.

Back
Top Bottom