Multiple battery charging???

mavis cruet

Reaction score
Right then. Ive got 4 x 12v bike batteries (different amperages) that im constantly shuffling my optimate battery charger round. They’re all off the bikes and the charger clicks onto the green for go light as soon as its connected to each one. Could i possibly connect them all together in parallel and then connect them to the charger like that? Or is that just stoopid? Cheers, k.

Motobatt make chargers that will manage 4 bikes at once.

26eaaddebdf335d84447cd7386f75329.jpg

7e0ad8853bbe80d273fe4cc4995be204.jpg

Google for best price.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Having done it once I would not buy a multi bank charger like the Deltrans or Motobatt one again, after a few years one bank failed quickly followed by a second one and then a third etc.

At the same time a single charger bought 4 years previously continued to work and still does ............. no one will entertain repairing these and they are basically throw away.

In the pics above the second 4 bank unit is a repackaged Delrans Battery tender

If you are happy to hook them up that way to an old fashioned non digital not smart charger then it would work. Just be careful because it would be very easy to let a battery or cell go dry. You could end up with a lot of explosive gas if you don’t keep an eye on them. Once the cells start bubbling that’s it. It can’t take any more charge. A hydrometer is your friend. JJH

Although you will end up with 4 chargers try Lidl they have 12v chargers for about £10 each last week at least you only lose one charger at a time if they go wrong. Normally they have a 12 month warranty.

Barny

If you connect 4 batteries in parallel will that be same as one 12 battery with 4 times Ah? Would it be like trying to charge a tractor battery? If it were me I wouldn't bother, just rotate the charger once a week as they are hardly going to be damaged by not having a charger connected for 3 weeks, or would they?

If a battery is a good quality maintenance free (agm) and assuming it was in good order and fully charged when the bike was laid up, it should not need charging over several months but should be topped up just before the bike is started again - if the parasitic draw is high for whatever reason, then just disconnect the negative terminal when laying the bike up.

My own experience with an optimate charger was not good and probably contributed to the early failure of a battery so I prefer to use an old fashioned trickle charger which works fine. My K1100 is the only bike which is not fitted with a Motobatt yet as the originalis still clinging on. As it’s a pain to get at I don’t disconnect it and I’ve not checked the parasit draw but, so far, all it needs is a couple of hours on the trickle charger and works fine.

Charging batteries in parallel is likely to confuse an optimate type thingy but maintaining fully charged batteries should be OK assuming one of them doesn’t go short circuit or something.

I would just carry on doing what you are doing. On the basis that they dont really need much charging (green light on immediately you say) it obviously works OK.

I too have 4 bike batteries and do the same as you. have done for years. Simples. No problem.*

* and I actually also have 3 different chargers acquired at various times for various reasons, but only use the 1 and rotate it as its soooo easy.........

Back
Top Bottom